Help! I need legal advice re: easements

/ Help! I need legal advice re: easements
MarkV- B21 is just fine, perhaps a little upset as I had to leave her outside a bit to work in the barn on my newfound welding hobby.

riptides - yes I have actually considered something like a book if I knew anything about that biz. Maybe i'll get a % from the "best of tractorbynet"

Kyle i tex - I have considered cameras all over my property (like they have) but then I think it would just make me paranoid, concerned - always checking the video, etc... I assume thats the life they have created for themselves and they certainly deserve it.

MossRoad - yeah I am still trying to take the high road, although it was quite a shock to my naive self when that didn't get me thru all that stuff in the beginning. But I don't really deal with them or even think about it much lately unless they jump up on my radar.:thumbsup:

/ Help! I need legal advice re: easements #502  
Glad you're back. I wondered what happened to you and how you were making out.
Oh the stories I could tell about my world that is similar to yours...

Take the high road... I did and still do and it has paid off a bit but there is a lot of pain there...

lloyd

PS: don't be a stranger!

/ Help! I need legal advice re: easements #503  
I agree take the high road, but carry a big stick, camera, tape recorder, whatever.

I have one of thosed discontinued roads and I put up a gate, turned out the courts felt I had no right putting a gate on my own property, so 14K later the gate is down and now anyone can cross over my property on a road that was discontiued for over 100 years. Lawyers and judges sometimes are lower than whale pee.

/ Help! I need legal advice re: easements #504  
Came across this thread today and read most of the posts. Feel for you. We went through an easement situation between Weyerhaeuser and ourselves about 10 years ago. Our public? (now private) road goes thru their adjoining 200 acres. Always thought the road public but in the end because of legal costs, we settled for an easement rather than fight them in court to declare the road public to our property. Cost us lots of money to even get the easement but they have much more money than we ever will. Lots more to this story but don't have hours and hours to write it. Now two neighbors are also in a situation that they have a yearly license to use the road, not necessarily renewable and is also subject to a 30 day notice of cancellation of the license. So if they go to sell their home who would buy it? There is public access (on paper, not built) to the two properties but they would have to build the road and put in a bridge, built to government standards, over a large gully with fish bearing creek. Government will not pay for this so they would have too, maybe $200,000.-$300,000. or more. Wish you all the best mdbarb

/ Help! I need legal advice re: easements #505  
Here, you can petition the town to have the old right of way for an abandoned road (or even an existing unused road) transferred to you. It works well unless a neighbor complains.

Ken

/ Help! I need legal advice re: easements #506  
I read this saga, all 50 some odd pages of it. Because of it, last year I pursued getting my neighbor to move his fence 8 feet off of my property and had my other neighbor present when the surveryor showed him his property line was ten feet closer to his house than he thought. I kind of felt bad pissing off 2 neighbors but now I am glad I did it. After all, it is my land that I'm paying taxes on.

/ Help! I need legal advice re: easements #507  
Good to hear an update, but sad to hear it's still a sucky situation.

I might have already posted this, but in case I didn't I wanted to thank you for this thread.

My brother came out here last year to find some land to buy and raise a few cows. He found several properties that were very tempting, but had easements going through other properties to get to them. The realtors were only telling him the good stories about the easements and how the agreements were "SUPPOSED" to be. I told him about this thread and some of the other horror stories about what happens when nobody does what they are supposed to do, and he's stuck with an impossible road to drive through, or an entire list of problems that can come up over the years. The biggest concern is that nobody can read the future, and if he doesn't own the access to his place, or it's not on a public road, it doesn't matter how cheap the land is, it's not worth having. While some will disagree with this, I think that if you are buying, it's not worth taking that sort of gamble. In the end, he found a great deal on 40 acres n a county road that has proven to be better then he had hoped for.

Eddie

/ Help! I need legal advice re: easements #508  
Wow I spent like 4 hours reading this and I am shocked of what the outcome was. How is everything now mdbarb?

/ Help! I need legal advice re: easements #509  
Just saw this one myself. This was a terrible decision and a travesty. The OP's great character shines true thru this entire ordeal. Too bad you aren't my neighbor, we would get along great!

You would have been better off shooting the guy and burying him in your marsh.

"Officer, he went for a walk and never came back. Those tides can be dangerous.":D

Last edited:
   / Help! I need legal advice re: easements #510  
I think of this thread whenever I have or hear of a property line dispute/issue. So some good has come out of MBarb's dispute.

Later,
Dan