building a stone fire pit

/ building a stone fire pit #1  

bhostasa

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2015 HST
Hi everyone. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this but I'll start it here. I am planning on building a large fire pit out by the pond this spring and was wondering if anyone has done this recently.

I am figuring on a 18-20" high wall with a 6' ID (so I can throw large limbs in without extra sawing). I was originally planning on using a firebrick inner wall with a more decorative stone on the exterior and top. I just started looking at a paver system (Unilock) also.

With the paver system, you don't have to use any mortar or firebrick. You also don't have to pour a footer. Material costs should be pretty comparable...around $600-700.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with either one of these?

/ building a stone fire pit #2  

Attachments

• firepit.JPG
    firepit.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 9,516
   / building a stone fire pit #3  
I have one just a little smaller out at the lake. It is constructed different with three flat slate rocks sitting on a stone rubble base that is about a foot high. :D

Attachments

• firehill_edited-1.jpg
    firehill_edited-1.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 1,477
   / building a stone fire pit #4  
I don't like pits, I have this wierd fear of either falling in or a little kid falling in. Plus don't they fill with water?

Here is my "pit"...

Last edited:
   / building a stone fire pit #5  
I don't like pits, I have this wierd fear of either falling in or a little kid falling in. Plus don't they fill with water?

Here is my "pit"...

Good Evenin Ridgewalker,
Well my little kids are 27 and 25 so Im not too worried about them fallin in ! ;) In reality its not a pit, its just a circle of field stone to help contain the fire ! A child could just as easily fall into your camp fire as mine with the surrounding stone IMO .

Fill with water ? No it just percolates into the ground. If it was dug out slightly it might take a bit longer to empty in a heavy rain.

If I had any grand children, I might have a different opinion, and would probablly have to take extra precausions !

/ building a stone fire pit #8  
Those concrete blocks are gona crack when you get a decent fire built! Maybe even with the first one.:D

/ building a stone fire pit #9  
Might consider making it tree sided and wide enough to empty ashes with your FEL.

MarkV

/ building a stone fire pit #10  
Diy network's show rock solid showed how to make one. I just used field stone mortored together its holding up great and i burn paper/cardboard in it all year long. One thing i did do was make sure it would fit a fire grate if needed to cook over. I have some perferated stainless steel that works great.