Moving firewood across state boundaries

/ Moving firewood across state boundaries #1  

BobRip

Elite Member
Tractor
2000 Power Trac 422
I would like to take a small amount of firewood to my daughter. She lives in North Carolina and I live in Virginia. Are there any legal issues with this? Transportation of Firewood across interstate boundaries for burning purposes?

/ Moving firewood across state boundaries #2  
Yes. There are legal issues. Especially with the emerald ash borer now. Don't know about those two states, though.

/ Moving firewood across state boundaries #3  
I don't know, but you could have her call the Ag Extension Office in her county.

/ Moving firewood across state boundaries #4  
In Illinois were not suppost to take wood out of our own counties, the state parks now require you to purchase local firewood from the park area, and will not allow firewood to be brought in anymore. All due to the emerald ash bore. I would check with the dept of ag in both states before moving any firewood. Worse case maybe your daughter has a neighbor you could cut firewood on and give it to her that way.

/ Moving firewood across state boundaries #5  
Were you going to drive all night to visit her? Just kidding- with this darn EAB they don't want to see firewood moved across county lines let along from one side of the county to the other here in Ohio. Your safest bet is to her to buy locally.

/ Moving firewood across state boundaries #6  
Seems I'm a lowlife lawbreaker!! I would have never thought there'd be issues taking wood across borders.

Couple years ago we had the farm selectively timbered. Once all the slash was laying around, an old friend of mine was here to visit from alabama. he LIVES to camp out and could not believe all the free "firewood" we had laying around so he loaded up every inch of his car with wood to take to his home in Birmingham.

oops!

:rolleyes:

/ Moving firewood across state boundaries #7  
That was a couple years ago.... here in Ohio firewood handled close to the same way. Today is much different.

/ Moving firewood across state boundaries #8  
I know here we are really worried about the emerald ash borer and hemlock woolly adelgid. two nasty little creatures that can have a devistating effect on our woods. The hemlocks cool our trout streams and if they are gone so are our native trout. There are parts of pa that supply most of the ash for baseball bats, the emerald borer gets in there its going to be devistating.

/ Moving firewood across state boundaries #9  
Seems I'm a lowlife lawbreaker!! I would have never thought there'd be issues taking wood across borders.

:rolleyes:
We alway took our own firewood wherever we went camping or traveling.
It was never an issue .
Bet the RVs love the restriction.

/ Moving firewood across state boundaries
Thanks for all of the comments. I called the county where she lives and talked to an environmental guy at the county government office. He said no problem. They have the same insects and problems that we do.