After jumpin' into Calico creek
I was walkin' down an old dirt road
Past a field of hay that had just been mowed
Man I wish you'd just left me alone
'Cause I was almost home"

"Man I wish you'd just left me alone
I was almost home..."

/ I Remember... #42  
Great memories ! Some of my best involve going to my great-grandparents home. Like, looking in the top compartment of the wood stove for a warm fried apple pie or biscuit, going to gather eggs from the hen house and other places in the barnyard, riding on the tractor w/ great-grandpaw to the sawmill on the "back 40", being fed possum and liking it before being told what it was, and mowing their yard with a reel mower for a shiny 50 cent piece. Anyone here remember, or still do, when flour was kept in a bin among the kitchen cabinets ? Don't see that option in any new homes LOL.

/ I Remember... #43  
And we could not wait to get the Sears Christmas Book or Wish Book, I would sat and look at that thing for hours...never knew there were that many toys

You mean to say they had toys in the Sears Christmas book!?

As a boy, I never made it past the womans section:D

/ I Remember... #44  
still have my dads daisy red rider he passed it to me when i was 5. he had a scar on his right cheek under his eye, never could grow hair after his brother shot him in the face at about 4 ft away. still have the bb he had removed too.

I too have a tiny scar just below my right eye on the top of my cheekbone from a one time event - a cowboy shootout with a friend. It never occurred to either of us that we could seriously hurt. I can still remember poping my head up from behind a picnic table and seeing the BB leave the gun and witnessing it's tragectory all the way to my face, a distance of about 30'. It just keeps getting bigger just like in the cartoons. :eek: MikeD74T

/ I Remember... #45  
Anyone here remember, or still do, when flour was kept in a bin among the kitchen cabinets ? Don't see that option in any new homes LOL.

Yup, and I remember my grandmother screening out the protein also. My mother still keeps her flour in the freezer. MikeD74T

/ I Remember... #46  
You guys are bringing back more memories for me.

I told my son one time, he had more toys at the age of two than I had all my life!

But I made up for it with my life size tractor toy!!

Good Mornin David,
Good one thanks for the chuckle ! But pretty darn close to the truth, I do believe I have a few tractor toys myself, but darn still no dozer ! :confused:;):)

Barn first then dozer ! ;)

/ I Remember... #47  
OK, now I do have some outdoor memories, too, but did anybody else collect the Hardy Boys mysteries? I started with some from older cousins and then got in the habit. Bought one for every special occasion. I still have them and maybe one of the grandkids will want them. My own kids never really got into them. I used to sit on the big wide porch of our house that looked out over the small town we lived in during thunder storms....best time to read a mystery!

Chuck

I did! I still have two or three dozen (hardbacks of course) that I've started reading my my son.

I remember doing most of the things listed in the original post in a suburb of Minneapolis, there was a creek and wooded park a block from home, what a terrific place to grow up. Catching crayfish in the creek in summer, skating down the ice in the winter...good memories.

/ I Remember... #48  
Many of my outdoor memories involve my Granny's farm. She was bed-bound most of the time I remember her with a broken hip, so when I played on her farm all by myself I was really all by my self since there was no one but her nurse anywhere near. There was a pond where I could wade in the mud and catch snapping turtles. I did that some, but my older brother was champ at that. He and a friend decided they could make money selling snappers to people who ate them. I suppose someone told them they were good eating and my brother always saw the possibility of making money in the oddest places. He and his friend collected more than ten good-sized snappers from Granny's pond and put them on the screened porch while they went in search of customers. If they had told my Mom about it there probably wouldn't have been much trouble. However, she discovered the turtles by stepping out the back door onto the porch. Anyone ever heard a snapper open it's mouth? Multiple snappers was impressive according to my mom. She'll be 88 this May and tells that story at every family gathering.

Chuck