Thawing the pipe

/ Thawing the pipe #1  

studor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma 284(Spirit fel), MF 135 (MF200 fel)
Ok -- here is the problem. The suction line from the pitless adapter in the well to my pump is blocked (probably by ice). It is black plastic inch and a quarter tubing and only about 15' long. About 7.5 feet of that 15' is underground and cannot be accessed without really major effort. I can get to the pump end but not the well end and so far have not been able to entirely remove the water in it. Because I don't have running water I also do not have HOT running water available. Other than waiting for the frost to leave the ground (or drinking bourbon straight from the bottle and forgetting about it:rolleyes:) does anybody have an ingenious way to thaw the pipe without damaging it?
Regards
Steve

/ Thawing the pipe
Wait till summer?
I think that is usually when the frost leaves the ground:rolleyes:

/ Thawing the pipe #4  
you could unhook inside the house feed a small hose into the water line running hot water into it till you can push at least 20 ft of hose in thru the pipe
of course your probably going to have to haul water to it and thru the water heater
and if you get it open leave the water running inside till summer or it will just freeze again as soon as you shut it down

probably easier to wait till summer

/ Thawing the pipe #6  
[you could unhook inside the house feed a small hose into the water line running hot water into it till you can push at least 20 ft of hose in thru the pipe /QUOTE]

In the past I have seen that method work.:D

/ Thawing the pipe #7  
Picture would be helpful. Basically you need to deliver heat to the frozen end without heating cubic yards of dirt. I remember reading something about gold mining in Alaska and they drove these steel difusers in the ground and fed it overheated steam to thaw the ground.
The primitive approach to the same problem was big heated rock they would roll to the spot and let sit for a day, than replaced it with a new one. Porbably waiting is the easiest and less risky solution. Would it be possible to drill safely hole in the ground, maybe several - with a masonry bit - and use an electrical heating element from water heater?

/ Thawing the pipe
Thanks for the ideas guys -- my current plan is to put a heat wire inside the pipe as soon as I can get it open so I never have this problem again. The problem is opening the pipe.:( -- running ot of bourbon!

/ Thawing the pipe #9  
Ok -- here is the problem. The suction line from the pitless adapter in the well to my pump is blocked (probably by ice). It is black plastic inch and a quarter tubing and only about 15' long. About 7.5 feet of that 15' is underground and cannot be accessed without really major effort. I can get to the pump end but not the well end and so far have not been able to entirely remove the water in it. Because I don't have running water I also do not have HOT running water available. Other than waiting for the frost to leave the ground (or drinking bourbon straight from the bottle and forgetting about it:rolleyes:) does anybody have an ingenious way to thaw the pipe without damaging it?
Regards
Steve

Do you have an arc welder? Make a loop (use a cable and twist two wires together on one end) of gauge 6 or 8 cooper wire long enough to reach trough the ice plug. Adjust the amps so the wire gets warm enough but wouldn't melt the insulation and push it in the pipe. Use good rubber boots and rubber gloves to insulate yourself from the ground and don't do it alone. I don't think it is too dangerous but as we used to say: "Devil never sleeps." Drink bourbon only after the water is running.

/ Thawing the pipe
Redneck -- I have an old tombstone Lincoln and the thought is ingenious! Do I yell "hey watch this" before I plug it in? I'll have to check my wire supply to see what I have and read a little more before trying it:confused:
regards