Gravest Threat to the World, The Pig Farm

/ Gravest Threat to the World, The Pig Farm #1  

IH3444

Veteran Member
Washington Times - RFK Jr.: Hog farms bigger threat than *****

/ Gravest Threat to the World, The Pig Farm #2  
Beyond ridiculous...................................

/ Gravest Threat to the World, The Pig Farm #3  
Hiya,

"Mr. Kennedy was convicted for for possession of heroin in 1984 and sentenced to 800 hours of community service. He fulfilled that sentence by doing volunteer work for an envoronmental foundation and later became a vociferous critic of the meat industry and large meat producers.

Mr. Kennedy has said that he plans to go after all large farms in the country, not just pork producers."

Kinda says it all. To some people bacon and pork chops are born in vacuum sealed packages with bar codes on the label. I've been down to the cape and around the Kennedy compound, there are no hog farms there, no farms either, just mansions.

My 2 cents,

Tom
BTW, the proof read of the article was a bit lacking, must have been done by a student of The Kenedy school of newspaper writtin'. (No pun intended with the proof reference) :eek:

/ Gravest Threat to the World, The Pig Farm #4  
"OH NO" THERE COMING AFTER ME:eek:

/ Gravest Threat to the World, The Pig Farm #5  
Sounds like he is looking for a quick buck.

On the other hand I don't like these pig factories as they exist in NC. They are not a small farm with a few pigs. They are large businesses with thousands of pigs. Each pigs is supposed to pee and poo as much as four people. Where does the pee and poo go? Into a "lagoon." It ain't blue either. To remove the pee and poo they spray it on their fields. The "farms" have been caught spraying with saturated soil conditions which means the pee/poo mix is just running off into streams and rivers.

Can you imagine a town built on a hundred acres or so with 4,000 people. AND not sewage treatment other than a "lagoon" and spraying pee and poo? Do you want that as a neighbor? Some of these "farms" have 10,000 hogs which is same amount of pee and poo from 40,000 people.

The smell from these things is horrendous. One of the "farms" was build near my FIL. If they are spraying the pee/poo and the wind blows towards his house you don't go outside. And they like to sit outside. But they can't sit outside if the farm is spraying even thought the "farm" is a few miles away.

What happens to your property value when a factory pig farm moves into the 'hood?

Later,
Dan

/ Gravest Threat to the World, The Pig Farm #6  

On the other hand I don't like these pig factories as they exist in NC. They are not a small farm with a few pigs. They are large businesses with thousands of pigs. Each pigs is supposed to pee and poo as much as four people. Where does the pee and poo go? Into a "lagoon." It ain't blue either. To remove the pee and poo they spray it on their fields. The "farms" have been caught spraying with saturated soil conditions which means the pee/poo mix is just running off into streams and rivers.

Can you imagine a town built on a hundred acres or so with 4,000 people. AND not sewage treatment other than a "lagoon" and spraying pee and poo? Do you want that as a neighbor? Some of these "farms" have 10,000 hogs which is same amount of pee and poo from 40,000 people.

The smell from these things is horrendous. One of the "farms" was build near my FIL. If they are spraying the pee/poo and the wind blows towards his house you don't go outside. And they like to sit outside. But they can't sit outside if the farm is spraying even thought the "farm" is a few miles away.

What happens to your property value when a factory pig farm moves into the 'hood?

Later,
Dan

Nice reply, but I thought logical thoughtful replies weren't welcomed on this board?;)

/ Gravest Threat to the World, The Pig Farm #7  
Dan
I doesnt have to be this way...just that the farm doesnt/cant spend the $$$ to make it so. I think its true that if farms upgraded their equipment to accommodate everyone thats complaining and meet all the wish list rules the price of food would be very expensive...far far more than it is now.

That said as you pointed out these farms are businesses and as such dont really look at it as farming in the way a single owner (aka family farm) would. Its all about the bottom line, lawyers, making sure the partners get as much profit as possible etc etc. I think in the long run letting family farms go to agrobusinesses is a mistake.

The guy in the article is his own worst enemy. I certainly wouldnt consider his message as serious...its more of the eco sideshow that seems to be taking the country by storm.

/ Gravest Threat to the World, The Pig Farm #8  

Later,
Dan

I can remember back in late '40s we had 36 A and a pig farm was set up about a mile away. We did not get a lot of bad odor but we did have a lot of shade. Buzzards circling over head waiting to "BRING HOME THE BACON"

But, I don't think spraying pee and poo is any where close to the problems that come from DC BS!:mad:

/ Gravest Threat to the World, The Pig Farm #9  
I live about 3/4 of a mile from Union County, Indiana border. About as rural as one can get. Hog and cow farms everywhere. Nothing like a whiff of fresh pig poop while munching on your hamburger. No matter how well you prepare it the smell of fresh pig poop kind of takes the gourmet edge off your burger. We do love it here. Pig poop and all. Someone is trying to buy land for a "Mega Dairy" in Union County, Indiana. 34,000 gallons of cow poop a day, so they say. The local farmers there are fighting this tooth and nail. The farmers and the counties are trying to keep it rural here. In Preble County, Ohio where I live the zoning restricts building a house on less than 40 acres. Just to keep it rural. We only have twenty acres but the place we bought was grandfathered in before the 40 acre rule. So "Mega" anything out here is going to be fought. Farmer and locals against the Mega Farm.

/ Gravest Threat to the World, The Pig Farm #10  
Silly thing to say pig farms are the root of all evil. Even so, I am not a fan of mega livestock farms for any type of animals.

I know there is no way for city people to raise or even buy the volume of food they need from "locals" but it just seems wrong for so many reasons for fish, cows, pigs, chickens, whatever to be raised by the zillions on factory type farms.