4x4 Trucks

/ 4x4 Trucks #1  

L_Nicholson

Silver Member
Tractor
1998 JD 4400
I was wondering if anyone had comments on either the Dodge Dakota 4x4 crew cabs or Chevy Colorado 4x4 crew cabs.

I seem to be in the situation where I need to trade in my Corolla (grrrr) for a 4x4 as I work for a power company now and all these storms have things all messed up. My drive is .25 miles from the county road and given these last few snow and ice storms it has become crucial that I get to the office.

The Chevy and the Dodge are the prevalent ones in my area and so I wanted to hear any pros and cons to each of them.

Thanks folks!

Lee

/ 4x4 Trucks #2  
I have no knowledge of those particular vehicles, but have found

Carsurvey.org - Car Reviews

a good resource for reviews of vehicles before buying.

FWIW, I am driving my second Nissan crew cab truck. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, based on my experience.

/ 4x4 Trucks #3  
I was wondering if anyone had comments on either the Dodge Dakota 4x4 crew cabs or Chevy Colorado 4x4 crew cabs.
Lee
One thing I don't like about the Chevy Colorado and the GMC Canyon is you can't unlock the passenger side doors with the key on some models.

/ 4x4 Trucks #4  
We bought my step son a 4X4 Dodge Dakota club cab in 2005 and it had been surprisingly reliable. One incident with a timing sensor that required towing (covered by warranty) and no real problems other than that! Like all pickups it needs weight in the winter.

/ 4x4 Trucks #5  
Chevy Colorado 4x4 z71 is the way to go better all round truck and
better size to power ratio than the Dodge Dakota.

/ 4x4 Trucks
I owned a Nissan Crew cab and loved it no doubt but they are few and far between around here.

I drove the Colorado and thought it was nice but I've read a lot about recalls and tons of seals leaking.

I own a 2005 Dodge Durango 4x4 with 40k on and knock on wood, have had no problems.

I'm going to try and test drive a Dakota soon if all the ice storms, wind storms and being sick from working a million hours will let up.

I figure if there was a time to look and make a deal it would be now since it seems like they are begging to make deals right now.

I've been looking at 2006's since that seems to be a less trouble year for both of them.

/ 4x4 Trucks #7  
why not keep the corolla and just pick up a early 90's toyota 4x4 pickup for those nasty days on the cheep.

They will go places the full size trucks wont, get better gas millage, are virtually indestructible and last forever.

For $2500 (or less), libility only insurance, its a no brainer for me.

/ 4x4 Trucks #8  
We have several Chevy Colorados at work. All are crew cab but they are 2 wheel drive. Biggest complaint is the terrible visibilty to the side and rear. Rear area has very little legroom and seating area and absolutely no visibility. These are stripped models but if they are representative of what GM makes then no wonder they're having problems. Interior is very cheaply made. The 5 cylinder engine runs good and the truck actually drives pretty decent but no one likes them. May be a big difference if you buy a Z71 trimmed out nicely. My experience with these trucks has cured me of any desire to own one.

/ 4x4 Trucks #9  
I considered the Colorado when it was time to replace my 2000 Chevy S10 ZR-2. I felt the Colorado was a step down from the S10, ended up buying an 07 Ram 1500 with the 4.7L V-8. I looked at the Dakota, but the Ram offered more truck for the same money. Fuel mileage was the same, and surprisingly, my real world mileage is only 1 mpg less than my S10's.

/ 4x4 Trucks #10  
Why limit yourself to those two or even a pickup,you can not beat a toyota tacoma,got one. And we just bought a honda crv,that thing goes in the snow,got pretty good ground clearance to for a car.