Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super C

Default Texas Sweet Onion #1015 Seed

I have been looking and have yet to find the seeds ... any ideas ??

Tractor
    kubota B7500 1948 Farmall A 1968 Cub Cadet 73

Default Re: Texas Sweet Onion #1015 Seed

Take what you can eat, leave the rest!

From the website (link) provided by Mike4038:

Texas 1015Y (100 days) Hybrid - Short Day - Developed by Dr. Leonard Pike of Texas A&M University, it's name derives from the planting date in Texas (October 15). Flattened yellow bulbs with rounded shoulders. The sweetest of the sweet varieites, but doesn't store well (about a month). It is considered a Short Day onion, but as it takes longer for bulbs to develop, it can be used in Intermediate and Long Day areas.
    I knew they claim the seeds should be planted by October 15, but I never used the seeds. Instead I bought the plants (onion sets) in January or February and the 1015Y was the variety I always planted, but I disagree with them about not storing well. Maybe it depends on how you store them, but I tied the tops in bundles of 4 to 6 onions and hung them in my shop building and it was not unusual to have good onions 6 months later.
    Bird

I tied the tops in bundles of 4 to 6 onions and hung them in my shop building and it was not unusual to have good onions 6 months later
    It may be the tops help for storage??? They may act as a wick for drying???

Same as threaded stings of Garlic or hot peppers.

That is the a method used to store onions that has been used by individuals since time began. We tried to keep ours in a cool place also.

That method may not be feasible for commercial applications due to labour, storage and handling requirements of commercial operations?
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Egon, maybe when they said they don't store well, they meant for commercial operations. I would have preferred storing my onions in a cool place, but didn't really have one. So my shop was an uninsulated wood framed, metal skinned building. It got very hot in there, and I had some the doubts the first year, and was pleasantly surprised at how well they kept. Now the purple or red onions I grew one year were another matter. They didn't keep well at all.
    Bird

Bird, our onion harvesting weather takes place in the fall so there is a difference in how one can do things. Our climates are also just a little different! We surely do not plant in the middle of winter either!

When you were storing the onions in warm areas that were ventilated I'd almost think a drying process was going on.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by mike4038 View Post
    Mike ... Thanks for the link, I had already been there, maybe I missed the SEED ... I see the Texas 1015 by the bunch(s) What I want is the seed.

Thanks
    BR

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    From the website (link) provided by Mike4038:

I knew they claim the seeds should be planted by October 15, but I never used the seeds. Instead I bought the plants (onion sets) in January or February and the 1015Y was the variety I always planted, but I disagree with them about not storing well. Maybe it depends on how you store them, but I tied the tops in bundles of 4 to 6 onions and hung them in my shop building and it was not unusual to have good onions 6 months later.
    Bird ... Thats what I have been doing using the onion sets planting by the Almanac in February and I have been storing just the onion on screens in the shed with good luck, this year I am going to try the hanging idea with some of them ... set out 1800 this year.

Thanks,
    BR

Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    Bird, our onion harvesting weather takes place in the fall so there is a difference in how one can do things. Our climates are also just a little different! We surely do not plant in the middle of winter either!

When you were storing the onions in warm areas that were ventilated I'd almost think a drying process was going on.
    Yep, it's a little different climate, Egon. I just had a quick look at a couple of years records and see that I put my onion sets in the ground on 2/9/99, pulled onions to eat after a month, but pulled and stored all of them on 5/16/99. The next year, I planted the onion sets on 2/3/00 and pulled and stored all of them on 5/23/00. In other words, about 3 months growing time. Unfortunately, I didn't record the exact date the last of them were used, but I think we always had onions until Thanksgiving.
    Bird

this year I am going to try the hanging idea with some of them
    That was the way I learned to do it as a kid. My folks tied the bundles of onions and hung them in the barn. Potatoes were stored on screens in the cellar.

So I never removed the tops from the onions until we were ready to use them, and of course did not wash them before hanging them up.
    Bird

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast