Pole Building questions....Minnesota

/ Pole Building questions....Minnesota #1  

foggy1111

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L 3560 HSTC, 805 Loader
I am planning to have a 30 x 40 x 10 high buidling put up this spring to store my tractor and implements as well as winter storage for my runabout boat....so I want to keep it vermin and insect free.

I am trying to keep this building low cost, but not at the expense of a poor building. The building will not be insulated and I wont have any electrical service (but I have a small generator for electric needs). I plan to put in a 4" concrete floor (w/ rebar) and a small apron and am doing the mouse-proof lower perimeter and a ridge light down the center. I am going with one 8x16 insulated overhead door and one walk door.

My questions have to do with overhang and venting.

1. If using a ridge lite...what is the proper way to vent this ridge and still keep it insect resistant? Use that "brillo pad" stuff?...or ?

2. I got a price on a building with 1 foot overhang with aluminum perforated soffits....along the side walls only The guy says my cost is about $1200 more due to my overhang and soffit request. I wonder if the overhang is necessary and wonder about other ways to provide some ventilation...yet keep out insects, bats and birds. Ideas?

And....In case your wondering my price for an erected building is about $13,000...less the concrete and site prep (some of which I will do myself). I have done no arm bending yet....cause I am uncertain about the venting and overhangs I need.

/ Pole Building questions....Minnesota #3  
I am planning to have a 30 x 40 x 10 high buidling put up this spring to store my tractor and implements as well as winter storage for my runabout boat....so I want to keep it vermin and insect free.

I am trying to keep this building low cost, but not at the expense of a poor building. The building will not be insulated and I wont have any electrical service (but I have a small generator for electric needs). I plan to put in a 4" concrete floor (w/ rebar) and a small apron and am doing the mouse-proof lower perimeter and a ridge light down the center. I am going with one 8x16 insulated overhead door and one walk door.

My questions have to do with overhang and venting.

1. If using a ridge lite...what is the proper way to vent this ridge and still keep it insect resistant? Use that "brillo pad" stuff?...or ?

2. I got a price on a building with 1 foot overhang with aluminum perforated soffits....along the side walls only The guy says my cost is about $1200 more due to my overhang and soffit request. I wonder if the overhang is necessary and wonder about other ways to provide some ventilation...yet keep out insects, bats and birds. Ideas?

And....In case your wondering my price for an erected building is about $13,000...less the concrete and site prep (some of which I will do myself). I have done no arm bending yet....cause I am uncertain about the venting and overhangs I need.

I have a 30x48 pole building with a 12 foot ceiling. There should be no issue with bugs in the ridge vent. These are not sealed tight enough to keep all bugs out, but I have very few in mine.

Go with the 1 ft overhang all the way around, and if you can, have the roof pitch come down on the door side to lessen the water that can collect in the trim and around the door.

I'd skip the re-bar, use fiberglass concrete. Mine's 5" thick, one continuous slab with cut joints. No cracks after 6 years...Alot better than messing with bar and wire.

I also have an 8x16 ft door..Put it in myself...easy. The cost is almost twice that of the 7x16..But the extra height is nice. Also have a man door and 4 sliding windows.

How much of the building does that 13k include?

/ Pole Building questions....Minnesota
taller door?

JoeL....did alot of agonizing over this height...but the 8 foot door and 10 foot ceilings are going to work out fine for me....like I say, gotta keep the cost down. :D

I have a 30x48 pole building with a 12 foot ceiling. There should be no issue with bugs in the ridge vent. These are not sealed tight enough to keep all bugs out, but I have very few in mine.

Go with the 1 ft overhang all the way around, and if you can, have the roof pitch come down on the door side to lessen the water that can collect in the trim and around the door.

I'd skip the re-bar, use fiberglass concrete. Mine's 5" thick, one continuous slab with cut joints. No cracks after 6 years...Alot better than messing with bar and wire.

I also have an 8x16 ft door..Put it in myself...easy. The cost is almost twice that of the 7x16..But the extra height is nice. Also have a man door and 4 sliding windows.

I'm going to put both the walk and overhead doors on the gable end...and do without overhangs on this gable (end) wall.....gotta $ave somewhere.... and I don't use the building that often.

On concrete....everyone has opinions....but this is Minnesota....and in my experience REBAR is the only way to go. BTDT

The 13 K is complete less concrete (2.25 psf plus rebar) and some gravel base expense.

I know everyone has different views on building attributes....BUT....Can we just stick to vent questions? :rolleyes: LOL

Timswi....did you put soffit on your overhang or any means to keep insects out along the eves?...or just open along the corrugations?

Also, I am not doing any windows as this building is in a remote area and I am trying to reduce security issues....and I don't have any electricity for lights....hence the full-length ridge lite.

/ Pole Building questions....Minnesota #6  
I know everyone has different views on building attributes....BUT....Can we just stick to vent questions? :rolleyes: LOL[/QUOTE]

OK, Sorry..Thought I gave you my experience on that, since I have pretty much the same set up.

I'll shut up now.

/ Pole Building questions....Minnesota #7  
Staple in screen mesh and skip extended soffits. Won't look as good but still functional. Soffits reduce weatherbeating on the siding & windows. I have a cuppola in the middle of the ridgelite it does not seal airtite but I have never needed to open it either. Building is brown sidewall & white roofing. Menards. When not - if - the bats & birds find their way in I just run the tractor for 15-20 mins & they leave & do not return.

I second the door size problem. When you add a second machine that small door will jam you up. 2 lane access is more than 100% better.

/ Pole Building questions....Minnesota #8  
Timswi....did you put soffit on your overhang or any means to keep insects out along the eves?...or just open along the corrugations?

Also, I am not doing any windows as this building is in a remote area and I am trying to reduce security issues....and I don't have any electricity for lights....hence the full-length ridge lite.

Sorry, I may have mis interpreted your response..I got a little snarky...My apologies.

I put vinyl vented soffits all the way down the 48 ft length. Moves a lot of air with the ridge vent...Helps cool it down, especially if you have no windows.

I have a 1x4 facia board running below the roof. This is covered in aluminum which holds the soffit panels.

If you're using shingles, this is needed to keep the roof from overheating in the summer.

I'm in an isolated area too...I thought long and hard about the windows. Had no problems, but the lack of cross ventiliation made it hot on the floor. I use this as a shop though.

I know everyone has different views on building attributes....BUT....Can we just stick to vent questions? :rolleyes: LOL

OK, Sorry..Thought I gave you my experience on that, since I have pretty much the same set up.

I'll shut up now.[/QUOTE]

OK...upon re-read I spose that sounded pretty harsh. Sorry Timswi...and thanks for your input. It's just that by the time you guys are done with me I will have an 80 x 150 x 20 with 8" concrete and floor drains and 400 amp service.:eek: LOL

/ Pole Building questions....Minnesota #10  

I'll shut up now.

OK...upon re-read I spose that sounded pretty harsh. Sorry Timswi...and thanks for your input. It's just that by the time you guys are done with me I will have an 80 x 150 x 20 with 8" concrete and floor drains and 400 amp service.:eek: LOL[/QUOTE]

We're cool...Is the builder using trusses, or is he stick building the roof. There is some labor involved on having the 1ft overhang, but I really can't see 1200 bucks. The soffit material is really cheap...Don't remember what I paid for it, but I'm the cheapest person I know, and it didn't bother me any.

I guess it all depends on what you want the finished product to look like. I vinyl sided mine to match the house along with the white sofit & facia and doors....

As far as the door, there are times when double doors would be nice, but when you have to bring in a big trailer, or want to fix something in the middle of the floor, the 16 footer is pretty nice.