Heat stroke isn't cool...

/ Heat stroke isn't cool... #1  

MChalkley

Elite Member
Tractor
EarthForce EF-5 mini-TLB (2001)
Heat stroke isn\'t cool...

I suppose this belongs in the "Off Topic and Just For Fun" forum, but I, for what will be obvious reasons, can't bring myself to consider it "off topic", and it certainly wasn't fun, so I'm putting it here.

Almost three weeks ago, while working on a landscaping project during 95-100 degree weather with 90%-plus humidity levels over a period of two days, I got a serious introduction to the perils of heat stroke. (I've learned that some doctors say that heat stroke and heat exhaustion are two different things, with heat stroke being a sudden debilitation due to heat and/or exertion, but others say that the terms are interchangeable, with there being different types and degrees of either. My doctor falls into the latter camp, so I'm using his terminology.)

Anyway, to make a long story short, even though I didn't know I was getting it at the time and was actually patting myself on the back for handling the conditions so well, the whole time I was actually digging a deeper and deeper hole for myself. The symptoms, which started on the third day, included diarrhea, muscle aches worse than with the worst flu I've ever had, nausea, dizziness, inability to sweat, etc. They persisted for 4 or 5 days, then after another couple days, when I thought I'd gotten over it, most of them returned, along with a potentially far more serious symptom, heart arythmia.

And all this because, even though I drank more than 15 half liters of water the first day and more than 20 the second, I only drank water. I was too hot to be hungry and didn't drink any "sports drink" concoctions, so flushed the electrolyte levels in my system down to dangerously low levels. The doctor says half of the fluids I drank should've been sports drinks, and that probably would've prevented it.

The length of time this episode has affected me is pretty unbelievable, too. Whereas I used to run normally on 4-5 hours of sleep a night, I now need 8-10 to make it and there's no sign of this easing up. Suffice it to say, I'm not getting nearly as much done these days, but I know a lot more about heat stroke than I used to. I'd rather have learned some other way, though. So, the moral of the story is: On days when the heat index is high, make sure you drink plenty of fluids, but also make sure you get your salt and, especially, potasium to keep things working.

Mark

/ Heat stroke isn't cool... #2  
Re: Heat stroke isn\'t cool...

Mark -

Again, glad you're on the road to recovery.

Just wanted you to know that your post isn't falling on deaf ears (eyes?). I am one of those (and I doubt I'm alone here) who takes pride in my ability to "tough it out" under adverse conditions. After reading your story I think I can cleary see the fine line between "tough" and "stupid".

We're in our hot season out here in California and I've already spent more than one weekend out in the sun with my DR Trimmer/Mower. I rarely stopped to drink 'cuz A) I wanted to get as much done as I could in the time I had to spend, and B) DR Trimmer/Mowers don't have a cup-holder. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I passed the half-century mark a couple of years ago, so I guess it's time to stop acting like a kid and realize that our bodys need their fluids every bit as much as our tractors.

Thank you very much for your post, and I hope you will be receiving commisions from the Gatorade people. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Heat stroke isn't cool... #3  

All I can say is ouch! guess it pays to drink more than just water on a hot day. As I said in the other post hope your feeling better. Keep pumping those vitamins and you'll be back to your old self in no time./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Did your tractor made it through the heat ok? Maybe you should have had a few shots of amsoil to help keep the juices flowing./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Really just glad that your feeling better the board wasn't the same without you!!
Gordon

/ Heat stroke isn't cool... #4  

Well now I guess it's official. Mark needs adult supervision when out playing with . . .(uumh) . . working with his tractor and someone needs to tell him when its time to go to bed. All kidding aside, we're glad this bad experience is behind you. It will serve as a lesson for all of us. Welcome back.

/ Heat stroke isn't cool... #5  

Mark,

Glad to hear your back. Hope you recovery is coming along well. I have had a small heat stroke as a teen working out for ski season. It wasn't much fun, But you know about that! I also have the problem with tring to tough things out. But so far nothing serious has come out of it, I must be borrowed time (seems kinda scary). Well take take of you self. Remeber there is only 1 of you!

Derek

/ Heat stroke isn't cool... #6  

I've often wondered just how much good the sports drinks do over just drinking water, and I guess they really are better. I have a 69 year old neighbor who has been drinking lots of water and 3 weeks ago he went to the doctor with similar symptoms (his wife was scared to death it was something really serious) and the doctor told him he just needed to be drinking Powerade (this particular doctor said it has some things in it that made it better than Gatorade). I've been drinking lots of lemon/lime Gatorade the last few years even if it is the wrong <font color=green>color</font color=green> (my brother drinks the <font color=orange>orange colored</font color=orange> Gatorade), but I've changed to the <font color=blue>blue</font color=blue> Powerade (hate to admit it where JimBinMI might read it); don't know whether it works any better, but it tastes better to me. Good luck on your recovery.

Bird

/ Heat stroke isn't cool... #7  

I was wondering too. Glad you're back and recovering.

/ Heat stroke isn't cool... #8  

Mark,
Darn good advice you given,but some people just don't know when is enough while working and become ill.

The sign are there but refuse to heed the warnings...maybe thats being stubborn./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Stay safe and be /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Thomas..NH

/ Heat stroke isn't cool... #9  

I'm glad your are recovering well. A few years ago I worked for a food broker peddling Gatorade. Maybe that is why I think it is better that Powerade and the other sports drinks. In the past I played in softball tournaments in July and August. If I drank water I got sick to my stomach. If I drank Gatorade I did not. Gatorade and other sports drinks do provide the badly need electrolytes and also get into your system quicker that water. Be careful from now on!

/ Heat stroke isn't cool... #10  

Glad youre doing all right...I don't particularly care for power drinks...myself but will usually drink power aid...I fell into this heat trap while in the USN at Great lakes...went to the doc told'm how I felt...He just shook his head told me what my problem was right off...Said I was the 5th person that week...Gave me this nasty tasting stuff called petialite "YUUUK!!!"This stuff is why I dont like gator aid (gator aid to me has a faint taste of it that and it's to salty)...Said what your doc told you, water is not enough...Still have to watch myself.. I tend to just keep on going even though I know better...Lately have taken the habit of draging a small cooler with me some how...even if it means sitting it aside once I get to the area I plan to work...Course if I had that tractor with FEL I could just sit it in there till I get there.../w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif...

If you have a problem with lack of potasium try a few bananas or add more potatos to ya diet...swhat my doc suggested...So far seems to have stopped the leg cramps...

Hope you feel up to snuff soon...keep/w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Lil' Paul

Laziness is the Father of invention.../w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif