raised hoop house

/ raised hoop house #1  

schmism

Tractor
New holland TC(33)
I had seen a pic of one that i really liked.

I never did find the pic again, but i built mine off what i could remember and some of my own design.

we built it on the driveway in the gravel free of the mud in the yard/garden. Figured it would be easy to chain it to the FEL to move it to its permant home.

We had talked about building one for a while, and the weather in our area is real iffy right now. You got to catch it when its not froze, but at the same time not all muddy from the thaw, and without very high temps, any rain means soft/muddy ground for days.

We lucked out, warm dry weather for about 5 days leading up to a couple of cold (20 deg low) nights before some more rain was forecast. it worked out perfect. WIth an early start with a good hard crust of about an 1" of frost ment i could easly work in the yard/garden without tearing it up.

I suppose i should have snapped a few pics of diggin holes with the PHD, but i was under the gun to get it dropped in the garden. The sun was shinning hard and melting the top layer quickly makeing a greasy mess. The PHD easly cut through the 1" crust and below was perfect digging dirt. not to wet, not to dry.

Its gotten cold cold again. lows in the teens so finishing the hoops and plastic will come in a few days when we get some 40deg sunny days again.

The goal will be to add 1-2 more depending on how well this one goes over and make changes on the others if there needs to be any.

all the pics -->Greenhouse Pics

oh ya, 22" high, 4' wide 12' long with a 8' hoop. long direction oriented E-W next one will likely be 5' wide with a full 10' stick of 1/2 PVC

/ raised hoop house #3  
Way to go Steve! That's a great start and shows just how badly you want to get your hoophouse going. I'm anxious to see how it all works out. I like the little shelf you put around the top so you can sit and work on your plants when the plastic is off the hoops. Do you plan to make the plastic cover so you can roll it up on the sides? I saw one done that way and it really looked convenient for venting and getting into the full bed to do work.

/ raised hoop house
ya the hoops will be ~3' OC (its gonna kind be a play it by ear thing) then ill run the plastic over, then rope will ziz-zag from one side to the other from eyelets on the ledge. This will allow you to scunch <--technical term the plastic up and hold it up for venting/working on the bed.

kinda like this
hoophouse.jpg
but the rope running from middle bay to middle bay zig-zaging back and forth

The goal is to have our early/late year garden stuff in it as well as the stuff that is just a PITA to weed. Like carrots, onions etc. As well as our perennial and annual self seeding herbs. Useing it as a green house for starting small seedings of tomatos and pepers etc.

The plan is onions, carrots at one end, a few rows of various lettice/greens, space for flats of starter seeds, and permanent herb garden on the other end.