Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    NH TC40DA

Default What size shop press for farm shop?

I need to rebuild a PTO shaft on our farm jeep. I've used a hammer and socket on U-joints, but this (according to others who have done the rebuild) is a job for a shop press. I don't have a lot of floor space or money. I've done some searching here and the HF 20-ton press seems to be OK. But it seems overkill for small farm shop jobs.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Barry
    Lawson Hill Farm
    NH TC40DA
    '64 IH Cub Lo-Boy
    '47 Willys Jeep CJ2a w/ PTO
    '49 Willys Jeep CJ3a w/ PTO & 3pt lift
    http://www.farmjeep.com/

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Dad's=JD4440;IH1066;JD4020;JD3010;2 JD"B" 1949 & 1937(hand-crank)

Default Re: What size shop press for farm shop?

I bought my Dad a 20 ton HF press, when it was on sale some years ago, for $159. It has worked good and I don't feel it takes up too much space. Sure is handy when you need it. I did lag bolt 4"x6" blocks underneath it to raise it up to a more comfortable height. We also needed that height to press off a bearing on a long shaft. I feel it is a good value.

Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

I have the HF 12 ton press. Have used it many times on U-joint replacement and it works fine. Don't know if you have an air chisel with a tip assortment but I found the air chisel with a blunt driver tip works the fastest for removing the old U-joints. If I remember right the 12T was around $100. I mounted mine to one of HF rolling 4 wheel dolly cart to move it around the garage. I'm hoping to build a bigger garage / pole barn this year and once its done I'll mount the press to the floor.

Tractor
    Power Trac PT-425 / Branson 3520

Quote Originally Posted by George2615 View Post
    I have the HF 12 ton press. Have used it many times on U-joint replacement and it works fine. Don't know if you have an air chisel with a tip assortment but I found the air chisel with a blunt driver tip works the fastest for removing the old U-joints. If I remember right the 12T was around $100. I mounted mine to one of HF rolling 4 wheel dolly cart to move it around the garage. I'm hoping to build a bigger garage / pole barn this year and once its done I'll mount the press to the floor.
    Several years ago, I borrowed a friend's 12T HF press to do some suspension work. It did you job, but it felt like we were going to break it. When I decided to buy my own press, I went for the HF 20T because of that experience. I'm glad I did. The 20T has done everything I have asked it to do, without feeling like I am over stressing it.

It's definitely not overkill for farm work. As stated earlier, they periodically go on sale for a decent price.
    Last edited by SnowRidge; 01-04-2009 at 04:19 PM.

Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

I also bought the HF 20 t. It has worked well

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD 4520, Toolcat 5610, Bobcat S300, Case-IH 125 Pro, Case-IH 245, IH 1086, IH 806

I thought I was the only one who bought the HF 20 T press. Don't use it a lot, but it is the right tool for many tasks. Great for bending back bent pieces of metal.

Tractor
    New holland TC(33)

I have the HF 10 or 12 T shop press, but when the goof balls that loaded it into my truck tossed in the box with the 20T bottle jack.

So i have a 10/12T frame with a 20T bottle jack. Pressed plenty of bearings/U-joints etc.
    Steve - TC33D 4x4 FEL, dual rear remotes with toys

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by schmism View Post
    but when the goof balls that loaded it into my truck tossed in the box with the 20T bottle jack....
    Don't leave us hanging, what happened ?
    ::Sent from a standard desktop keyboard::

My Photobucket

Tractor
    Kubota L4400 2 Ford 8n's

Buy the biggest you can afford, you won't be sorry.

Veteran Member

I have the HF 20-t also. I also had to make height extentions for it or use it standing on my knees! Those Chinese are some short little guys!
    I also took an old boat winch and rigged it on top with a cable down eash side to the table for ajusting. If you have the plates on the table and/or work you can't change the height without removing everything.
    I use mine for everything. I straighten metal up to 1/2" all the time. I even use it for punching 1/4" X 3" neoprene seals that I need. I just use light pressure for those. I've straightened shafts too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast