Garden Starting to Grow

/ Garden Starting to Grow #1  

hunterridgefarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277
This is a busy time of year at work and getting things in the ground at home. Snaped a few pics this afternoon of the garden.

First 3 pics are of potatoes and a row of pear trees. I wanted to plant an acre of potatoes but was talked out of it.

Pic 4 is greenbeans, okra, tomatoes, and the new disc area is watermelon. Also have cucumbers, squash, peas anda couple of other things started.

Pic 5 is me thinking about what I need to put out this weekend. Then won't have to plant anything until time to put out pumpkins in June.

Pic 6 is soy beans I planted at the end of the field for the deer. Maybe they will eat those and not my greenbeans.

I've not have much problem with the deer this year,,so far:(,, use some different things this year to try and keep them away. My biggest problem is the crows. They pull all my corn up, I planted a couple of pounds and they got it all:mad:. I am going to plant one more time and hopefully I can get a shot at them Saturday, kill a couple, and hang them in the garden:cool:

So what do you have growing??

Attachments

• 100_0859.jpg
    100_0859.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 221
  • 100_0860.jpg
    100_0860.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 188
  • 100_0861.jpg
    100_0861.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 189
  • 100_0862.jpg
    100_0862.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 100_0863.jpg
    100_0863.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 220
  • 100_0864.jpg
    100_0864.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 184
   / Garden Starting to Grow #2  
We can't even get enough dry days to hardly mow the lawns let alone get into the fields here in central IL...

/ Garden Starting to Grow #3  
It has been colder than a mother-in-laws kiss here. I planted corn and it took it almost 14 days to germinate and come through the ground. Then it warmed up so I planted most everything else....and it turned cold again.

Hopefully it will warm up now and get to growing.

/ Garden Starting to Grow #4  
Who talked you out of the acre of potatoes? Just finished planting mine yesterday, about 11/4 acres. Let the games begin...LOL

/ Garden Starting to Grow
KB, ITs been wet here for the last two weeks. But my field drains good and if we go a couple of days with no rain I can get a couple of things in the ground.

Warren, about the time my corn poked thru the ground the crows pulled it out!

Wayne,

My wife talked me out of the acre of potatoes. Since we had never planted them at this field and were unsure about the deer this year we decided to plant only 100#. But we cut the 100# so I was able to get a couple extra rows.

I just look closer at these pictures. My wife took them and I noticed you can't see a lot of what is growing:eek:. I'll try to get some better pics.

/ Garden Starting to Grow #6  
You're definitely a few weeks ahead of us here in Ohio. I've got some stuff out that can handle the frost (radishes, spinach, lettuce, peas, etc). Will be transplanting tomatoes and peppers this weekend. Low temperature Sunday AM is supposed to hit 38 degrees. That'll more than likely mean frost in the country. Should've had the corn in the ground last week, I'll get her in today though.

Good luck with the deer. I've got a mess of them here too, but they haven't caused any trouble yet. Keeping my fingers crossed:rolleyes:

Mark

/ Garden Starting to Grow #8  
Warren, about the time my corn poked thru the ground the crows pulled it out!

I despise crows and magpies. I consider them rats with wings. I can tell you how you can stop them from eating your corn....an ounce of lead in their left ear. You put it in with a 22 rifle......or if your like me and can't hit the broadside of a barn standing next to it....a 410....but then that would be more than an ounce of lead....:D:D:D

Also, don't believe all those who tell you to plant more potato's. By the time you dig and pick up all of those taters....you will thank your wife for talking you out of it. That of course is assuming that you will be harvesting by hand. :)

/ Garden Starting to Grow #9  
Cucumbers are comin' !! Tomatoes too.
My potato crop mostly failed after 12 inches of rain in a week and a half.

Attachments

• 000_0691.jpg
    000_0691.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 171
  • 000_0692.jpg
    000_0692.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 159
   / Garden Starting to Grow #10  
We got a good jump on our corn planting around the first of March. Some a week earlier. I guess we have a couple of hundred stalks that flood did not flatten. Most are 2-3 foot tall with ears starting to form. The days here are in the mid to high 80's so every thing is growing good.

We are getting about a gallon of green beans every other day. Our late planting of green beens will be ready to pick next week. Been picking jalipino peppers for about 2 weeks. Picked about 10 giant bell peppers this week also. Squash looks good with lots of blooms and a few small squash, same for the okra. The watermelon and cantalope were only planted about 2 weeks ago but is growing good.

Cucumbers are slow this year also but have picked a few large ones this week. Tomotoes look good with lots of small ones. Spent about an hour after work watering every thing real good.

And our lemon bush has about 10 small lemons for the first time since planting 3 years ago.

Need to get a few photos soon.