Greetings from h_ll, with pictures

/ Greetings from h_ll, with pictures #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
We live in Western Kentucky and finally got power on Saturday after twelve days without. Some of my relatives are being told that they will be reconnected, hopefully, in a couple of weeks.

We have made it without too much trouble but this area will take years to recover. All the trees are damaged. ALL THE TREES.

I don't know if anyone else has posted about this ice storm but I am going to try and put pictures up as soon as possible. It has been quite the adventure/ordeal but as usual the sturdy people in this area have pulled thru without much trouble.

I have been out and about thru all the problems and only had minor trouble with people a few times and all were while driving. On the other hand some unspoken rules evolved last week. For example, if you are driving down a road and come upon a power line hanging only three or four feet off the pavement you stop and wait. When the next car comes along from either direction you get out of your vehicle, grab the line and hold it up so they can pass under. Then they stop and hold the line up for you to pass. We have pictures of this. Some of you are going to say that is crazy, never touch a downed power line but when all the poles are down for miles and the transformers are on the ground covered with a couple of inches of ice it is perfectly safe. Though I only did this after finding that the main TVA feeds for the entire Jackson Purchase area were down. Even yesterday a few hours before power was returned to our neighborhood my car antenna would drag across wires a few hundred yards from our house.

I am catching up on some other things and will start posting pictures later today when I am resting from running the chainsaw.

RSKY

/ Greetings from h_ll, with pictures #2  
Did you attach pics? On another forum a poor dairy guy in KY is really having a rough go of it. Sounds like the ice storm we had in the east about 10 years ago. You can still see it in the trees when you go there.

Good luck!

/ Greetings from h_ll, with pictures #3  
I had to go down Tolu, KY and Rosieclare IL for a funeral this week. It does look like a war zone down there. All the relatives coming in where comparing notes on when they hoped to get power back up.

They are having to drive 1 hour each way just to get kerosene.

It looks like those scenes in "Band of Brothers" where they are getting shelled in the Argonne forest, I don't think a single tree made it thru unscathed.

/ Greetings from h_ll, with pictures #4  
We live in Western Kentucky and finally got power on Saturday after twelve days without. Some of my relatives are being told that they will be reconnected, hopefully, in a couple of weeks.

We have made it without too much trouble but this area will take years to recover. All the trees are damaged. ALL THE TREES.

I don't know if anyone else has posted about this ice storm but I am going to try and put pictures up as soon as possible. It has been quite the adventure/ordeal but as usual the sturdy people in this area have pulled thru without much trouble.

I have been out and about thru all the problems and only had minor trouble with people a few times and all were while driving. On the other hand some unspoken rules evolved last week. For example, if you are driving down a road and come upon a power line hanging only three or four feet off the pavement you stop and wait. When the next car comes along from either direction you get out of your vehicle, grab the line and hold it up so they can pass under. Then they stop and hold the line up for you to pass. We have pictures of this. Some of you are going to say that is crazy, never touch a downed power line but when all the poles are down for miles and the transformers are on the ground covered with a couple of inches of ice it is perfectly safe. Though I only did this after finding that the main TVA feeds for the entire Jackson Purchase area were down. Even yesterday a few hours before power was returned to our neighborhood my car antenna would drag across wires a few hundred yards from our house.

I am catching up on some other things and will start posting pictures later today when I am resting from running the chainsaw.

RSKY

Glad you got your power on!

We had 1 1/2 in. of ice then snow on top of that here in E. Kentucky.
We was lucky not to lose power but many around us did, if i go into the next county just 22 miles it is a mess, i have seen on my local news how bad it is down your way.

Just be safe on your clean up.

/ Greetings from h_ll, with pictures #5  
Glad to hear that you have power now. Folks in our area know what it is like to go a long time without power.

About a year ago there were some posts on where the safest place was to live in America, away from natural disasters like hurricanes, tornadoes, wildfires, earthquakes, floods, etc., and the consensus was that Kentucky was the safest place.

Just goes to show ya, we all got our Achilles heel. :(

/ Greetings from h_ll, with pictures #6  
Glad to hear you are recovering, however slowly. Boy, electricity scares me. I finally trimmed some branches of a tree that were poking through the wires to my house, and I was worried the whole time that somehow the juice would jump down the pole saw I was using and bite me. That was right before that storm passed to the south of us here in the middle of Missouri. Anyway, I think I'd at least find me a nice long forked stick to lift any wires in my path.

Chuck

/ Greetings from h_ll, with pictures #7  
Glad to hear you are recovering, however slowly. Boy, electricity scares me. I finally trimmed some branches of a tree that were poking through the wires to my house, and I was worried the whole time that somehow the juice would jump down the pole saw I was using and bite me. That was right before that storm passed to the south of us here in the middle of Missouri. Anyway, I think I'd at least find me a nice long forked stick to lift any wires in my path.

Chuck
It could have happened.

/ Greetings from h_ll, with pictures #8  
I think I'd at least find me a nice long forked stick to lift any wires in my path.

And only a very dry stick. Electricity has been known to travel via the sap in tree limbs.

/ Greetings from h_ll, with pictures #9  

RSKY
All I can say is WOW!!I have been a electric lineman for quite a few years and can say these folks and you have cheated death.NEVER and I repeat NEVER touch a downed powerline.Do you or any of these folks have enough experience to tell which way the electric feed is coming from?I think not,PLEASE DO NOT touch any downed powerlines if you want to see your loved ones again.coobie.

/ Greetings from h_ll, with pictures #10  
All I can say is WOW!!I have been a electric lineman for quite a few years and can say these folks and you have cheated death.NEVER and I repeat NEVER touch a downed powerline.Do you or any of these folks have enough experience to tell which way the electric feed is coming from?I think not,PLEASE DO NOT touch any downed powerlines if you want to see your loved ones again.coobie.

Yes, even if the power line is broken at both ends of your block, there could be someone on the block with a generator backfeeding through the powerline making it hot. :eek: