Geothermal Prices in 2009

/ Geothermal Prices in 2009 #31  
We had a Tranquility geothermal installed in our house when we built it 4 yrs. ago. 27 SEER and the whole house (2400 sq. ft.) is electric.
Highest electric bill was last month, just over $300.

Good lord! I pay under $100 a month year round. And the AC unit is 8 SEER circa 1978. (I need to replace it). House is about 24-2500 sft.

Propane heat, water heater, dryer and stove and spend about $50-60 a month on that with about double that when it was -33F for a couple nights and the month had -18F highs.

Also burned up 6-8 full cord of wood that cost about 30 bucks for saw blades, fuel, and a couple cold ones.

/ Geothermal Prices in 2009
I posted before, I have a friend who's house is next to a cave... heat pump unit is in the cave (50 degrees year round)... Very efficient but he still burns wood because he has so much!

mark

The cave should be about as good as a ground source, one would think.
I've wondered about putting an air heat pump in a below ground vault.

Haven't gotten my price yet, but I did sign up to take a course to become IGSHPA certified. Waterfurnace wouldn't let me take their course, gotta be one of their distributors. This course won't be equipment specific, but trains you on the loop design, how to thermoweld the pipes, size the system, purge the air, etc... Maybe after this course I'll put my own loop in, maybe not...
I've been also reading up on other manufacturer's of GSHP. Seems Bosch owns FHP, so one would think they might have decent equipment. anyone have one?

/ Geothermal Prices in 2009 #33  
there is a place in KY that will rent the thermold pipe welder, system purge, etc....the grouting......

not bad on price.....probably have to drive to get it but there may be a similar place around your area.....

size and design of the system would be my biggest hold up....i have a buddy that is an excellent hvac designer......so i think he could help me quite a bit.....i may have a couple of leads of some good ole' boy well drillers.....

we'll see......

post/email all your notes, if you will!:D i looked at courses but they break it down in parts/systems.......i don't mind paying a good price, but not multiple times.....

will waterfurnace sell an individual components of their system?

The cave should be about as good as a ground source, one would think.
I've wondered about putting an air heat pump in a below ground vault.

Haven't gotten my price yet, but I did sign up to take a course to become IGSHPA certified. Waterfurnace wouldn't let me take their course, gotta be one of their distributors. This course won't be equipment specific, but trains you on the loop design, how to thermoweld the pipes, size the system, purge the air, etc... Maybe after this course I'll put my own loop in, maybe not...
I've been also reading up on other manufacturer's of GSHP. Seems Bosch owns FHP, so one would think they might have decent equipment. anyone have one?

/ Geothermal Prices in 2009 #34  
Just got this memo if it helps...

"Homeowners who install geothermal heat pump systems may be able to claim up to 30% of the installed costs in tax credits in the year the system is placed into service. The $2000 tax credit limit has been removed. The geothermal tax credit has a longer term, frmon January 1, 2009 and expires December 31, 2016."

Key words being "may be able to claim up to 30%"

Just got this memo if it helps...

"Homeowners who install geothermal heat pump systems may be able to claim up to 30% of the installed costs in tax credits in the year the system is placed into service. The $2000 tax credit limit has been removed. The geothermal tax credit has a longer term, frmon January 1, 2009 and expires December 31, 2016."

Key words being "may be able to claim up to 30%"

Yes, this makes it very attractive right now. I believe there is a EER minimum, so all sytems might not apply.

/ Geothermal Prices in 2009 #36  
i was reading some of the geothermal websites yesterday and in a few places they claimed that some systems, even with the energy star might not be eligible........i don't know this as fact, just some notes i saw.....

Yes, this makes it very attractive right now. I believe there is a EER minimum, so all sytems might not apply.

/ Geothermal Prices in 2009 #37  
Good lord! I pay under $100 a month year round. And the AC unit is 8 SEER circa 1978. (I need to replace it). House is about 24-2500 sft.

Propane heat, water heater, dryer and stove and spend about $50-60 a month on that with about double that when it was -33F for a couple nights and the month had -18F highs.

Also burned up 6-8 full cord of wood that cost about 30 bucks for saw blades, fuel, and a couple cold ones.

We listen to a gentleman here who promotes geothermal and many other energy saving techniques. On his radio show he has people from all over who will call in and say how much their utility bills are. They will range from 50/month for a 2000 sq. ft. house to, as the one poster said, 300 for a 2500 sq. ft house. There are so many other things that can be done for energy savings. Some of those are: caulking after the house is framed, cellulose insulation, radiant barrier, location of air conditioning unit and duct work, quality of windows, and how much shade/sun your house gets. There are more but I believe these are the basics that this gentleman talks about (Doug Rye).

I say this so we don't assume just geothermal is going to be the end all when it comes to energy savings. I'm sure everyone already knows this but just in case.:)

/ Geothermal Prices in 2009 #38  

Keep in mind, per catagory, all requirements must be met.

Geothermal

Closed loop 14.1 EER/3.3 COP
Open Loop 16.2 EER/3.6 COP
Direct expansion 15 EER/3.5 COP

Electric source heat pumps

15 SEER
12.5 EER
8.5 HSPF

Package heat pumps

14 SEER
12 EER
8 HSPF

Central air conditioners

16 SEER
13 EER

Package units (AKA gas packs)

14 SEER
12 EER

Naturual gas furnace

95% AFUE

Credits are retroactive to January 1st, 2009 and expire on December 31, 2010

Homeowners that previously claimed tax credits in 2006/2007 are eligible for the full $1500 limit.

Keep in mind, this credit does not only apply to HVAC equipment, but a wide range of improvements for your home.

www.energystar.gov

Update on my geo search. Still no quote on a system. I emailed today, they said soon.
I also contacted some DX geo people, and got no return calls from them. Maybe I'll spend my money on upgrading a tractor or something. :)

I have been looking at my past utility bills since I built my house in 1997, and based upon other peoples prices for geo systems, I doubt if it will pay to put one in, unless I can do it myself. But I will wait and see.