How to cut conveyor belt?

/ How to cut conveyor belt?
Welcome to TBN. Thanks for replying to this 5 year old thread. As that cutter only cuts belts up to 3/16" and mine is 4 times that thickness at 3/4", it would not be useful in this application.

/ How to cut conveyor belt? #73  
I would have overlapped the length of the belt with the previous piece and driven LONG ring sank pole barn nails through both layers along the overlap area to anchor and forgot the whole cutting idea ....

/ How to cut conveyor belt? #74  
Since were replying to an old thread, I will tell you how I cut 1/2" x 54" belt. I mark it with a drywall square and a piece of soapstone. I have an old sheet clamp that I put beside the mark and then I hook the clamp to my front end loader and pick up that side of the belt about 2 feet off the ground. I then put my foot on the other side of the mark to add extra side pressure and then I cut down my soapstone mark with my cordless sawzall. It works best with two people so one person can stay on the tractor and pick up a little more as you cut across the belt. It cuts so easy you have to be careful not to go faster than you can follow the line.

I had tried a jig saw with coarse teeth and a sawzall with a razor type blade on it and both gummed up quickly. I'm guessing that maybe you used a sawzall with very coarse teeth and at a low speed?

/ How to cut conveyor belt? #76  
Once needing to cut box stall matts I tried just about everything: jigsaw, grinder, box knife, circular saw etc etc.
What I found to work best was to flop the matt over a 2 X 4 and use a sharp or new box blade knife and a guide (like gypsum 'T').
Laying over the 2 x 4 forced the cut to split open as the blade advanced reducing friction.
Quite honestly once set up cutting 3/4" rubber mattes was like slicing tomatoes.(or butter with a hot knife)

/ How to cut conveyor belt? #77  
Sandwich belt between two planks and cut in the middle of the plank with a circular saw or chain saw

/ How to cut conveyor belt? #78  
try this or some thing more modern from Flexco, a conveyor belt splice supplier.
here is the URL Alligator Conveyer Wide Belt Cutter 5 32" to 3 16" 20 300 | eBay
The cutter is for making cuts across the belt to accommodate splicing. I don't see why one could not jig up a straight edge to cut a belt lengthwise.

The Ebay item has a small blade, but new blades capable of 1 1/8" and 1 9/16" belt are available as is a track/grooved base plate to run the cutter in for a straight cut, from Flexco
URL: Flexco - Alligator 300 Series Belt Cutter.
Just nail the plate to the belt and cut 5', then reposition and nail again and cut, ad infinitum.

Once needing to cut box stall matts I tried just about everything: jigsaw, grinder, box knife, circular saw etc etc.
What I found to work best was to flop the matt over a 2 X 4 and use a sharp or new box blade knife and a guide (like gypsum 'T').
Laying over the 2 x 4 forced the cut to split open as the blade advanced reducing friction.
Quite honestly once set up cutting 3/4" rubber mattes was like slicing tomatoes.(or butter with a hot knife)

This is the only way I have found that works (while lubricating the blade with diesel) without buying a very expensive machine, but I can't agree that it is as easy as slicing tomatoes.:confused2:

/ How to cut conveyor belt? #80  
I don't know so much about cutting the belt lengthwise, but in a long-wall coal mine we just used utility knives to make belt splices on the section and mainline belts on everything up to 60" or 66" belt. If we had time to plan for it, I think fennerdunlop makes a belt splicing knife that clamps down onto the belt and you spin the handle at one end and it draws a knife through the belt in one pass. This was at least 3/4" belting btw. WD-40 was only used as a lubricant to drive in the rivets. Good sharp blades is the only good advice I have! Maybe hire someone gullible to do it for you?