Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48
  1. #1
    Veteran Member hunterridgefarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,016
    Location
    Western NC
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277

    Default I Remember...

    After reading Eddie Walker's thread about his 8 year old and new BB gun last night I started reminiscing about my BB gun and childhood and the rural life we lived.

    And I remember...


    Shooting bumble bees off sunflowers with my BB gun

    Picking wild blackberries for home made pies

    Playing for hours on the creek bank and building dams with rocks and sticks

    Saving my milk money for school all week and on Friday getting off the bus at the little country store to buy a RC and cheese crackers for a quarter and getting change back

    Thinking life could not get any better than this when they made the Triple Decker Moonpie

    Swinging on vines in the woods, and using the heavy kid to test them first

    Getting up at 6:00am on a Saturday to watch my favorite cowboy Roy Rogers and Trigger

    Playing cowboys and Indians, making our on bows and arrows, putting river bank clay on the ends of the arrows and shooting at each other

    Playing army and using dirt clods as grenades, you did not want to the group in the building beside the barn, you would come out with red dirt all over you

    Nailing a board in a tree in the woods and calling it a tree house

    Climbing saplings and parachuting down, just hoping the tree would not break

    Standing up in the back of the truck and riding to grandmaws on Sunday for dinner, best fried chicken and biscuits ever made

    Going to the Burger House once a month, fine dinning in your car

    Looking for hours at the stars at night, before street lights were common, seems like there were a lot more stars in the sky back then

    Laying in the yard on a hot summer day looking at the different shapes the clouds would make, look that is a bear, dog, man with a beard

    The smell of gun powder on a crisp fall morning while squirrel hunting

    Sneaking to the two ponds thru the woods to fish and bringing back a stringer of bass and sun perch

    Working the horse drawn mowing machine being pulled behind the tractor by dad and cutting hay

    Learning to drive in a hay field, 1952 Chevrolet 5 window pick-up truck, too small to lift the hay bales so I got to drive, couldn't wait to be big enough to throw the hay bales, until I was, then wished I could drive the truck

    Taking a wagon and making a coasting go cart with a steering wheel, man would that thing fly down the hills

    When I was allowed to mow the grass on the riding lawn mower, only had forward and reverse, but I was driving

    Taping up one end of the Christmas wrapping paper tube and using it like a gun to shoot bottle rockets at each other, thank god we never got caught doing that

    Playing freeze tag, football, baseball, and roller bat in the front yard

    Being draged thru the yard after lassoing the cow that got out, tieing it to a tree in the woods till dad got home that afternoon. Lots of memories of being draded by cows, ran over by cows, bucked off horses...

    Walking into the Smoke House and smelling the hams and bacon curing

    The Rural Life, we didn''t have much but the life was simple and great back then


    Thanks Eddie for bringing back some memories.

  2. #2
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,028
    Location
    Virginia
    Tractor
    1949 farmall, 1961 Fordson Dexta, 1986 Duetz Allis, 2001 Kubota.

    Default Re: I Remember...

    BTDT... I remember making money picking up pop bottles (2 cents each)... price when up to 5 cents each... boy I was rich. Selling Grit newspapers (still have my Grit bag). Selling Christmas cards door to door or in the church parking lot. Alway bought double cola and moon pies! Still have my BB gun moving target in the garage from the early 60's and my radio flyer sled, tonka trucks and constuction equipment all hanging from the rafters!

    mark
    red tractor
    blue tractor
    green tractor
    orange tractor
    too many impliments to list

  3. #3
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,396
    Location
    N. E. Florida

    Default Re: I Remember...

    If you really want to shed a tear listen to the recent country song- Almost Home . It brings back some serious memories for me of the 50's and early 60's.
    mjarrels- we called each other Bottle Buzzard! The real find was the quart beer bottle, it paid a nickle! My BIL grew up in a dry county in Kentucky and told about getting a dime for throw away wine bottles. ????? (refilled with moonshine)

  4. #4
    Gold Member WBWI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    253
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130

    Default Re: I Remember...

    Quote Originally Posted by hunterridgefarm View Post
    After reading Eddie Walker's thread about his 8 year old and new BB gun last night I started reminiscing about my BB gun and childhood and the rural life we lived.

    And I remember...


    Shooting bumble bees off sunflowers with my BB gun

    Picking wild blackberries for home made pies

    Playing for hours on the creek bank and building dams with rocks and sticks

    Saving my milk money for school all week and on Friday getting off the bus at the little country store to buy a RC and cheese crackers for a quarter and getting change back

    Thinking life could not get any better than this when they made the Triple Decker Moonpie

    Swinging on vines in the woods, and using the heavy kid to test them first

    Getting up at 6:00am on a Saturday to watch my favorite cowboy Roy Rogers and Trigger

    Playing cowboys and Indians, making our on bows and arrows, putting river bank clay on the ends of the arrows and shooting at each other

    Playing army and using dirt clods as grenades, you did not want to the group in the building beside the barn, you would come out with red dirt all over you

