Help with Smoked Venison Sausage...

/ Help with Smoked Venison Sausage... #1  

teg

Tractor
s
My buddy who makes great sausage, gave me the recipe but left out one important step... after mixing the ingredients, I should have refrigerated it overnight. :eek: So I mixed it up and was excited to get it on the smoker. It's been smoking for 5 hours and has 1 to 3 hours left to do.

Since I did not refrigerated over night, what happens to the curing salt (Carlson salt)... would it just not last as long? does curing salt break down over night and what I have will be salty... I'll be eating one when I take them off tonight but would like to know if I can "save" (freeze) the rest?

On edit... left the smoker alone to type this up and the wood that should have smoked for the last couple of hours burst into flames and raised the temp. up to 400* - not sure for how long... but I don't think it was too long since they don't look burnt.

on second edit... cut one open and it was still pretty soft in the middle, tasted fine but then again I eat raw fish :eek: I'll be leave them on for a couple more hours and see how they do.

Last edited:
   / Help with Smoked Venison Sausage... #2  
I wouldn't worry too much about it... Some of the commercial cure makers want you to mix then let it sit overnight, others say to mix then stuff the casings. The cure is all the same... sodium nitrate/sodium nitrite, spices, flavorings, and salt.

I think it's best to let it sit overnight, in my mind it lets the spices and seasonings permeate the meat... if you mix and stuff right away, just not as much time for things to "soak in".

As far as your sausage, as long as you get up to about 160-165 internally (some old-timers say only 145 is necessary), you should be good to go... I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

/ Help with Smoked Venison Sausage...
Thanks Brian... Since I'll be letting several people try this, wife is cooking a meal for 16 girls and the theme is "local grown / killed" food!!! Several are vegetarian anyway and will not eat it... hate to send the rest home with food poisoning!!! :rolleyes:

/ Help with Smoked Venison Sausage... #4  
With old world arrogancy I keep telling my wife:

There was a life before refrigeration!

I am sure your sausages are gonna just fine, but if you have any doubts you can donate them to me:D:D

/ Help with Smoked Venison Sausage... #5  
Dang, when I saw the title of this thread I thought maybe you needed some help in disposing of that sausage, so I was going to give my address to send it to me for proper disposal.

/ Help with Smoked Venison Sausage...
"disposing of that sausage" is not a problem ;) I may have to avoid the thread, "let's lose a tractor" for a little longer... still think, 'lets gain a tractor' would be easier to accomplish. :eek:

Sausage are still looking good... another 40 minutes.