Pipe & Cable fencing costs

/ Pipe & Cable fencing costs #1  

DamonH

Tractor
2007 L5740
I'm trying to get a rough estimate of how much pipe and cable fencing would cost to run along the frontage of our property. I'll be hoping to do the work myself. In total I'd like to do about 7000 feet, but I'm sure do to costs I'll be spreading the task out over time.

Anyone have any incite? I'm in North East Texas if that matters any.

Thanks,
Damon

/ Pipe & Cable fencing costs #2  
Damon,
I live northeast of you about 35 miles, and I've built a few thousand feet of pipe fence on my place using 2 7/8" oilfield pipe for posts and toprail and 1" pipe for runners. Up until 10 years ago I was able to buy good used pipe for $.85 per foot and the 1" pipe was $.27. Now, though, used 2 7/8" is well over $1.00 per foot. I think it might be cheaper and simpler to buy new schedule 40... just a thought.
I know a few suppliers in my area. Send me an email at mckayland@gmail.com if you need the info.
Butch

/ Pipe & Cable fencing costs #3  
I don't know if this is the place to ask this, but is pipe fencing popular in Texas and other areas BECAUSE used pipe was available pretty cheap for a long time? I live in KY and I don't remember ever seeing a pipe fence here, but I know when I've traveled in the deeper south, I have seen quite a bit of it.

I like the good pipe fences that I've seen - they look pretty labor/talent intensive to install, but nearly maintenance free for a long time afterwards.

Just wondering. Thanks.

/ Pipe & Cable fencing costs #5  
Tim,
I'd say that availability was a big factor in the use of pipe fences in our area. That seems to have changed in the last 10 years. Prices have gone up to the point where new, lighter materials may be more practical.
Butch

/ Pipe & Cable fencing costs #6  
You aint kidin Butch. I use 3x3 3/16 for post and 2 3/8 pipe for runners and the 3x3 is running at 60-70 bucks for a 20ft stick.

/ Pipe & Cable fencing costs #7  
John,
I was a swing man for 31 years.
Butch