I can't go Green, and this is why:

/ I can't go Green, and this is why: #1  

MotorSeven

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SE Hydro
I have a pond that needs water pumped from the creek 150' away. I have a house not yet built that I would like to be off grid.
I have em'd several solar companies for quotes on both of the above. Many don't even respond(I guess the economy is so good, that they do not need any business).

Those that did:

$5K to sell me a pump and solar panel to pump water 150' with a 6' rise(equip only)

$28K to get a grid tied system for a 1500' sq ft house on a full basement.

I'm just a retired guy that does not have that kind of money laying around. I guess going "green" is only for those with lots of disposable income.

Sorry if I sound a little bitter, but it is a lesson in reality.

RD

/ I can't go Green, and this is why: #2  
I feel your pain.
don't worry, the price on solar cells keeps going down.
look into the flexible "peel and stick" ones they came out with a couple years ago for putting on standing rib steel roofs. (mother earth News has done a couple of articles on them)

also - google homemade windmill generators. roughly $200 in parts will generate a lot of juice if you live somewhere with decent (steady) winds.

/ I can't go Green, and this is why: #3  
There's energy in them there sunrays and wind. But we need better technology to make it worth while. We don't have it yet. We need more nuclear and coal fired power plants. By the time these wear out solar and wind power might make sense.

/ I can't go Green, and this is why: #4  
So called 'green power' is only cost effective when the rest of the tax payers subsidise someone elses purchase.

/ I can't go Green, and this is why: #5  
"Green" is so misunderstood by Government. Michigan was about to propose legislation that all new buildings in Michigan would have to be "LEED". They had no clue what that meant and it would have put construction in Michigan at a stand still......

/ I can't go Green, and this is why: #6  
Hi RD,
In my opinion a high percentage of the sellers of solar and wind technology are in it for a fast buck. I say this from experience. I bought a Skystream wind turbine in 2008 from a solar and wind technology company which is now out of business, and the owner is now in jail for fraud. Good thing for me that my job was not the one that got him in trouble. My wind turbine is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. I think it will pay for itself in less than 10 years. But if it breaks down, I will have to work on it myself.
That may be what it takes to have a house that uses renewable energy sources: you learn enough about the subject that you can install it and repair it yourself. I'm just a retired person, too. I'd like to be able to hire the work that I need done, but 1) I can't afford it, and 2)it's hard to find workers who can be relied on to do it right.
Butch

/ I can't go Green, and this is why: #7  
I would research a ram pump for moving the water into the pond. Search these on the internet, they require no power, just use gravity to pump water uphill.

/ I can't go Green, and this is why: #8  
Green describes what you have to shell out....We have looked at going solar, going windpower or doing a grid tie system with both but the payback vs payout just makes it impractical right now. I would love to be self-sufficient but we just cant afford it right now. hopefully the prices will drop.

/ I can't go Green, and this is why: #9  
Yes, PV systems in general are not cheap, and the ROI is just not practical on a limited budget. But for the peace of mind it will provide you knowing you are not dependent on the grid, in my book, that's worth the money, sometimes.

But what blows my mind is the prices you have listed there, $5k for a solar pump system. What was the specs they quoted you? How many GPM pump? etc?

I've seen some very reasonable pricing at the Alt-E stores web site that make me think that guy was really over pricing things.

/ I can't go Green, and this is why: #10  
Hey Jim,
Aren't those Alt-e stores you talked about the one you have to do-it-yourself on the installation? I agree you can save money, and it's because you are doing all the work.
Butch