Ford Truck & Trailer Wiring

/ Ford Truck & Trailer Wiring #1  

Lloyd_E

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 Kioti DK 45 sc
Thought I would try you guys before heading off to ford site.

Went to use the trailer for the first time this season.

All the lights (and trailer brakes) worked except for driver's side trailer blinker. (2002 Ford f150 super cab.)

Went to our destination, loaded trailer. Thought I would try to fix before returning home.
Pulled wires from truck plug and trailer plug. Trailer plug fine, truck plug corroded. When I tried to pull 7 wire plug from socket under the truck bumper I arced plug. Replaced fuse - running lights now do not work on truck and trailer. Left unplugged and drove home successfully without accident or police pulling me over - not the best thing to do but...

I replaced both trailer plug and truck receiver plug tonight - always keep extra on hand - 7 wire plug. I pulled and check fuses one by one. Everything works except for running lights on trailer and daytime lights on truck. When the trailer is not plugged to truck the daytime running lights on the truck do not work - everything else does, blinkers, brake lights etc. Electric brakes on trailer work too when plugged to truck.

I know I am missing something - checked every fuse - all good. Is there another fuse or relay I should look at on the truck to correct the daytime running light problem. I figure if I correct the running light problem on the truck the trailer running lights will work too.

Any guidance would be really appreciated. I wrote wiring schematic down from old plugs/receiver & trailer/truck before changing. I replaced signal bulb just in case it was bad. Everything worked last fall when hauling...

Thanks

lloyd

/ Ford Truck & Trailer Wiring #2  
I don't know about Fords but my Dodge has 2 different fuse boxes. The one for the tail lights was under the hood not under the dash.

/ Ford Truck & Trailer Wiring
Thanks Uncle and Robert.

I will check this today and report back...

lloyd

/ Ford Truck & Trailer Wiring #5  
The joys of trailer wiring. I seem to go through the same types of problems every spring with my trailer. Usually the problems lie with corrosion of connections by the back bumper.:(

On my 96 Dodge there is a separate relay under the hood for the daytime running lights.

You can get the plug wiring details off the net Lloyd.

There is a fellow at Bluenose RV thats very good with trailer wiring and all that is involved. He fixes my wiring corrosion problems every few years.:D

/ Ford Truck & Trailer Wiring
I have been warned by many trailer owners that this is an annual thing - I hate it. I have no patience for electrical stuff or when stuff fails.

What I did find this morning was a couple of blown fuses - so I am back to square one with no signal light. I will check to see if I am getting power to plug on truck and or power to light on trailer.

So far though I have extended the harness on the truck, put new plugs on the trailer and truck, purchase a few extra bulbs to have in the truck... all which I wanted to do - and learned where the extra fuse box is!!!!

So tonight I will look further into the problem.

lloyd

PS: my plan for this winter is to somehow take the plug unit off bumper and seal it in many layers of plastic bags and tuck it up into the truck box under the cap and out off the weather - so next spring I can just plug it in and go! :) :) :)

/ Ford Truck & Trailer Wiring #8  
Don't worry Lloyd, that good old calcium chloride will find it's way through and around over the winter!:D

/ Ford Truck & Trailer Wiring #9  
Glad you found the other fuse box. I looked for mine for a week before finding the 2nd one under the hood with a plastic panel over it. Carry a box of fuses with me now. I did replace the wiring harness on the lowboy trailer that seemed to keep giving me problems. Re-routed the wires a little also as they had come out of the frame real close to the tounge and kept getting cut.

/ Ford Truck & Trailer Wiring #10  
Pack the plug with stiff grease..

soundguy