Postal Rates Rising Again

/ Postal Rates Rising Again #2  
Yeah, and I just bought 100 stamps. :mad::mad:

/ Postal Rates Rising Again #3  
I wish they'd just charge everyone the same rate, especially junk mailers.

/ Postal Rates Rising Again #4  
and the USPS wonders why theyre going broke....

/ Postal Rates Rising Again #5  
That's why I pay alot of my bills on line. I purchase very few envlopes or stamps anymore

/ Postal Rates Rising Again #6  
Aaahh, the old memories. I was a postal clerk in Dallas for 5 years and was working a window selling stamps and such when the price of first class stamps went from 4 cents to 5 cents.:D Trains, busses, and trucks hauled that mail; airmail stamps cost way too much at 7 cents, and if you had something that was really urgent, Special Delivery was 30 cents. And of course, the Post Office handled all the parcels, too, since UPS, FedEx, and DHL didn't exist. And yep, people complained about the high price of stamps back then, too. Of course, with no Internet, more people wrote letters and sent postcards; yep, lots of folks complained about having to pay 2 cents for a "penny postcard". And my starting salary as a parttime letter carrier was $1.84 an hour. But by the time I started full time as a clerk, it was up to $2.00 an hour.:D

But as many others do now, nearly all my business is conducted via the Internet. I've written one check so far this year (to buy a car) and 2 checks last year, but none of them were mailed. Stamps are only for my wife to send greeting cards; i.e., Christmas, birthdays, anniversaries, Valentines, etc.

/ Postal Rates Rising Again #7  
Looks like they will be closing for one day a week as well,sounded like it might be Tuesday. Would be nice if they just raised the junk mail rate,wouldn't seem so bad if getting it ment it was keeping costs down.

/ Postal Rates Rising Again #9  
Looks like they will be closing for one day a week as well,sounded like it might be Tuesday. Would be nice if they just raised the junk mail rate,wouldn't seem so bad if getting it ment it was keeping costs down.

Fifty years ago, when I worked for the Post Office, even the employees thought they ought to charge more for the junk mail.:) And back then, mail was delivered to downtown offices (businesses) twice a day instead of once a day. But I've long been surprised that they still deliver on Saturdays. However, as you said, if they cut out one day a week, Saturday isn't the day they're considering.

Of course there'll always be some who don't want to see a change; just as it's been with the garbage collection. Lots of places that had garbage pickup twice a week have changed to once a week and many are unhappy about it. We've lived where it was twice a week and now where it's once a week, and once a week is just fine with us, just as mail delivery once a week would be OK with me. I can understand businesses needing delivery more often, but not residences.

/ Postal Rates Rising Again #10  
For you pay online folks... buyer be ware! Drain your accounts dry! And no reprecussions!

mark