Building a gun range, suggestions?

/ Building a gun range, suggestions? #1  

Tororider

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4310
I am thinking about creating an inexpensive, safe, gun range. We used to have a huge pile of dirt at the end of the driveway that I could shoot into, it had the added benefit of being in a direction that there wasn't anyone or anything behind it. We have since leveled that dirt to give us more usable space around the barn. Is my best bet to pile up some dirt in another out of the way location or can I build a portable range with my welder? All advice would be greatly appreciated.

The impetus for this is that I will probably be using some of my tax refund, hopefully received within the next two weeks, to buy a glock 23.

/ Building a gun range, suggestions? #2  
Will this be for you and your family or will you be allowing the general public to come in and shoot? I'm assuming (after re-reading your post) that it's for you and your imm. family.

Safe direction, large berm of dirt...sounds like you've got it figured out. Personally, I like shooting metal targets. Put them in front of the berm. When you hit the metal (Brinell or Rockwell armor plate), the bullets splatter like water on concrete. No ricochet, but it has to be armor plate.

I use metal because paint is cheaper than paper targets and you get a nice effect when shooting. I do use paper targets stapled to politician signs in front of the berm when shooting for accuracy using one of my tack-drivers. Other than that, I shoot the steel.

Podunk

Disclaimer: Politician sign usage AFTER the election ;)

/ Building a gun range, suggestions? #3  
Just as a what if, is it near your well. If you going to be slinging lead i would move the dirt pile below your drinking water source.

/ Building a gun range, suggestions? #4  
Just try and use earth that is pretty much free of large rocks that can cause ricochets. Make the bermed earth higher and wider that you suppose is needed. If you can locate it so that a forest or additional safety backstop is beyond the berm so much the better.

If you have one, a pond dam is sometimes a good place to make a range. It worked out that I have a clay bank at the south end of my pond dam where earth was excavated for part of the dam. At a measured hundred yards from this bank at the other end of the dam I placed a shooting bench.

I also have a box blind for deer on the dam that overlooks a field below. I shoot right behind the blind, so had to ease it out as far as I coult to have sufficient clearance to shoot LOL. You can see the clay bank and wooden target holder in the far background. I've sighted my rifles in at this spot one day and taken a deer from the box blind the next LOL.

Once you get your range fixed up you will use it year after year.

DAMBLIND.jpg

/ Building a gun range, suggestions? #5  
I built one in my back yard. I think I ended up using around 600 - 700 cubic yards of dirt or so. It's about 15' high and 70' wide. I used some dirt from when I was digging my lake. It also serves as my "rob" pile. Whenever I need some dirt I back up one end of it with my tiller and loosen up a bit for spreading with my FEL. Over the years I've taken about 20' off one end. That makes it a lot better than having to buy dirt to have hauled in. Now it almost looks small.

I used 2 triaxle trucks, an excavator and a little D6 dozer to build mine. It still took a couple of days to move all the dirt and compact each layer. It was almost 18' high when built but I still lost about 3' to settling. Good luck.

/ Building a gun range, suggestions? #6  
First suggestion: do not call it a "gun range" ever again. It is just for you and your family-- it is a dirt pile.

If your insurance company hears that you have a gun range, they will drop you so fast your head will spin, and no other company will take you on.

Many years ago I bought a bullet trap for a work project from an outfit called Detroit Armor. It was about $1000 for a 12" x 12" trap. You would still need a backstop for safety.

At the time, I wrote the the NRA to get suggestions about vendors. Ask them for designs, they will help members for free. You are a member, aren't you? I would take their advice over anything you learn on TBN.

/ Building a gun range, suggestions?
First suggestion: do not call it a "gun range" ever again. It is just for you and your family-- it is a dirt pile.

At the time, I wrote the the NRA to get suggestions about vendors. Ask them for designs, they will help members for free. You are a member, aren't you? I would take their advice over anything you learn on TBN.

Got it, building a nice pile of dirt. For the record it would be for my family and only close friends.

At this time I am not a member of the NRA, but I think that will change very shortly. I think it is probably worth the $35 a year.

Anybody have a depth of dirt needed in order to shoot, er suffice, for my uses?

/ Building a gun range, suggestions? #10  
Just as a what if, is it near your well. If you going to be slinging lead i would move the dirt pile below your drinking water source.

can always use 'range safe' frangible lead free ammo.

soundguy