My Retirement Plan

/ My Retirement Plan #1  

ctpres

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota 3400HST
First off, am I in the right forum for this? I plan to talk about my retirement plans, not so much money plans, but various things I am doing or planning on doing as related to retirement. I picked country living because I probably couldn't do most of it in the CITY. As with tractors we learn from each others efforts. If I make a mistake maybe I can help someone else avoid the same fate. And if I get it right-who knows who might be listening. If the idea dosn't find to many objections, I see this as being a couple year thread, barring an insurance collection. So for starters.
Being a two vehicle family, SUV and PU dosn't seem like a good idea if nobody is working, at a real job. What kind do I need? After a lot of thinking I finally decided on a six passenger pickup with Big V-8 and lots of towing capacity. D... the cost of gas. No more 60 and 100 mile work commutes. Just travel for staples, medical needs, mostly long touring trips and occasional fun. Need truck, need passenger capacity and towing ability. Might rent travel trailer or camper, who knows. Now we are good for up to six tons. Soon will be rid of the older PU and down to one. Auto financing rates higher than interest earned so I'm planning on paying off the new one and dropping all but liabilty insurance by the third year. Looking at my bills-insurance is a big chunk. Also thinking about paying off house for the same reason as above. Then I can look at very high deductable home insurance. Life insurance coverage will stop when current term policy expires. We are NOT wealthy. The things I am talking about may scare others of modest means. Life without insurance-probably not a good idea, although I have given that a lot of thought, but I sure hope to be able to cut that bill down a bunch. Up and coming if interested: my ideas on communications planning, food sources, travel and entertainment.

/ My Retirement Plan #2  
No retirement plan here. Just what I can make the land worth and get for it when I sell it. Money that I have in the market is becoming less and less, and after seeing how quickly it can go away, I'm not so sure how much more I want to depend on it. Social Security keeps raising the age and requirements for those who put into it, plus most of the people who receive it never put anything into it anyway.

I figure that I'll put all my extra money into my land and do what I can to develop it into an RV Park. It's an all my eggs in one basket gamble that has the potential to do well, or rail miserably. Either way, I'm commited to it and in too deep to back out now.

Eddie

/ My Retirement Plan #3  
Eddie... you've got that right. Call me a peasant at heart, but there is something to owning land and equipment to work it as opposed to a binder with stock certificates and mutual funds that you need to consult a financial report to see what's it worth... if anything.

Maybe, it was lessons learned from my Dairy Farmer Grandparents... they never had much as in money in the bank... but they did have a full and healthy life living and working the land into their 90's.. Grand Dad said, "Take Care of the Land and it will take care of you"

Unfortunately, Grandparents Farm was worth a couple of million dollars when my Grandparents passed and my cousin quit farming immediately and sells off a piece to city folks when he runs low on cash...

I've been paying into Social Security since I was 12 years old... had to get a special work permit from the School District to get a job and I've been working ever since...

Eddie... just think of the life you've made for yourself and Steph and the satisfaction that comes from knowing what you've accomplished... your an inspiration...

/ My Retirement Plan #4  
Probably within no more than 50 years from now, everybody reading this will be perminatly retired,give or take a few years[take for most of us].
Thats my plan.

/ My Retirement Plan #5  
Be prepared for surprises along the way.

I retired 19 months ago or so, when I came to the realization that I was selling my time to the company for less than it was worth to me. I actually collect SS. (The lady was not amused -- she asked me when I retired and I told her I had declared myself independent and quit going to work instead of retiring.)

The plan was to move to the country get some land and a tractor. I am not a farmer by any means, but the long-range goal was to build a nice house, and then spend some time with the tractor improving the land and possibly splitting off one five acre parcel from the 40 we have.

Well, we bought the land, bought the tractor, built the house and put our old house up for sale about 3 weeks after real estate crashed. No nibbles for 6 months. Then the house burned up.

So, I now have a full time job which consists of dealing with the insurance company.

