Saving electricity

/ Saving electricity #1  

rgood

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2210D
Guys, How long do you think an Electric H20 Heater needs to be turned off in order to save electricity. Obviously, I know if you go on vacation, there's no point in leaving the heater on. But is there any efficiency in turning it off for 8 hours - Or are your savings lost when you heat the water back up?

/ Saving electricity #2  
Guys, How long do you think an Electric H20 Heater needs to be turned off in order to save electricity. Obviously, I know if you go on vacation, there's no point in leaving the heater on. But is there any efficiency in turning it off for 8 hours - Or are your savings lost when you heat the water back up?

An interesting question. I never turn ours off unless I am turning off the water to the house. Am I wasting electricity? I don't know.

/ Saving electricity #3  

I think a water heater blanket for an electric water heater will save more $ over an 8 hour time span than turning it off and no blanket.

/ Saving electricity #4  
If you are living in a cold area and the heat emanating from the water heater goes toward heating the house would it be considered a heat loss during the heating season?:D

/ Saving electricity #5  
That is a good question.. I bet the only way to really get a good idea is to put one of the kilowatt meters on it and record usage for a few days.. If you find out it runs quite a bit between say 9am and 4pm OR 9pm and 5am (when hot water usage is probably pretty low) then you can calculate and see if you can save anything

Brian

/ Saving electricity #6  
edited - double tap somehow

/ Saving electricity #7  
Kill-a-watts work on 100 volt appliances only. Maybe spend a month manually flipping the breaker off at night and check your bill.

/ Saving electricity
I would think that if I had a pan of water on the stove and maintained that at 120 for 8 hours, that would take more energy then heating it from from cold when I needed it - But I don't know the details on hot water heaters.

/ Saving electricity #9  
I would say it probably has to be off quite a while. Some tank heat loss tables I have used for other calculations say a steel tank with 1" of insulation, filled with 120F water in 60F still air will loose about 25 BTU per SQ/FT per hour. A 50 gallon water tank has about 21.3 SQ/FT of surface area, so that is about 532 BTU of heat loss per hour. It takes 4000 BTU of loss to drop the tank temp on 400# of water 10F. So the tank would probably only be down about 10F in 8 hours. An electric heating element delivers about 3413 BTU per KW per hour, so a standard 4.5KW heating element would heat at a rate of 15,359 BTU, which would put the tank back up to 120F in about 15 minutes, at a cost of around 1 KW hour(multiply by your local power rate). If you use hot water in the morning and the tank warms to shutoff temp, it probably dosn't run again all day unless it is in a drafty unheated basement space. Most tanks also have more than 1 inch of insulation around them, and more is better in this case.

It should take about 1.56 hours for the 4500W element to heat a tank from 60F to 120F. That is a little over 7KW hours of energy(again multiply by your local rate). If your power rate is say 10 cents per KW/HR, then it would take 70cents to heat that tank of water from 60F to 120F. If not being used, and the tank only re-heats say 2.5 times a day at 10 cents per re-heat, you would have to turn it off for about 3 days to equal that 70cents to fully re-heat a tank that has cooled to room temperature. Under the above conditions, I would guess that any day after 3 days, you are saving about 25 cents per day... These numbers are very rough, so YMMV.

/ Saving electricity #10  

I won't qoute you any specifics, because I have none to give you. My grandfather (plumber) and my brother (plumber) both have taught me to wrap my pipes, wrap my heater, and install a little gray box, water heater timer. It isn't how long it needs to be off to save money, it really is how much are you paying to heat water 24 hours a day 7 days a week. The avg heater will kick on and off (depending on all sorts of variables) all day constantly heating the water to the same temperature whether you use it or not.

I heat my water twice a day, all year long. It has a manual override, so when I have company over and they take 30 minute showers I can turn the water heater on ...or off (depending on whether or not I care for the person).:D

I heat my water for 4 hours in the morning (wife and I hit the shower at different times), and for four hours at night. I set mine up to come on about 30 minutes before our day begins, and to shut off about and hour after we normally leave for work. I have it set to turn on about the time I leave from work to go home. We rarely use all the water, or the water gets cold. If it does, about 10 minutes will get you a new hot tank.

Wiring it up is easy, as you will already have electric running to an electric one.

Don't know if this long winded diatribe has helped or not.

Hee is a link so you can see what I am talking about. You can buy other versions of this if you choose. I also think you can get a better price than the one offered here. I just pasted this link cause it was the first one I opened with a pic. http://www.science-city.com/ligrboxinmow.html

Last edited: