How to clone/propagate blueberries?

/ How to clone/propagate blueberries? #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
We've already got a boatload of blueberry bushes... I'd like to start another row.

I bought some rootstart (or something like that) that I understand is to help roots sprout from a clipped part.

Anyone ever do this and able to give some advice on the best way to take some cuttings and get them rooted??

Right now, all I have are the plants that are JUST starting to bud, some plastic planter pots to do something in, some potting soil and the rootstart stuff.

Clip 2" of sprouts & put into pot... cut 15" of growth and put into pot?

What i'm looking for if anyone knows and is so inclinced to share... a step by step hand hold of "do this... then this....then this....." and I'll 'git-r-done'

!

/ How to clone/propagate blueberries? #2  
Richard,

I just found a site called GardenWeb, which seems to have expert (and non-expert) advice on all things plant-like....you might check it out.

Chuck

/ How to clone/propagate blueberries? #3  
I've done it but let me start by saying it is not easy, Blueberrys don't propagate easily.

Cut shoots at the end of the growing season with at least 4 buds on them. Cut just below the bottom bud at a 45 degree angle and about 1 inch above the top bud.

Cover the cuttings with peat moss and make sure you know which end was the bottom of the shoot. Let them sit over winter in a cool area and wait.

When buds start to swell on the outside bushes in the spring take out your cuttings, dip into rooting hormone, and mix up a planting mixture of 50/50 sand and peat moss. Poke a hole in the moist mix with a pencil and insert the dipped cutting. Firm the medium around the cutting.

Put the planter into a clear plastic bag and set into a shady area, check every week to make sure the soil is moist.

Wait.

It took almost a year before mine were ready to transplant.

The success rate was only about 25%

This method came from a pamphlet issued by the government Ag dept.

Good Luck!

/ How to clone/propagate blueberries? #4  
I've been expanding mine and even giving plants to friends. I find shoots that are coming up near the main bush, dig them up and try to get some roots with them and either move to the new row or pot them to give away.
I bought some of that starter chem but haven't had much luck with it. It's some kind of hormone. I saw an episode of Martha Stewart where she made her own starter fluid. I think she boiled ***** Willow cuttings and made a sort of Tea, IIRC. There might be something on her website.

/ How to clone/propagate blueberries? #5  
You could also try bending a branch down to the ground, making a nick in the bark but not all the way around, of course, put some rooting powder on it and stake the cut into the soil. Keep the cut covered with mulch and keep it moist all summer. It should sprout some roots. Cut the branch from the main plant, dig and transplant.

I have used this method for many types of shrubs and bushes, but never on blueberries. I have some blueberry plants on order for this spring. :)

/ How to clone/propagate blueberries? #6  
dip cutting in rooting horomone make the cutting at an angle not a straight cut.
This gives more surface area to start good roots.
place cutting in sand and keep moist.
Make a bunch of cuttings and next year pull out one cutting to see the progress of the roots.
Thats it easy does it