The original plan of paying off the construction loan on the new house with the proceeds from selling the old house is pretty much "up in smoke" so we have two mortgages instead of no mortgage.

At least DW hadn't retired yet, so she is going to keep working until we can rebuild the house and sell it. I am going to be working on the house for about the next year.

But, I am still enjoying life. DW and I have turned to each other instead of against each other and work very much as a team.

Life is good, but a lot different than the original plan.

Oh yes, the tractor is 450 miles away, but I get to visit it every once in a while.

/ My Retirement Plan #6  
The company I worked at had a buy out two years ago to get rid of the higher paid senior employees and replace with new union negotiated lower paid people. I already had 33 years service and was 56 years old. So I qualified for for a pension of $2222.00. Plus $395.00 a month from investing a 401k program from work. The buyout was about $30,000. lump sum payment. The kicker for me taking this offer was that my wife and I inherited four grandchildren when one of my daughters had her children taken from her and she was charged with child abuse and neglect. We didn't have time to work after that. We have full custody and receive about $630.00 a month ss for three of the children. That's 1900 a month. My wife gets a retirement of around $700. She retired at the same time. We'll qualify for our ss in two and three years from now.
In my opinion we really have it made now. We had to buy two new vehicles(mini-vans). One new 29,000 and one used 12,000. We are able to take trips around the southeast every time the children are out for fall,spring and summer brakes. We have a reason to get up and get going every morning and are tired enough at night to sleep for a few hours. I can play on my tractor and roam the wood etc. any time they're in school.

/ My Retirement Plan #7  
Nice to Know My tax dollars are put to good use.

/ My Retirement Plan #8  
One thing for certain with this retirement thing, my wife and I both agree we don't have enough hours to fit in a conventional job.:D

We are living our semi-planned retirement. Bought 21 acres, tractor, and 3 years into building the house. Definitely have a decreasing small pot of money - we tell our son, he doesn't have to worry about having an inheritance to spend. We took out another chuck of it end of last summer to make solid investment - concrete. What we do have that is good is a number of small monthly incomes that pooled allow a comfortable, but not extravagant lifestyle. After they pay the mortgage (our financial advisor recommends mortgage over being paid-off) and fixed expenses, we can eat well and play a little. This week I get my first SS check. DW gets SS disability.
Two years ago we opted to get the 6 pax, full bed pu, which is our primary transportation. Many a day, we talk ourselves out of making a trip to town, unless it is a scheduled appointment. We did keep our Toyota Sequoia because it sits eight very comfortably so it's handy when we have visitors or our friends decide we make a group outing. Also nice when we decide not to take the dogs, as they "own" the pu.

The house is mostly done. Finishing up the pool, then some trim work and finish the cabinetry, then the landscaping. Landscaping is fancy for getting the garden in and taking care of the fruit trees, putting in fence, etc, etc. Throw in a few chickens and I see a reduction in our food bill.

Our social scene is very much a similar crowd - for the most part retired and most built or are building their own house. The challenge there is we like to get together, although evenings rarely last past 8PM.

There is always the specter of the unknown. I gently tease my wife, that had she not taken the summer off for chmo and radiation, we probably would have the house finished.

I did not envision this type of retirement back when working, but 10 years ago and a really bad accident leading to loss of income and you start looking at life a bit differently.

I think at this point the only "improvement" we might wish for is seeing our son and grandbaby more often, but then, they have to live their own lives too.

David

/ My Retirement Plan #9  
The original plan of paying off the construction loan on the new house with the proceeds from selling the old house is pretty much "up in smoke" so we have two mortgages instead of no mortgage.

At least DW hadn't retired yet, so she is going to keep working
* until we can rebuild the house and sell it. I am going to be working on the house for about the next year.

*Why take the money out of the house so you can rebuild the house so you can get the money out of the house when you all ready have the money out of the house.

/ My Retirement Plan #10  
*Why take the money out of the house so you can rebuild the house so you can get the money out of the house when you all ready have the money out of the house.

WHY DON'T YOU GET A LIFE! all you do is criticize everyone and anything they say