I Remember...

/ I Remember... #1  

hunterridgefarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277
After reading Eddie Walker's thread about his 8 year old and new BB gun last night I started reminiscing about my BB gun and childhood and the rural life we lived.

And I remember...

Shooting bumble bees off sunflowers with my BB gun

Picking wild blackberries for home made pies

Playing for hours on the creek bank and building dams with rocks and sticks

Saving my milk money for school all week and on Friday getting off the bus at the little country store to buy a RC and cheese crackers for a quarter and getting change back

Thinking life could not get any better than this when they made the Triple Decker Moonpie

Swinging on vines in the woods, and using the heavy kid to test them first

Getting up at 6:00am on a Saturday to watch my favorite cowboy Roy Rogers and Trigger

Playing cowboys and Indians, making our on bows and arrows, putting river bank clay on the ends of the arrows and shooting at each other

Playing army and using dirt clods as grenades, you did not want to the group in the building beside the barn, you would come out with red dirt all over you

Nailing a board in a tree in the woods and calling it a tree house

Climbing saplings and parachuting down, just hoping the tree would not break

Standing up in the back of the truck and riding to grandmaws on Sunday for dinner, best fried chicken and biscuits ever made

Going to the Burger House once a month, fine dinning in your car

Looking for hours at the stars at night, before street lights were common, seems like there were a lot more stars in the sky back then

Laying in the yard on a hot summer day looking at the different shapes the clouds would make, look that is a bear, dog, man with a beard

The smell of gun powder on a crisp fall morning while squirrel hunting

Sneaking to the two ponds thru the woods to fish and bringing back a stringer of bass and sun perch

Working the horse drawn mowing machine being pulled behind the tractor by dad and cutting hay

Learning to drive in a hay field, 1952 Chevrolet 5 window pick-up truck, too small to lift the hay bales so I got to drive, couldn't wait to be big enough to throw the hay bales, until I was, then wished I could drive the truck

Taking a wagon and making a coasting go cart with a steering wheel, man would that thing fly down the hills

When I was allowed to mow the grass on the riding lawn mower, only had forward and reverse, but I was driving

Taping up one end of the Christmas wrapping paper tube and using it like a gun to shoot bottle rockets at each other, thank god we never got caught doing that

Playing freeze tag, football, baseball, and roller bat in the front yard

Being draged thru the yard after lassoing the cow that got out, tieing it to a tree in the woods till dad got home that afternoon. Lots of memories of being draded by cows, ran over by cows, bucked off horses...

Walking into the Smoke House and smelling the hams and bacon curing

The Rural Life, we didn''t have much but the life was simple and great back then

Thanks Eddie for bringing back some memories.

/ I Remember... #2  
BTDT... I remember making money picking up pop bottles (2 cents each)... price when up to 5 cents each... boy I was rich. Selling Grit newspapers (still have my Grit bag). Selling Christmas cards door to door or in the church parking lot. Alway bought double cola and moon pies! Still have my BB gun moving target in the garage from the early 60's and my radio flyer sled, tonka trucks and constuction equipment all hanging from the rafters!

mark

/ I Remember... #3  
If you really want to shed a tear listen to the recent country song- Almost Home . It brings back some serious memories for me of the 50's and early 60's.
mjarrels- we called each other Bottle Buzzard! The real find was the quart beer bottle, it paid a nickle! My BIL grew up in a dry county in Kentucky and told about getting a dime for throw away wine bottles. ????? (refilled with moonshine)

/ I Remember... #4  
After reading Eddie Walker's thread about his 8 year old and new BB gun last night I started reminiscing about my BB gun and childhood and the rural life we lived.

And I remember...

