Spray tank neutralizer?

/ Spray tank neutralizer? #1  

DennisArrow

Platinum Member
Tractor
Iseki TL 2300, Kubota RTV, Kubota B7610
Just got a 25 gal. spray unit from my kids and wife. It is perfect for hauling around and using in the back of the RTV........The question is, what is used for when I change different herbicides and pesticides so that residue is not left in the tank. Yes, I know there is perhaps stuff I can BUY at TSC, but are there other methods?........thanks......Dennis

/ Spray tank neutralizer? #2  
I fill the tank up 1/2 way after spraying and run all clean water through it to clean out everything.

/ Spray tank neutralizer?
Perhaps to be a bit more specific. I use heavy duty Round UP a LOT to get rid of english ivy, kudzu, blackberry, etc in a lot of places. Then I also switch over to specific herbicide for use on broadleafs in my pasture. When I make this switch, I worry about getting ALL of the "heavy duty kill everything" herbicide out.

Also, there may come a day when I want to mix up a big mix of insecticide in the sprayer to use on fruit trees and the garden so I need to totally clean out ALL of the herbicide. The ol brain cells, which are getting more and more feeble, seems to remember that running detergent or stuff like that through will clean and neutralize. Probably wrong; but what do you suggest?

No problem as to where to dump the rinse/flush as I have over 1/2 mile of private road that needs cleaning up.............Thanks guys............God bless........Dennis

/ Spray tank neutralizer? #4  
I dont even like to take the chance , so I have 3 different sprayers all marked for specific needs . Weedkiller , brushkiller & insecticides . I,d rather be safe then sorry . Bob

/ Spray tank neutralizer? #5  
Dennis, FIMCO calls for using "Nutra-Sol," but that is exactly what you are trying to avoid. Here is their process:

"After use fill the sprayer part way with water, start the sprayer
and allow clear water to be pumped through the plumbing
system and out through the handgun. Use the handgun on
the sprayer to thoroughly wash all internal parts of the tank
and tank cover.
Refill the tank about half full with plain water and use a chemical
neutralizer such as Nutra-Sol or equivalent and repeat
cleaning instructions above. Flush the entire sprayer with
the neutralizing agent. Follow the chemical manufacturers
disposal instructions of all wash or rinsing water."

I don't know what is in the Nutra-Sol, but I'd bet a thorough cleaning with some purple cleaner and plenty of water would achieve the same results.

/ Spray tank neutralizer? #6  
I just fill up my tank with water and run it through the system. The amount of chemical left on the walls of the tank is so minimal that it's pretty much fully diluted from the clean water. If you want to be super cautious, you could tripple rinse it, but to me that's not really needed.

Eddie

/ Spray tank neutralizer? #7  
Regular household ammonia is the standby in the Ag community. Rinse it out(hoses and all) with plain water. Put in a strong mix of ammonia flush again and then a final rinse with water.
I do it this way on a 500 gal spayer and on my 25 gal spot sprayer and it works very well. I still would not want to drink out of it;), but it did not have a chemical odor either.

/ Spray tank neutralizer?
Thanks guys........especially you ch...........was thinking it was a strong detergent and amonia fills that bill cheap.........yes.........just flushing the whole unit out several times will work; but when I need to change out to a different kind of "solution" in the tank this really helps the peace of mind..............thanks again guys..........God bless.......Dennis

/ Spray tank neutralizer? #9  
There was a piece on Ag PhD last week about sprayer tank cleaning. In short, a tank should always be filled with water/tank cleaner and left to sit over night to pull all herbicide traces from the pores of the plastic. The old standbys of ammonia and triple rinsing aren’t removing everything. I’ve never had any noticeable problems with triple rinsing, but as cheap as tank cleaner is, it’s foolish not to do it properly, at least occasionally.