Plants that repel mosquitoes

/ Plants that repel mosquitoes #1  

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
The wife and I have been looking at trying plants around the porch that supposedly repel mosquitoes, such as, Catnip,marigolds,rosemary.

Has any one done this? it may be a bigger PITA or may not even work, like the infamous "bug zapper" ripoff.

just kicking around the idea before this years "brood" becomes alien.

/ Plants that repel mosquitoes #2  
Wow! really? Rosemary grows like a weed here in the NW and so do skeeters so if I could repel them then I'd be happy.

/ Plants that repel mosquitoes #3  
Man if you can do anything about the Super Skeetters around here you're good.
I mean skeeter with a Capital S on it's chest.

/ Plants that repel mosquitoes #4  
I once read a little article about how the pioneers around here had some kind of plants around their homes for mosquitoes...and would rub the leaves on themselves from this plant too. Supposedly a repellent. Somehow I have lost or misplaced the article long ago. :rolleyes: so....maybe googling for it??

/ Plants that repel mosquitoes #5  
there are several plants that repel skeeters. there are ACTUAL mosquito plants that are raised for this as well. they are in the Geranium family and these also work along with catnip all with varying results. some say tomatoes will also help keep em away some...

mark

/ Plants that repel mosquitoes #6  
Venus fly trap? :D

Attachments

• venus_fly_trap.jpg
    venus_fly_trap.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 3,549
   / Plants that repel mosquitoes #7  
Rumor has it tobacco helps with this. Toads, tree and barn swallows and bats are recommended, too.

I just bought some tobacco seed and want to put it around the house for landscaping and occasional other uses.

/ Plants that repel mosquitoes #9  
Not sure what kind of out buildings you have, if any. But I would look into getting some bats around the house. I had an old barn that had a huge nest of them. Never had one mosquito bite till I tore the barn down and the bats moved. I plan on building a few bat houses sometime.

Wedge

/ Plants that repel mosquitoes
Already in the Bat house building phase. I live 100' from a slow creek so to get enough bats I probably will have to get a cave. (kidding)
I don't want to use chemicals because of the broad impact. all the plants I listed in the beginning are supposed to also be used as a "rub" on too. I am just skeptical they even work.

The skeeters we have here are small, unlike some I've seen further north, but,, even as small as they are I think they have technology superior to our military!