Creating my Pasture

/ Creating my Pasture #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I've been working on this for years. It started out as a heavily wooded area. I took out the trees and graded out the ground. The grass came in naturally and for the last few years, I've been mowing it a few times a year. It gets better and better looking, but it's still full of weeds. I got my applicators license last week, so now I can buy the good chemicals for taking care of the weeds.

That was the easy part.

Since then, I've been moving dirt. There were two issues with this area, and both were too much dirt. In one area, I had a hill that I wanted removed. It was very steep and sent my water runoff from the rains the wrong direction. The other area was a long, low hill that also sent the water runoff from the rains in the wrong direction. I took care of the steep hill first. While there is still more of it left, I have enough removed to move over to the other area.

I started this by digging a ditch through the low hill to send water to my large pond, Lake Marabou. The ditch worked great at increasing the amount of water that Lake Marabou received, but it looked ugly. I've been removing the soil along the sides of the ditch to make it look natural. Then I've been pushing that soil with my dozer to level off the land for some building pads. The farther out I pushed the soil, the less effective the dozer became.

Then I started digging and hauling the dirt with the dump truck over the weekend. That's where I'm at right now. Digging and hauling. The entire area is about ten acres. In some of the pictures, you can see the grass that has been growing for a few years now, and the dirt that I've been working. In the background of one picture, you can see Fort Peyton, which is my deer blind and a project that I finished earlier this year.

One of the biggest problems with hauling dirt this time of the year is the moisture content of the dirt. It becomes like glue when it's wet and it sticks to everything. Then it just builds up and gets worse and worse. One of my biggest struggles is just getting the soil out of the bucket and then out of the dump truck. Last year, I heard about a paint called Hammerite. It's a paint that is used on rusted metal to seal in the rust and give the metal a smooth finish. I used it last year with fantastic results. My dump truck bed is very rusted and was holding allot of material. After applying the Hammerite paint, it was night and day how much better the wet clay came out of the bed. Last week, I did this again. The paint is $75 a gallon, and it takes about 3/4 of a gallon to do my five yard dump truck. I pressure washed the bed and applied the paint after it was dry. It went on fine, but the next day,it felt kind of rubbery. Last time, it was hard and glass like. It reminded me of slag. I'm not sure if it's because I put on a second layer, or if it wasn't hot enough for it to dry properly. It was in the mid 70's, which should have been fine. Either way, it didn't work out so good this time and I've been fighting the sticking clay to the bed. I get about 6 or 7 loads and have to use the shovel to clean off the bed while it's tilted up to clean off the sticking clay. If I let it go longer, it just builds up and I have a yard or more of clay stuck to the dump bed. If I load dry clay, it slides right out. I was also trying to dig dryer clay for the bottom of the load and then topping it off with the wetter stuff. That helped, but I never got over ten loads without having to shovel the bed clean.

There is about 460 yards in the picture before I started grading it out with the dozer. I still need about twice that much to finish off the area I'm building up, which I hope is what I have left in the area I'm digging. The moisture in the soil is great for compaction, but a challenge to spread. I spent a few hours on it before dark, but will have to spend allot more time to get it right. I still have allot more dirt to haul, so it's not that big a deal to have it perfect just yet. I'm also eyeballing my grade, so that will also have to be checked with the laser level.

Eddie

Attachments

• Food Plot 24 April 09 012 (Small).jpg
    Food Plot 24 April 09 012 (Small).jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 870
  • Food Plot 24 April 09 018 (Small).jpg
    Food Plot 24 April 09 018 (Small).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 696
  • Food Plot 24 April 09 020 (Small).jpg
    Food Plot 24 April 09 020 (Small).jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 402
  • Food Plot 24 April 09 022 (Small).jpg
    Food Plot 24 April 09 022 (Small).jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 682
  • Food Plot 24 April 09 004 (Small).jpg
    Food Plot 24 April 09 004 (Small).jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 373
  • Food Plot 24 April 09 072 (Small).jpg
    Food Plot 24 April 09 072 (Small).jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 527
  • Food Plot 24 April 09 071 (Small).jpg
    Food Plot 24 April 09 071 (Small).jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 538
  • Food Plot 24 April 09 067 (Small).jpg
    Food Plot 24 April 09 067 (Small).jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 435
  • Food Plot 24 April 09 066 (Small).jpg
    Food Plot 24 April 09 066 (Small).jpg
    60 KB · Views: 506
   / Creating my Pasture #2  
Looks great so far Eddie , I,m Curious as to why You dont use the backhoe to scrape the bed out , Much Quicker then a shovel & easier on Your back. Looking forward to the Progress . Bob

/ Creating my Pasture #3  
Eddie, your dirt sure is red. When Kathy and I were over that way a couple of weeks ago, we couldn't help but notice just how red the soil is there compared to most of ours. If it is that red here, it means it's sticky gumbo when it gets wet. You sure are making nice progress on your pasture.:) Have you had any problems with rain and erosion? You may have to plant something just to keep everything where you put it. I envy you the dozer for spreading dirt; although, my tractor does a good job too.

