two bedroom perc site.

/ two bedroom perc site. #1  

mgabriel

I'm new to this thread... We own four acres in middle TN and plan to build in the near future. The land already has an existing 2 bedroom septic system. In our present house we use about 6000 gallons of water per month. In the house we plan to build we are going to include all energy efficient appliances. We are considering installing a Brac system to recycle our water, which should cut down our water use by a third. Here is the issue. We would like to upgrade to a three bedroom septic system but due to the layout of the property it will be pretty expensive. I had a soil scientist come out the other day and he did not give me any cheap options. I feel the measures we are taking to conserve nature痴 resources would justify building a three bedroom house on a two bedroom septic system. TN views each bedroom as using 150 gallons of water per day. If that is the case then our family would be using 9300 gallons a month, which presently is 40% more then we use.
Has anyone been in a similar situation? I don't want to build a house and septic issues but neither do I want to plump down thousands just to upgrade it by one bedroom. I would have to disclose this information if I went to sell the house which might be a big turnoff.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

/ two bedroom perc site. #2  
We just built out in OR and had a similar issue. We sized the septic for 4 bedrooms, which was the largest the county would allow.

One way around this is to add a den, family room, or storage room instead of another bedroom. The difference is whether or not the room has a closet. If it doesn't, it is not a bedroom. You can always put a wardrobe or two in the room and have some closet space.

The only issue is that for resale you would only be able to list it as 2 BR plus den.

The other potential would be a separate grey water system, which could reduce your septic load considerably.

/ two bedroom perc site. #3  
Maybe they would let you put a dual flush toilet in with the Grey water recycling they might let you. Or a composting toilet or an inconorlet.

tom

/ two bedroom perc site. #4  
Just my opinion of some of the "governing crats" and their rules and regs.:mad:
Is you family going to use more water because you home has another bedroom? Do they count "bed wetters"?:D

/ two bedroom perc site. #5  
Is you family going to use more water because you home has another bedroom?

The OP's family isn't going to use more water because of the bedroom, but the county's logic is that the more bedrooms, the more potential residents in the house, and that does drive up water use.

I think the number of BRs restriction is about as good as they can do, and is fair.

/ two bedroom perc site. #6  
The OP's family isn't going to use more water because of the bedroom, but the county's logic is that the more bedrooms, the more potential residents in the house, and that does drive up water use.

I think the number of BRs restriction is about as good as they can do, and is fair.

I agree with Dave. The county has to look at the house and future residents. Even though I was single when I built my house, I had to size my aerobic system based on the number of bedrooms. Even though one bedroom is completely open--no wall--and is used as an office, my plan said it was an optional bedroom and I had to use three bedrooms as my baseline. I think that's fair.

/ two bedroom perc site. #7  
One way around this is to add a den, family room, or storage room instead of another bedroom. The difference is whether or not the room has a closet. If it doesn't, it is not a bedroom. You can always put a wardrobe or two in the room and have some closet space.

This is very common and done all over the place.

Eddie

/ two bedroom perc site.
Thanks for all your input. When the septic system was build in the early 80's, appliances were not as efficient. In the 80's the average toilet used 5-7 gallons per flush. The Dual toilet averages out to around 1.3. So it is using about 75% less water. A Washing Machine installed in the 80痴 used between 48 ?5 gallons per load. Today a high Energy Washer uses 15 gallons of water. That is 70% less water. Dishwasher installed in 80痴 used about 14 Gallons per load. Today a Energy star dishwasher uses about 4 gallons. That is about 70% less water. Perhap's I'm missing something, but I would think with appliances being more efficient that there would be some wiggle room.

/ two bedroom perc site. #9  
I would think that the question is not if you can make it work but if the county will let you do it. Around here, even in places that do not require building permits, you still have to get a permit from the health department clearing your septic system before you can have power hooked up. If you need a building permit the septic permit has to be issued first and will specify how many bedrooms you can be permitted for.

I would also have the existing system inspected to see what condition it is in. If the system is weak to begin with it would seem better to replace it now than when the building is up.

Good luck,
MarkV

/ two bedroom perc site. #10  
Perhap's I'm missing something, but I would think with appliances being more efficient that there would be some wiggle room.

What you are missing is that you are dealing with a government bureaucracy. They make the rules and have all the power.