keeping Deer out of my garden

/ keeping Deer out of my garden #21  
I don't have my fence up yet because I haven't been able to till the half of my garden that's not yet raised beds. Planted 32 peppers in a raised bed yesterday and this morning I found deer tracks right down the middle of that bed. Didn't touch a single pepper with teeth or hooves.....right well behaved deer!

I'm still gonna fence as soon as I get the tilling done.

Chuck

/ keeping Deer out of my garden #22  
Electric fence works for me.

Attachments

• DSCF0340.JPG
    DSCF0340.JPG
    331.5 KB · Views: 2,522
   / keeping Deer out of my garden #23  
Deer hate sudden movement and sounds that are unnatural. How about Billy the Bigmouth Bass? It has movement when sensor is trigger and some sound as he sings or talks. My neighbor gave me a bear that does same thing as Billy, sings ZZTop, cracks jokes, and his mouth opens and closes when he talks. Just keep batteries fresh.

Man my lab hates that hing when it is out. It looks like bear skin rug and it scares the stew out of him when it talks. Barks his darn head off! LOL

Marty

/ keeping Deer out of my garden #24  
My wife bought some electric deer shockers (poles) that have an attractant scent on them.. It is suppose to lure the deer in from the scent and then they get a shock and learn to stay away

Here is a link

Wireless Deer Fence™ Deer Repellent Deer Control

I searched for reviews online and didnt find anything terribly bad.. They do have a 1 yr return policy, so we will see how they work

Brian

/ keeping Deer out of my garden #25  
I've had evil dreams about setting cameras to watch some of those shocker poles. After losing as many trees and shrubs as I have, and having to fence any tree I want to keep, I find myself counting dead deer along the road with something like glee. If I was Catholic I'd have to confess to something or other.

Chuck

/ keeping Deer out of my garden
A lot of good responses, I was considering a motion sensor/sprinkler or the scented shocker. Adding PVC pipe extenders to the existing T-posts/electric fence is easy enough. Even have several sections of pipe laying around. Beats trying to find a 10' T-post :)

We have 28 acres and ~8 of that is wooded with creek at the bottom. We have tons of deer, coon, turkey etc.. Even had a mountain lion walk up on the poarch one time! I kinda wished it would have hung around to eat the deer. Hmmm....better be careful what I wish for :-O

The other problem we have is trying to get planted trees to grow. If the deer don't rub them to death they eat the tops off or break them in half. We have lost more trees than I care to count. May just have to get an outdoor dog to keep them away.

/ keeping Deer out of my garden #27  
...I shudder to think how we would be overrun without the radio noise (PBS or moldy oldies rock and roll.)

You just need to upgrade your listening to C&W.

/ keeping Deer out of my garden #28  
CTyler,

I guess there are ways to protect trees from deer that are less trouble and expense, but I put a five foot circle of five foot welded wire around every fruit and nut tree I want to keep Bambi from ruining. Liquid Fence works, as some other repellents probably do, but you have to remember to keep spraying, and a desperate deer would probably ignore it anyway. When my trees are big enough that a deer is unlikely to kill them or turn them into shrubs, I take off the fence and then wrap the trunk in wire to keep them from being rubbed. Eventually I take off the trunk wrap when the tree is less of a rubbing target or big enough to take a little rubbing. I have at least as much money in fence and t-posts as I do in trees.

A few years ago, I planted about 25 each of black walnut and pecan seedlings from the conservation department. I figured deer would get some of the pecans but would probably leave the black walnut alone. There are none of those trees left. When they were all either gone or becoming shrubs, I turned that field back to hay.

Chuck

/ keeping Deer out of my garden #29  
...I shudder to think how we would be overrun without the radio noise (PBS or moldy oldies rock and roll.)

You just need to upgrade your listening to C&W.

If there was C&W playing in my garden, I'd shoot myself and leave the deer to eat the veggies.:D:D

Please notice smilies (no offense intended to any of our Country Music listening aficionados) (But I'd still shoot myself:p)

Mark

/ keeping Deer out of my garden #30  
I use 4 foot high woven wire fence and also have 5" plastic insulator standouts for electric wire fence. Place aluminum foil with peanut butteron the foil on the wire then turn on the electric. Deer get trained in a hurry. One strand is looooow so groundhogs, rabbits etc. get a jolt if they try to enter. So far no problems. I have a TSC charger that uses 4 "D" cell batteries. Well as men will do I had to try it. Just the back of a finger with work boots and a very slight tingle. One morning in wet grass and worn out tennis shoes I tried to reattach an insulator to a tee post. :eek: I'm no electrician but that d&#n thing takes volts and amps and turns them into hurts real quick. :(:D