Texas Sweet Onion #1015 Seed

/ Texas Sweet Onion #1015 Seed #1  

blueriver

Tractor
JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super A Montana 5720C
I have been looking and have yet to find the seeds ... any ideas ??

/ Texas Sweet Onion #1015 Seed #3  
From the website (link) provided by Mike4038:

Texas 1015Y (100 days) Hybrid - Short Day - Developed by Dr. Leonard Pike of Texas A&M University, it's name derives from the planting date in Texas (October 15). Flattened yellow bulbs with rounded shoulders. The sweetest of the sweet varieites, but doesn't store well (about a month). It is considered a Short Day onion, but as it takes longer for bulbs to develop, it can be used in Intermediate and Long Day areas.

I knew they claim the seeds should be planted by October 15, but I never used the seeds. Instead I bought the plants (onion sets) in January or February and the 1015Y was the variety I always planted, but I disagree with them about not storing well. Maybe it depends on how you store them, but I tied the tops in bundles of 4 to 6 onions and hung them in my shop building and it was not unusual to have good onions 6 months later.

/ Texas Sweet Onion #1015 Seed #4  
I tied the tops in bundles of 4 to 6 onions and hung them in my shop building and it was not unusual to have good onions 6 months later

It may be the tops help for storage???:confused: They may act as a wick for drying???:confused:

Same as threaded stings of Garlic or hot peppers.:D

That is the a method used to store onions that has been used by individuals since time began. We tried to keep ours in a cool place also.

That method may not be feasible for commercial applications due to labour, storage and handling requirements of commercial operations?:confused:

/ Texas Sweet Onion #1015 Seed #5  
Egon, maybe when they said they don't store well, they meant for commercial operations. I would have preferred storing my onions in a cool place, but didn't really have one. So my shop was an uninsulated wood framed, metal skinned building. It got very hot in there, and I had some the doubts the first year, and was pleasantly surprised at how well they kept. Now the purple or red onions I grew one year were another matter.:D They didn't keep well at all.

/ Texas Sweet Onion #1015 Seed #6  
Bird, our onion harvesting weather takes place in the fall so there is a difference in how one can do things. Our climates are also just a little different!:D We surely do not plant in the middle of winter either!:D

When you were storing the onions in warm areas that were ventilated I'd almost think a drying process was going on.:confused:

/ Texas Sweet Onion #1015 Seed
From the website (link) provided by Mike4038:

I knew they claim the seeds should be planted by October 15, but I never used the seeds. Instead I bought the plants (onion sets) in January or February and the 1015Y was the variety I always planted, but I disagree with them about not storing well. Maybe it depends on how you store them, but I tied the tops in bundles of 4 to 6 onions and hung them in my shop building and it was not unusual to have good onions 6 months later.

Bird ... Thats what I have been doing using the onion sets planting by the Almanac in February and I have been storing just the onion on screens in the shed with good luck, this year I am going to try the hanging idea with some of them ... set out 1800 this year.

Thanks,
BR

/ Texas Sweet Onion #1015 Seed #9  
Bird, our onion harvesting weather takes place in the fall so there is a difference in how one can do things. Our climates are also just a little different!:D We surely do not plant in the middle of winter either!:D

When you were storing the onions in warm areas that were ventilated I'd almost think a drying process was going on.:confused:

Yep, it's a little different climate, Egon.:D I just had a quick look at a couple of years records and see that I put my onion sets in the ground on 2/9/99, pulled onions to eat after a month, but pulled and stored all of them on 5/16/99. The next year, I planted the onion sets on 2/3/00 and pulled and stored all of them on 5/23/00. In other words, about 3 months growing time. Unfortunately, I didn't record the exact date the last of them were used, but I think we always had onions until Thanksgiving.

/ Texas Sweet Onion #1015 Seed #10  
this year I am going to try the hanging idea with some of them

That was the way I learned to do it as a kid. My folks tied the bundles of onions and hung them in the barn. Potatoes were stored on screens in the cellar.

So I never removed the tops from the onions until we were ready to use them, and of course did not wash them before hanging them up.