    Nailing a board in a tree in the woods and calling it a tree house

    Climbing saplings and parachuting down, just hoping the tree would not break

    Standing up in the back of the truck and riding to grandmaws on Sunday for dinner, best fried chicken and biscuits ever made

    Going to the Burger House once a month, fine dinning in your car

    Looking for hours at the stars at night, before street lights were common, seems like there were a lot more stars in the sky back then

    Laying in the yard on a hot summer day looking at the different shapes the clouds would make, look that is a bear, dog, man with a beard

    The smell of gun powder on a crisp fall morning while squirrel hunting

    Sneaking to the two ponds thru the woods to fish and bringing back a stringer of bass and sun perch

    Working the horse drawn mowing machine being pulled behind the tractor by dad and cutting hay

    Learning to drive in a hay field, 1952 Chevrolet 5 window pick-up truck, too small to lift the hay bales so I got to drive, couldn't wait to be big enough to throw the hay bales, until I was, then wished I could drive the truck

    Taking a wagon and making a coasting go cart with a steering wheel, man would that thing fly down the hills

    When I was allowed to mow the grass on the riding lawn mower, only had forward and reverse, but I was driving

    Taping up one end of the Christmas wrapping paper tube and using it like a gun to shoot bottle rockets at each other, thank god we never got caught doing that

    Playing freeze tag, football, baseball, and roller bat in the front yard

    Being draged thru the yard after lassoing the cow that got out, tieing it to a tree in the woods till dad got home that afternoon. Lots of memories of being draded by cows, ran over by cows, bucked off horses...

    Walking into the Smoke House and smelling the hams and bacon curing

    The Rural Life, we didn''t have much but the life was simple and great back then


    Thanks Eddie for bringing back some memories.
    Man did you hit a homerun with this thread. I can relate to so many of your memories. I LOL'd when you mentioned roller bat. No one in WI that I've met since I've lived here knows the game. I did teach it to my kids!
    Tractor: Kubota L3130 HST w/LA513 loader, JRW Snowblower, Big Bee Agri-four rotary mower and Land pride 72" finish mower
    Terrain- 5.25 acres, hilly, partially wooded, 700' concrete driveway.

  5. #5
    Gold Member WantedWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    332
    Location
    South Alberta
    Tractor
    ditch witch 6510

    Default Re: I Remember...

    still have my dads daisy red rider he passed it to me when i was 5. he had a scar on his right cheek under his eye, never could grow hair after his brother shot him in the face at about 4 ft away. still have the bb he had removed too.

  6. #6
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,352
    Location
    Wayne County Pa.
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson model 85, Allis-Chalmers WD-45

    Default Re: I Remember...

    Quote Originally Posted by WBWI View Post
    Man did you hit a homerun with this thread. I can relate to so many of your memories. I LOL'd when you mentioned roller bat. No one in WI that I've met since I've lived here knows the game. I did teach it to my kids!
    Dang, sounds like you guys grew up on the same side of the mountain as me!
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply.
    Willing is not enough, you must do.
    Bruce Lee

  7. #7
    Gold Member WBWI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    253
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130

    Default Re: I Remember...

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne County Hose View Post
    Dang, sounds like you guys grew up on the same side of the mountain as me!
    North/Central region of North Carolina. The area was all tobacco fields when I lived there. Now its freeways and subdivisions.
    Tractor: Kubota L3130 HST w/LA513 loader, JRW Snowblower, Big Bee Agri-four rotary mower and Land pride 72" finish mower
    Terrain- 5.25 acres, hilly, partially wooded, 700' concrete driveway.

  8. #8
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    926
    Location
    Southern Indiana

    Default Re: I Remember...

    I'm not as old as some of you geezers, but I was at the WalMart the other day and saw their baseball card section. I remember collecting cards as a kid and we bought wax packs of cards for a quarter, and they still came with the stick of gum in them. The packs of cards now were like $5 and all had fancy holograms and graphics. There were only a few cards in each pack too. It can't be much of a past time for kids now with the cards costing so much.
    --------------------------------
    shawn

  9. #9
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    16,854
    Location
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

    Default Re: I Remember...

    Quote Originally Posted by mjarrels View Post
    BTDT...
    1*I remember making money picking up pop bottles (2 cents each
    2* Alway bought double cola
    mark
    I used to do both to scrape up enough to put gas in my first car back in the late fifties when i was 17 or 18.

    The thing I remember about
    Double Cola It taste as good as Coke RC and Pepsi
    but cost a lot less.
    And winning a few cents or a buck or 2 when you peeled the casket out ot the cap and got lucky once in a while.
    Most I ever got was a dollar a few times.
    Usually it was a nickle dime or quarter .
    A lot of the time it was nothing.
    Anyone else remember this about Double Cola??
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

  10. #10
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    16,854
    Location
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

    Default Re: I Remember...

    Quote Originally Posted by WantedWolf View Post
    still have my dads daisy red rider BB gun.
    My cousin still has his too.
    He still has his first 22 rifle a Remington single shot his dad got for him new back around 1952.
    About a year later he got a 22 pistol yep he still has that too.
    He had the BB gun quite a while before he the 22s.
    Sounds like your dad might be about my cousins age.
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.