snake zapper for my partner?

/ snake zapper for my partner? #1  

cisco

Platinum Member
Tractor
L3410
OK, lots of new birds/squirrels/mice/etc being kicked, or wandering, out of nests in my area of SC, and so the snakes are ranging beyond their usual sheltered habitats. My wife isn't real fond of snakes, especially those with triangular heads (usually poisonous), and would like to dispatch any she comes across while wandering around the property - 2 today. My usual stuff is not appropriate for her, or this task, as the dispatcher of choice needs to be fairly light (weight, recoil) and real easy to hit something with. Say in the 20 gauge (max) to 410 range. Anyone have favorable experience with something more or less idiot proof (say, a single shot) that's essentially point and shoot, and if it doesn't hit something it won't wake up the whole county or send lead a mile away? Forget about a 22, as she'd never hit anything more than a few feet away.
Don't take this wrong - I adore my wife and I'd like to help her zap the snakes that bother her beloved bird nests, but I definately wouldn't want her to hurt herself, or anyone else in the vicinity - so, grenades are out, too. Maybe a long pole to beat snakes over the head with.......
Anyhow, single shot shotgun advice appreciated.

/ snake zapper for my partner? #2  
Probably the best gun to carry that is small is a multicartridge pistol. They shoot 45LC (Long Colt) or 410 shot gun shells. They meet BATF regulations for short barrel shot guns because they are not considered shot guns since they have a rifled barrel. Taurus and a couple of other manufacturers make them. It's a great way to get shotgun performance for close up work in a easy to carry package. Check with most any good gun store, most everyone carries them now.

/ snake zapper for my partner? #4  
As I read this post, I'm sitting here with a .357 S&W 686 resting on the table beside me. The first 2 shots up are CCI shot shells in .38 spl. That's what I usually carry as I go around the place, especially back in the woods. My fall back gun, which is actually my wife's gun, is a Browning B-80 semi-auto in 20 gauge. That's used for snakes, squirrels, 'dillos, etc. It's as much gun as my wife can safely handle but it'll take out snakes at a safe distance and it's still fairly manageable.

/ snake zapper for my partner? #5  
   / snake zapper for my partner? #6  
A 22 Revolver would Probablly Work the best for Your wife, Loaded with Snake shot, They work Quite well IMO , Much more Expensive then 22 long Rifle but well worth it IMO , My Wife has a Bolt action old 20 Guage she Likes For bigger Vermin , But the 22 works Great for snakes . :D , Bob

/ snake zapper for my partner? #7  
If she is not into firearms she can get her a long handle hoe to carry around the place with her. Take the grinder and put a better edge on the blade. She can then reach out and touch someone.

/ snake zapper for my partner? #8  
A pistol is easier to carry around, especially with a holster, but they do take some training and practice to use efficiently. I was trained in the Marine Corps and consider myself average with a pistol. It takes allot of shooting to be good. Even with snake shot, it's pretty easy to miss.

While I have snake shot for my .44 mag, I have an older New England Arms 410 single shot that is ideal for snakes. It's very light, easy to carry and accurate. Pretty much, just point and shoot. The 410 is such a light load that my 8 year old can handle it and think it's fun.

Put a sling on it and it's out of the way. I don't keep any shells in mine because it is a single shot and I never trust the safety. It takes a second to put a shell into it, but that's never been an issue. I can load it and fire it with plenty of time to take care of the problem.

I bought that shotgun from K Mart 20 years ago for $60. I don't know if they are still around or not, but for a cheapy shotgun, it's been a pretty good gun.

Eddie

/ snake zapper for my partner? #9  
If she is not into firearms she can get her a long handle hoe to carry around the place with her. Take the grinder and put a better edge on the blade. She can then reach out and touch someone.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Works great. Push up against snake and push down hard. Or just whack the heck out of it.