Creeks - want pics of bridges and erosion barriers.

/ Creeks - want pics of bridges and erosion barriers. #1  

pharmvet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 7710 II FWA, NH TB110 FWA w/ NH 46LB loader, JD 5303 2wd w/ loader
Got 130 acres with a creek running right through the middle. I love the creek, but it makes it difficult to get back and forth. Previous owner's renter had build a quick and dirty low water crossing with a small dozier but I can tell it will wash out with time. The cows have really taken their toll on the creek crossings and banks and have caused some serious erosion. Im planning on building my house here (on the hill overlooking the creek bottom) and would like to have some projects involving erosion control, bridges, "good" low water crossing, etc. Just wondering if any of you have advise and possibley some pics. Looking for novel bridges, culverts, cross tie erosion barriers etc. thanks

/ Creeks - want pics of bridges and erosion barriers. #2  
How wide is the creek?

I have built a few wooden bridges over mine and I will try to snap some pictures for you. They are nothing special but they are functional. Width of the creek/span of the bridge makes a bit difference in terms of complexity and cost.

/ Creeks - want pics of bridges and erosion barriers. #3  
For inexpensive erosion control, plant a hundred trees. In many areas there are programs to offset costs.

Depending on the creek width and water volume, my first choice for a crossing would be a classic culvert or two. Very low safety risk. Large stones at the water entrance will keep soil intact. Next choice for bridge is flatbed trailer bed properly supported. Fairly instant results.

Cheers!
Mike

/ Creeks - want pics of bridges and erosion barriers. #4  
If you want the quickest and cheapest solution to crossing a creek...........

.............Look in the paper or online and find an old 48' flatbed trailer.........

.............cut the axles out from under it...............................................

.............rent a crane, and you are done..............................................

........This makes a 8' wide bridge that will support just about anything.......

/ Creeks - want pics of bridges and erosion barriers.
Good idea on the flatbed trailer guys. Are you talking flatbed trailer from an 18 wheeler truck? Also, on the trees, Ive already been to the NRCS office and they have a program with monitary incentive to plant trees on either side of the creek. Any good pics of a flatbed bridge or a good low water crossing are most wanted. thanks

/ Creeks - want pics of bridges and erosion barriers. #6  
I don't have a picture but my excavator installed a low water crossing for me using a few sections of old concrete road sections. About 8-12" thick and 10 feet wide. He installed them so the concrete slabs were even with the creek bottom.

/ Creeks - want pics of bridges and erosion barriers. #7  
Definatally need to know how wide the creek is to give the best ideas.

While the flatbed trailer is an excellent idea if you have to span 20-30', it really would not be practical if the span is only 5-6'.

The creek that splits my property is about 4-5' across and 2-3' deep. Not very big, and is bone dry a lot of times, but when it rains, it fills clear full and moves fast. Given the short span, I just tool several electric poles, cut them at 10' long, and started laying them down side by side till it was about 10' wide.

I cant offer any suggestions on the erosion control, but if you don't have to span far, local electric companies usually give the used poles away for free (they sometimes ask for a small donation), and they make a very solid bridge.

/ Creeks - want pics of bridges and erosion barriers. #8  
Got 130 acres with a creek running right through the middle. I love the creek, but it makes it difficult to get back and forth. Previous owner's renter had build a quick and dirty low water crossing with a small dozier but I can tell it will wash out with time. The cows have really taken their toll on the creek crossings and banks and have caused some serious erosion. Im planning on building my house here (on the hill overlooking the creek bottom) and would like to have some projects involving erosion control, bridges, "good" low water crossing, etc. Just wondering if any of you have advise and possibley some pics. Looking for novel bridges, culverts, cross tie erosion barriers etc. thanks

Could you lay some big rocks where you have erosion ?..If the creek has a curve in some places you could put the rocks, so the water won't hit the side of the bank.

About a bridge... I don't know if you seen this one, but it's a nice bridge & very well built.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/146006-building-bridge.html

/ Creeks - want pics of bridges and erosion barriers. #9  
   / Creeks - want pics of bridges and erosion barriers. #10  
Definatally need to know how wide the creek is to give the best ideas.

While the flatbed trailer is an excellent idea if you have to span 20-30', it really would not be practical if the span is only 5-6'.

The creek that splits my property is about 4-5' across and 2-3' deep. Not very big, and is bone dry a lot of times, but when it rains, it fills clear full and moves fast. Given the short span, I just tool several electric poles, cut them at 10' long, and started laying them down side by side till it was about 10' wide.

I cant offer any suggestions on the erosion control, but if you don't have to span far, local electric companies usually give the used poles away for free (they sometimes ask for a small donation), and they make a very solid bridge.

You are right about the length issue and the 48' trailer.

I have an old mobile home that I am demo'ing. When I get that done I plan to use the frame for the bridge structure and cut it to length.