Might plant white clover.

/ Might plant white clover. #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I'm thinking about planting white clover in the majority of my few and small food plot areas. I might even overseed some of my grassy 'lawn-fields' around the cabin.

I'm thinking about a mix of Patriot (good early yield) and Durana (last for years).

I do not know when to plant them. Seems like you can plant them in late winter, early spring and fall. I'd like to do it soon. Maybe late February or early March. This way I may get some 'frost' effect.

I do not have the proper equipment for this. I have access to a nice no-till drill but 1) it is really too big to maneuver in my little plots (1/4 acre or less and oddly shaped) and 2) I don't think it will handle clover seeds. I do not have a cultipaker. I do not have a spreader. I don't think a typical PTO spreader would work on such a small scale anyway.

So here is my plan.

1) In the next week or so, turn everything over with my two bottom plow.

2) Disk and fertilize. Probably 0-20-20. Too late to lime and I think the pH is okay anyway. Soil test last spring showed it pretty close to 7 which should be fine for clover.

3) Plant using a hand spreader. I know, tedious. But the largest plot is about 1/2 acre and a push spreader really can't handle the rough ground. I also think (guessing) that I might get more control with a hand spreader.

4) Run homemade harrow over it (6' 6x6 with chain link fence rolled around it).

Any thoughts? Any drawback to late winter or early spring planting? Anything I've mentioned going to cause a disaster?

/ Might plant white clover. #2  
Sounds like a plan. You might look into renting a commercial push spreader they have large pneumatic tires about 12" and handle rough ground very well.

/ Might plant white clover. #3  
I've done slightly larger areas just hand spreading and then harrowing with a home built excuse for a harrow. It seemed to work for me.:D

/ Might plant white clover. #4  
if you have any bee's in the area they will thank you for planting the clover.

/ Might plant white clover. #5  
White clover is a wetland plant and red clover is not. I would never plant white clover on purpose.

/ Might plant white clover.
White clover is a wetland plant and red clover is not. I would never plant white clover on purpose.

I'm no expert but what I understand about white clovers like Durana and Patriot is that 1) It is a perennial not an annual and that the Durana may last 5-7 years. 2) It is attractive and beneficial for deer and turkey. 3) Weed control can be managed by mowing the clover a few times each summer. 4) It is highly graze resistant. 5) Do not require nitrogen which also helps keep down weeds, etc. 6) Was designed specifically for the region I am in. 7) Does not like dry sandy soil. 8) Handles low pH well.

My soil is clay and rocks. It is not good for anything but pottery and getting stuck in. When it is wet, it holds onto water. When it is dry it is like concrete. So it won't be ideal for clover, but the two primary places I want to put it are fairly low and wet.

So based on what I've been told, these white clover hybrids will be as good for my purposes as anything else I can think off.

I'm going to give it a try, so we shall see!

/ Might plant white clover. #8  
I had that stuff growing in my yard (5 ac) in Carlisle Pa and absoultely nothing would kill it. Rabbits, deer and bees loved it. It some how got mixed in with the grass seed when they planted the grass. The neighbors hated me. One of those houghty toughty areas with golf course like yards except for mine.

/ Might plant white clover. #9  
I had that stuff growing in my yard (5 ac) in Carlisle Pa and absoultely nothing would kill it.

It is interesting to note that white clover used to be intentionally mixed in with grass seed for home lawns in the 40s and 50s. It stays green all season, doesn't require significant irrigation, fixes its own nitrogen so it doesn't need fertilizer, and doesn't grow much more than a couple inches high. Sounds like the perfect lawn ground cover. It was considered as such until the "perfect green lawn industrial complex" declared it a problem in the 1960's. (Black Helicopter conspiratorial tone intentional and added for attempted humorous content.)

/ Might plant white clover. #10  
I'm going to give it a try, so we shall see!

plant for plant its THE best plant/flower for bees. I think youll be really happy with it.