Maple Syrup Time...

/ Maple Syrup Time... #1  

Lloyd_E

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 Kioti DK 45 sc
I have been wanting to do this for years...

SOooo, the other day I grabbed my young family(children) and headed off to the back woods. We found and tapped 3 maples. Will probably tap more.

So from 2.5-3 gallons we got just over 1 cup. But, man, does it taste great. Lots of flavour,
and really sweet - almost too sweet.

Tomorrow and Friday will be warm... so here's hoping for more.

Lloyd

Attachments

• IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    273.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 95
   / Maple Syrup Time... #2  
Looks good Lloyd:D

I have never done that....but we have talked about doing it.

I have several big maple trees on my property and i will try it this year.

How far in the tree did you tap???

/ Maple Syrup Time...
3/8 to maybe 1/2 or little more.

Picked up the spouts at the Farm co-op. Less than $2 each... probably cheaper down your way.

We checked them every two days... more once the weather warms.

Lots of fun... go for it.

lloyd

PS: if you want to get sophisticated, run lines to 5 gallon pale - fewer trips!
I may do this next year.

/ Maple Syrup Time... #4  
Looks good Lloyd -- my wife and I just got back in with the sap from our eight trees -- we have about 2 quarts of syrup now and should have another quart by tomorrow evening. My wife loves the stuff -- I'd rather drink the sap:eek:.
regards

/ Maple Syrup Time... #5  
OK Thanks!

I'll be sure to try it.

/ Maple Syrup Time... #6  
i really want to try this......thanks for sharing.....

do you take the tap out at the end of the season and then the next year put it in a different hole? after about 4-8 years of tapping, does it hurt the tree?

/ Maple Syrup Time... #7  
Good Evenin Lloyd,
Hey good deal buddy, I tried that as a kid many many years ago and had a ball doing it ! My neighbors have their sugar houses in full swing about now ! :) Sure is tasty ! ;)

/ Maple Syrup Time... #8  
do you take the tap out at the end of the season and then the next year put it in a different hole? after about 4-8 years of tapping, does it hurt the tree?
Yep the tap comes out each year and next year a new hole is drilled -- does not hurt the tree but you won't be using them for veneer logs;)

/ Maple Syrup Time... #9  
Nothing like the taste of home made. :)
More taps next year...yes sir your hook on sugaring. ;)

/ Maple Syrup Time... #10  
Looks good.

Last weekend i was at a local sugar shack in Truro (they didnt have any syrup to sell besides the premium glass bottled stuff 250ml/$10.00 :eek:). They were saying that the sap wasnt running that great but it looks like it is down your way. Hopefully things will improve by this weekend.

The amateur cook in me has to ask where you got that solid copper pan? Id love to get a couple more (if i win the lottery).