Shooting bumble bees off sunflowers with my BB gun

Picking wild blackberries for home made pies

Playing for hours on the creek bank and building dams with rocks and sticks

Saving my milk money for school all week and on Friday getting off the bus at the little country store to buy a RC and cheese crackers for a quarter and getting change back

Thinking life could not get any better than this when they made the Triple Decker Moonpie

Swinging on vines in the woods, and using the heavy kid to test them first

Getting up at 6:00am on a Saturday to watch my favorite cowboy Roy Rogers and Trigger

Playing cowboys and Indians, making our on bows and arrows, putting river bank clay on the ends of the arrows and shooting at each other

Playing army and using dirt clods as grenades, you did not want to the group in the building beside the barn, you would come out with red dirt all over you

Nailing a board in a tree in the woods and calling it a tree house

Climbing saplings and parachuting down, just hoping the tree would not break

Standing up in the back of the truck and riding to grandmaws on Sunday for dinner, best fried chicken and biscuits ever made

Going to the Burger House once a month, fine dinning in your car

Looking for hours at the stars at night, before street lights were common, seems like there were a lot more stars in the sky back then

Laying in the yard on a hot summer day looking at the different shapes the clouds would make, look that is a bear, dog, man with a beard

The smell of gun powder on a crisp fall morning while squirrel hunting

Sneaking to the two ponds thru the woods to fish and bringing back a stringer of bass and sun perch

Working the horse drawn mowing machine being pulled behind the tractor by dad and cutting hay

Learning to drive in a hay field, 1952 Chevrolet 5 window pick-up truck, too small to lift the hay bales so I got to drive, couldn't wait to be big enough to throw the hay bales, until I was, then wished I could drive the truck

Taking a wagon and making a coasting go cart with a steering wheel, man would that thing fly down the hills

When I was allowed to mow the grass on the riding lawn mower, only had forward and reverse, but I was driving

Taping up one end of the Christmas wrapping paper tube and using it like a gun to shoot bottle rockets at each other, thank god we never got caught doing that

Playing freeze tag, football, baseball, and roller bat in the front yard

Being draged thru the yard after lassoing the cow that got out, tieing it to a tree in the woods till dad got home that afternoon. Lots of memories of being draded by cows, ran over by cows, bucked off horses...

Walking into the Smoke House and smelling the hams and bacon curing

The Rural Life, we didn''t have much but the life was simple and great back then

Thanks Eddie for bringing back some memories.

Man did you hit a homerun with this thread. I can relate to so many of your memories. I LOL'd when you mentioned roller bat. No one in WI that I've met since I've lived here knows the game. I did teach it to my kids!

/ I Remember... #5  
still have my dads daisy red rider he passed it to me when i was 5. he had a scar on his right cheek under his eye, never could grow hair after his brother shot him in the face at about 4 ft away. still have the bb he had removed too.

/ I Remember... #6  
Man did you hit a homerun with this thread. I can relate to so many of your memories. I LOL'd when you mentioned roller bat. No one in WI that I've met since I've lived here knows the game. I did teach it to my kids!

Dang, sounds like you guys grew up on the same side of the mountain as me!

/ I Remember... #7  
Dang, sounds like you guys grew up on the same side of the mountain as me!

North/Central region of North Carolina. The area was all tobacco fields when I lived there. Now its freeways and subdivisions.

/ I Remember... #8  
I'm not as old as some of you geezers, but I was at the WalMart the other day and saw their baseball card section. I remember collecting cards as a kid and we bought wax packs of cards for a quarter, and they still came with the stick of gum in them. The packs of cards now were like $5 and all had fancy holograms and graphics. There were only a few cards in each pack too. It can't be much of a past time for kids now with the cards costing so much.

/ I Remember... #9  
BTDT...
1*I remember making money picking up pop bottles (2 cents each
2* Alway bought double cola
mark
I used to do both to scrape up enough to put gas in my first car back in the late fifties when i was 17 or 18.

The thing I remember about
Double Cola It taste as good as Coke RC and Pepsi
but cost a lot less.
And winning a few cents or a buck or 2 when you peeled the casket out ot the cap and got lucky once in a while.
Most I ever got was a dollar a few times.
Usually it was a nickle dime or quarter .
A lot of the time it was nothing.
Anyone else remember this about Double Cola??

/ I Remember... #10  
still have my dads daisy red rider BB gun.
My cousin still has his too.
He still has his first 22 rifle a Remington single shot his dad got for him new back around 1952.
About a year later he got a 22 pistol yep he still has that too.
He had the BB gun quite a while before he the 22s.
Sounds like your dad might be about my cousins age.