Fence bracket/horse fence

/ Fence bracket/horse fence #1  

rgood

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2210D
I'm setting up some horse stalls under a lean-to. I'd like to be able to use boards installed with metal brackets that would allow the boards to be easily removed in case I want to double a stalls size or change out a board or take the boards out to get the tractor in to clean - etc.

I'm looking for a bracket idea that would utilize some sort of a pin so a horse could not pop the board up and out.

I googled "Fence bracket" with no success.

Anyone have a picture or idea that has worked for them?

/ Fence bracket/horse fence #2  
rgood,

We made a 'c' channel with 2x6 - vertical. The two channels are opposite each other and we slip in 2x6 boards to create a wall. You could drill a horizontal hole , 1/2" above and below (use a 1/2 bolt or pin) each board - spaced if you want - to prevent the horse from picking up the boards.

We built a sand pit area for one of our horses - allowing access to the lean-to and exterior stall doors. I use a bracket to hold the boards in place but the horse just picked them out with their teeth/ I ended up nailing them in place...

Hope this helps. Amazing what they can figure out with time on their (hands) hooves!

Lloyd

/ Fence bracket/horse fence
Thanks ! I might give that a try - I think I'm going to try to make the channel out of wood.

/ Fence bracket/horse fence #4  
I've been thinking about this for a few days and have no real "cheep" way, but one thing I thought of is to use lag eye bolts, Lowes carries them. You could screw the lag eye bolts into the support timber and drill a hole in the cross boards big enough to allow them to slip over the eye and then insert some type of a pin, ie. hitch pin or bolt with nut. The problem is we need to stay away from any type of wire or anything that can cause harm to the animals. I think with the rounded eye bolt and a small nut and bolt you could do this. Let us know how things turn out. Also if you do this you'll have to make sure all the eyes and holes are the same so the boards are interchangable.
Good luck.

/ Fence bracket/horse fence #5  
I found this stuff and its called horse channel down here. I got it at the place were I buy all my metal.

Attachments

• 100_0022.jpg
    100_0022.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 374
  • 100_0023.jpg
    100_0023.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 254
   / Fence bracket/horse fence #6  
I have stall separators made from tongue and groove 2 x 6" boards (make then yourself with a table saw. When you jam the assembly together as a stack, the horses can't get them apart. I ran a vertical double header in the center wall to fit the boards in between. I can probably get a picture later if you are intereste. I used this for turning 2 stalls into a foaling stall...

/ Fence bracket/horse fence
Thanks For all of the ideas Guys ! I'll let you know what I end up with.

/ Fence bracket/horse fence #8  
Ram Fence sells galvanized channel with predrilled holes. Pricey compared to wood! Any channel would have to be removed for safety purposes. I like zzvyb6's idea of using wood. Just round over the outside corners and the "pocket" corners just a tad as sharp corners cut.

I did this to secure a couple of stall doors that butt against a wall in order to secure them from being pushed out.

/ Fence bracket/horse fence #9  
I have stall separators made from tongue and groove 2 x 6" boards (make then yourself with a table saw. When you jam the assembly together as a stack, the horses can't get them apart. I ran a vertical double header in the center wall to fit the boards in between. I can probably get a picture later if you are intereste. I used this for turning 2 stalls into a foaling stall...

Please do post pics. All these ideas blow mine out of the water. WHAT WAS I THINKING:D

This is exactly why I love to visit this site. Knowledge and insight and lots of great ideas.

/ Fence bracket/horse fence #10  
I used rough cut hemlock 4x6 and 6x6 posts with more rough cut 2x10 screwed horizontally with these 1/4" x 5" Trusslok Engineered Wood Fastener
Although semi permanent, you can just pull them to gain access to the stalls or to reconfigure the walls.

Between the 6x6 posts I ripped some 2x2 stock and screwed these to the posts on either side of the 2x10 running along the center. It makes your "C" type holder, but mine go up 6+ feet between the stalls.