I'm about to finish hauling topsoil and sand to my garden area. Yesterday, I hauled 6 more loads and Kathy took some pictures. I'm getting about 5-1/2 yards per load I think. So far, my trailer dumps clean with only a couple of square feet of dirt sticking in the bed.

Attachments

• Dumpfull.jpg
    Dumpfull.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 479
  • dumping-1.jpg
    dumping-1.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 327
  • dumping-2.jpg
    dumping-2.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 281
   / Creating my Pasture #4  
Eddie, how much to borrow your dump truck?

/ Creating my Pasture #5  
Eddie- I used to haul some of that black gumbo up in Dallas. I kept some dry topsoil in a pile and would put a half a bucket in the nose of the trailer before loading the sticky stuff. It helped when I dumped it.
I also burned or drilled about 1 1/2" in the back corners of the loader bucket so when I dumped, it broke the suction and most of it would slide right out.

/ Creating my Pasture
Cowboy,

I have used the backhoe to scrap the bed, but it means walking back to get the backhoe and then driving it back to the dump truck. The teeth on the bucket make it impossible to get a really good cleaning, so I can just sort of get most of it that way. I then have to finish it up with the shovel even after using the backhoe. Believe me, I'm all for easiest way possible, but over time and thousands of yards of dirt, getting it with the shovel as soon as it starts to stick is the best and fastest way to keep moving that I've dome up with. What I really should do is just wait for it to dry out and then move dirt then, but that's really not an option.

Hi Jim,

You didn't mention what part of East Texas you and Kathy went to. Were you close to here? Hope you know that you guys are always welcome to stop by, and I'd welcome the visit.

Most of my soil is red, but some areas are redder then others. This particular area that I'm digging right now is extremely red!!! There is also a layer of yellow clay. This stuff is like super glue. It just sticks to everything. It holds water forever and is just miserable to work with. I'm mixing the two colors together and hoping for the best. My guess is that when it dries out, it will be very, very hard.

I do envy you and your dark loaming soil. I have a small garden going and trying to get this red soil to grow anything is a real challenge. It seems like the only things that want to grow here are pines and sweet gums!!!!

mgamber,

I paid $3,000 for the dump truck and will gladly rent it to you for that amount. You can even keep it as long as you want!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary,

I know where Hawkins is !!!!!!!!!! Hope we don't know any of the same people. The guys I know out that way are all contractors that would rather gamble and drink then show up for work and earn money.

I'm trying to find dry dirt to put down first, but it's just not working out. If I can find it, I'd probably get half a dozen more loads a day. It is what it is and I'll just have to deal with it and keep on moving.

Eddie

/ Creating my Pasture
Peyton is 8 years old and he likes to come out with me when I'm on the tractor or just about doing anything on the land. He'll spend time helping me work the controls, or just wonder off to play in the dirt. One of the things he loves to do best is build dirt men (kind of like snow men) and have me drive over them with the dozer. He gets a huge thrill out of seeing them destroyed. Anyway, I like to give him my camera and let him take pictures of anything he wants. He takes pictures that I would never think of, and I find them interesting. Most of them are blurry and some are have too much zoom to know what they are of. But then some are just perfect!! :)

Eddie

Attachments

• Food Plot 24 April 09 061 (Small).jpg
    Food Plot 24 April 09 061 (Small).jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 444
  • Food Plot 24 April 09 046 (Small).jpg
    Food Plot 24 April 09 046 (Small).jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 332
  • Food Plot 24 April 09 034 (Small).jpg
    Food Plot 24 April 09 034 (Small).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 349
  • Food Plot 24 April 09 054 (Small).jpg
    Food Plot 24 April 09 054 (Small).jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 316
  • Food Plot 24 April 09 063 (Small).jpg
    Food Plot 24 April 09 063 (Small).jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 329
   / Creating my Pasture #8  
Peyton is 8 years old

I have been reading your lake thread and can't believe how fast he is growing up, he is just about the age where he is just as much a "friend" as a son, my oldest grand son is 12 and I consider him my best friend, he just spent a week helping me out with barn chores

Tom in Vermont

/ Creating my Pasture #9  
Eddie, I am always amazed by your vision. You tackle things I wouldn't dream of, and create remarkably beautiful places. I'm sure this will be another one. Peyton does some good work with that camera! I hope we get to see a lot more of it. Still waiting for pics of you mowing on the Wildcat. I looked at one at my dealer last week. They want almost 10K for it. Seems like you got a good deal. All the best, Brian

/ Creating my Pasture
Brian,

Thank you. I've been lucky in how some of my projects have turned out. I'm hopeful that this one will be something that I'll be proud of and able to look at the rest of my life without any regrets. It's still too early to tell if I got it right or not, but I've already redone parts of it several times.

Today, I hauled 9 loads of dirt when I heard a loud snap. I dumped my load and inspected the dump truck. Something wasn't right, but it took me a minute to realize the rear axle was at an angle. I broke my drivers side, rear leaf spring. I took it off and will go find another this week.

Eddie