Rain Water Harvesting

/ Rain Water Harvesting #1  

TigerfaninAR

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2320 FEL, MMM
Anyone do this? Watched one of those landscape shows and the homeowner decided to put in a 600 gallon cistern under the ground that is filled with rainwater from the roof via the gutters and downspouts. Said a simple pump was used to water the yard/plants when needed.

Don't look that expensive online and could not only use the water in the dry months but also help with water runoff if that was an issue.

/ Rain Water Harvesting #2  
In some parts of Alaska They collect rainwater for household use. :D

/ Rain Water Harvesting #3  
Lots of neighbours in this area collect it in their cisterns and use it as potable water, washing, toilets, etc with filtration. .

Have a good one

/ Rain Water Harvesting #4  
I collect it but not in that large a quantity.

there is an old cistern on my property that used to have the gutters of the house running to it.

I use a smaller 30 gall or so barrel to collect water and use it to water container plants etc. The pets like it much better than the faucet water.

If you put out fresh rain water and fresh faucet water they will always pick the rain water. (what does that tell ya)

In the olden days (when you had a small 20' hand dug well) you would often use the cistern for "grey water" needs. washing clothes, showers, tolets etc.

Once the big house is built i also plan on haveing a large underground cistern to harvest rain water from my standing seam roof.

/ Rain Water Harvesting #5  
When we build in SC, I'm going to have small pond- maybe 10,000 gallon or so, and will use that as a cistern. I'll keep a few fish and plants in it, and use a pump to use some of the water for irrigation. I'll put gutters on the house and barn to collect the water, and drain it into the pond. I've heard you have to be careful if you collect water from a shingle roof, due to the fungicides they put in the granules. My roofs will be metal.

/ Rain Water Harvesting #7  
if you put it on a platform, say about 4' up, you can still use your gutters to fill it and gravity will deliver the water to your garden - no pump needed.

/ Rain Water Harvesting #8  
Very, very common here. Our only water source for all uses. Here at the main house, we collect from 2 roofs that keep 4 poly tanks, each 4k gallons. At the small house, we only fill a 3K poly tank.

David

/ Rain Water Harvesting #9  
Every house within 20 miles of me uses it as their primary water source.

We have two concrete tanks total 17000 Gallons, which overflow into two poly tanks total 24000 Gallons.

The concrete tanks supply all household usage, including drinking. The poly tanks are used for our garden/orchard irrigation.

Summer is our wet season, during which all of these tanks are overflowing. Winter is dry, and we need enough storage capacity to carry us through from june/july through october.

/ Rain Water Harvesting #10  
I collect it but not in that large a quantity.

there is an old cistern on my property that used to have the gutters of the house running to it.

I use a smaller 30 gall or so barrel to collect water and use it to water container plants etc. The pets like it much better than the faucet water.

If you put out fresh rain water and fresh faucet water they will always pick the rain water. (what does that tell ya)

In the olden days (when you had a small 20' hand dug well) you would often use the cistern for "grey water" needs. washing clothes, showers, tolets etc.

Once the big house is built i also plan on haveing a large underground cistern to harvest rain water from my standing seam roof.

I was in Australia few years back and read in local paper about a guy who collects rain water, filters it, bottles it and sels that as bottled water. Forgot the brand name but it was quite catchy something from heaven.