Anybody know what kind of bug this is?

/ Anybody know what kind of bug this is? #1  

waldersha

Tractor
1955 Ferguson TO-35
We have bunches of these around right now. They are flying insects of some kind. Look like a big mosquito, but they don't bite. They seem to be cleaning up the June bug population a bit, or at least the dead ones. Just kind of curious.

Attachments

• insect.jpg
    insect.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 441
   / Anybody know what kind of bug this is? #3  
Thats not a bug,be afraid,very afraid.

/ Anybody know what kind of bug this is? #4  
Try enature.com advanced search. There you can describe the bug and where you found it. It will give you a list of bugs with pictures.
Worked pretty good for me in the past.

/ Anybody know what kind of bug this is? #6  
Looks like the same dreaded bug that bit Gilligan on Gilligan's Island and there was no known antidote for the poison.

/ Anybody know what kind of bug this is? #7  
We have them around here also. There seems to be more of them around during the years we have beans planted. I have seen them rob flys out of spider webs and suck the juice out of them.

/ Anybody know what kind of bug this is?
We have them around here also. There seems to be more of them around during the years we have beans planted. I have seen them rob flys out of spider webs and suck the juice out of them.

Well at least I know I'm not alone then. :)

Thanks to all for the responses. Even the funny ones, I needed a laugh today. Nothing mentioned is quite it, of course I missed that episode of Gilligan's Island, so it could be that one. :) My wife has called in the heavy hitters. Her aunt just retired from the vet school here and she says she knows some "bug people" there. I'll let you know if I come up with anything different.

/ Anybody know what kind of bug this is? #9  
Hi,
We have a lot of those this time of year in northeast Texas. I've heard them called mosquito killers, but I think the earlier description of ichneumon wasp might be more accurate. You're right, they don't sting.
Butch

/ Anybody know what kind of bug this is? #10  
It could be a Type of Crane fly , Dont look Quite like the Ones we have But There big & Dont bite. Bob Crane Fly