Fire pit project

/ Fire pit project #1  

bhostasa

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2015 HST
Hi everyone. About a month ago I decided that I was going to build a fire pit out by the pond and was on TBN looking for ideas. The weather has started to break (finally!:)) in Ohio and I've spent the last couple of weekends working on it. I thought I'd share some pictures of the progress. I still have some work to do but should be about finished next weekend.

In pics 1-3, I marked out my area and dug a footer about 6" deep. I put steel (1/4" rebar) throughout the footer and some gravel underneath for drainage.

Picture #4 is a steel ring that I had friend weld for me. It's an 1/8" steel ring (6' ID) with a 2" space (that I'll fill with sand to knock down the heat transfer) and then another 1/8" steel ring. I laid a course of 2" block under the steel ring to get the height that I wanted, about 15". I left four different gaps in the 2" course for drainage and air to get to the fire.

After that, I started cutting my 8" solid block (picture #5). I dry fit everything and numbered it (wife's idea to number every block...I hate it when she's right but it was a big help as every block is cut for a specific place) and then began mortaring everything in. I've got a 4" air space between the outside steel ring and the 8" block all the way around to keep the heat from breaking the mortar.

I'm taking the wife to the builder's supply store on Friday so she can pick out the capstones and exterior stone that she wants. After that, I need to fill the center with river rock for drainage, fill the steel ring space with sand, and cut out the cross bars that are in the ring to help it keep it's shape. I'll use the FEL to peel an area around the fire pit to fill with gravel for chairs.

I'm pretty worn out right now but am happy with the progress so far. Hopefully it turns out okay and the time spent relaxing next to it will outweight the labor to build it.:eek:

Attachments

• Firepit 001.jpg
    Firepit 001.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 348
  • Firepit 003.jpg
    Firepit 003.jpg
    1,017.3 KB · Views: 434
  • DSCF0775.jpg
    DSCF0775.jpg
    1,008.7 KB · Views: 518
  • DSCF0777.jpg
    DSCF0777.jpg
    985.3 KB · Views: 332
  • DSCF0801.jpg
    DSCF0801.jpg
    995 KB · Views: 696
  • DSCF0804.jpg
    DSCF0804.jpg
    717.7 KB · Views: 507
  • DSCF0803.jpg
    DSCF0803.jpg
    774.6 KB · Views: 646
   / Fire pit project #4  
Gee, that's really nice. We just dug a depression and lined it with big rocks. I did weld up a nice cooking grate though. We call it the liars pit, as tall tale sometimes get spun out there. You just can't beat a nice fire, some adult beverages, good conversation, and watching the stars come out. We are getting back to it now that our snow is starting to go away.

Last edited:
   / Fire pit project #5  
Very nice pit. I like the welded center rings. I've seen similar at some parks in Michigan. Makes the pit I bought from Box Store not so hot.. :D

Wedge

/ Fire pit project #6  
Looks great! :)

/ Fire pit project
Gee, that's really nice. We just dug a depression and lined it with big rocks. I did weld up a nice cooking grate though. We call it the liars pit, as tall tale sometimes get spun out there. You just can't beat a nice fire, some adult beverages, good conversation, and watching the stars come out. We are getting back to it now that our snow is starting to go away.

"The liars pit"...that's pretty good. I've been thinking about how I'm going to add a post/grate for cooking. I was thinking about welding a 2" piece of tubing to the steel ring and drilling a hole through it for a set screw. Then I could put my post/grate inside the tubing when I wanted to cook and remove it when it wasn't being used.

Is that similar to your set up?

/ Fire pit project #8  
pretty awesome dog. I've got an english BD, named Rupert, he's 55 lbs

/ Fire pit project #9  
I just got a 4 foot by 2 foot piece of very heavy expanded metal. (looks like it started out as 3/8 or so) and welded up a frame with legs out of angle. It just sits on the legs. I did it that way so I could carry it to other places if need be.

/ Fire pit project
pretty awesome dog. I've got an english BD, named Rupert, he's 55 lbs

That's my little brother and his dog in that picture. He just got Ivan a couple of weeks ago. Ivan spent that day laying in the shade watching my two beagles run around like maniacs.

He's a very laid back dog...