I Remember...

/ I Remember... #21  
Hiya,

Can I add a few?

Riding your Sears coaster brake bike 5 miles down to the gas station/store (with the quarter your dad gave you for cutting the front grass all morning with a cast iron push reel mower) to get a 10 cent coke, 10 Bazooka's and 5 Atomic fireballs.

Listining to the chain slap up against the chain guard as you rode to the store on the dirt roads, standing up on the pedals coasting along.

How cold the water in the Coke cooler was as you pushed your bottle along the track until you got it to the gate and put your dime in and got it out.

Drinking your Coke on the front steps of the gas station, sucking on one of the fireballs, burning your mouth and taking it out because it was so dam hot! :eek:

Tom

/ I Remember... #22  
Hiya,

Can I add a few?
Riding your Sears coaster brake bike 5 miles down to the gas station/store
Tom
Me and my cousin thot we were big stuff driving our home built motorized go cart to the neighborhood mom and pop grocery store to get a coke or to get our parents a loaf of bread or something.
We were way ahead of the go cart craze as go carts hadn't been invented yet back in the mid fifties.

/ I Remember... #23  
sticks

Swinging on vines in the woods, and using the heavy kid to test them first

Good Evenin Hunterridgefarm,
That was a great post, thanks !!! My buddy did the vine thing also, he was the unlucky one, the vine broke and he broke his leg, and I got to drag him out of the woods ! :) Thanks for reminding me !!! ;)

BTW I did post a link to that kitchen table for you also, hope you had a chance to take a look !

/ I Remember... #24  
Stop And Rob = Convenience Store aka Seven 11, Cumberland Farms, Handee Hugo, Kangaroo, or pretty much any gas station. :D

Here is many hundreds of miles from GA, KY, LA, and FL. :D

Later,
Dan

/ I Remember... #25  
I remember the first time I shot the single shot 16 gauge shotgun (on left, first pic) with my dad and uncle Ed in Middleport Pa. I made a mistake with the gun swinging the barrel at hip level while looking in another direction not knowing where the barrel was pointed at, and my Uncle Ed giving me a swift kick in the butt telling me what I did wrong and that I could of killed someone.

I also remember that gun giving me the fear of Jesus the first time I shot a 12 gauge (some time afterward). I figured the 12 gauge would kick me on my butt. Then I learned that the heavier the gun, the lighter the recoil (that 16 gauge was nothing but steel and plastic, kicked like a mule when you're a kid, but it was very light in weight).

I remember the very first "rifle" that I ever shot, the single shot .22 (on right, first pic) with my father up in New Hampshire. Shooting at cans on a dirt hill.

I remember going out shooting with my uncle Bill with the Remington (2nd pic) for the very first time when he came down from Mass to visit my mother and me while my father was overseas. We went up to the "coal banks" in Pa and I remember my uncle Bill trying to help me use the scope the on the gun (first time using a scope). The gun was so heavy that I had to put it on the car hood and use a box to stand me up. That was the first of many times out with that gun with my Uncle. He left that gun for me when he died.

I remember my first Daisy BB gun and my dad telling me to only kill what I intended to eat. Walking around by myself in the woods, I saw a bird in a tree. Being a child and seeing a "live" target, I just had to shoot it. I did. I did not know however that my father was following me silently, watching me. He asked me how I intended to cook that bird, for which I did not have an answer. I regret killing that bird.

All of this happened well over 30 years ago.

Although I have other guns, those three guns in the pics are ones that I would never, ever sell.

22 16 gauge.JPG

Matchmaster M513T.JPG

/ I Remember... #26  
How well I remember the days when my dad could fix anything, my mom could kiss any pain away, and my big brother always had my back. It's still so unreal to me that they are all gone, but oh my God the memories are still alive and kicking. As Bob Hope would say, "Thanks for the memories".

/ I Remember...
Good Evenin Hunterridgefarm,

BTW I did post a link to that kitchen table for you also, hope you had a chance to take a look !

Sorry Scotty I thought I replied to that:(. That was a very nice table!! Looks like you have some nice equipment. I have my grandfathers complete wood working shop. Craftsman, all of it 40 years old and in great shape. I remember sanding walnut trophy's at the age of 8. Always been involved in woodworking. I'll start a thread when I move the table up the project list.

Any one remember or did your old country stores have a gum ball machine with the Trading Balls? For .01 cent you would get 3 gumballs, the machine had speckled gum balls in it and if you got one of those you would get a dime, you could but a lot of candy with a dime:D !

David

/ I Remember...
Although I have other guns, those three guns in the pics are ones that I would never, ever sell.

I have my dad's single shot 30/30, his double barrel shot gun, and my first shotgun, a single shot 20ga.

/ I Remember... #29  
How well I remember the days when my dad could fix anything, my mom could kiss any pain away, and
1* my big brother always had my back.
2*It's still so unreal to me that they are all gone.
I didn't have a big brother just a brother that was 3 years younger than me.
He died about a year and a half ago.
Mom died in 1989 and dad in 1980.
There was only 4 in my family.

/ I Remember... #30