High Efficency Water Heater Recomendations

/ High Efficency Water Heater Recomendations #1  

Scooby074

Tractor
BX 25, ZD 326
I think its time to replace our old heater. Its been giving problems the last year or so and now i have a burned out element. THe heater is close to 10yrs old now, so considering i have to drain it anyways, i might as well swap it out.

So my question is whats a good model? The current one is a GSW thats been good up till this year (no shame for it).

Id like to get a High efficency model if possible. Due to cost and lack of gas, an upgrade to tankless likely wont work.

Home depot carries the GE models. I havent used one , are they any good?

GSW doesnt make a high effiency model at least that i can find.

I have a Ruud heater in the barn, thats been going for at least 8 years (likely 10) on the same elements (heater itself is even older) !!! And i keep the temp on it quite high. The water at the barn is super hard too.

Are the Ruud/Rheem marithon heaters any good? THey look to be quite efficient. Lifetime warranty on tank.

/ High Efficency Water Heater Recomendations #2  
Scooby,
I've replaced my water heater 5 times in 15 years. Our problem seems to be minerals in the water. But the water heater never caused the hot water to smell bad until I bought this GE from Lowe's about 8 months ago. It was the most expensive model they had, and it had an aluminum anode rod in it. Now I'm trying to chase down a zinc anode rod. When this heater goes out I plan to buy a marathon.
Butch

/ High Efficency Water Heater Recomendations
Thanks for the reply butch. Good to know about the GE

What i understand about the marithons is that opinion seems to be split. The pros say they're overpriced. Homeowners have said that its hard to get warranty out of Rheem in a timely manner. Plus theres the price.

Id like to go tankless. but that would turn into a major job. I liked the marithon for their efficency (~.96 EF).

A little research locally, and i can get a 9Yr 60Gal GSW with 2" foam insulation for $498. 6YR with fiberglass insulation for 458. Id get the 2"foam.

I havent found a Rheem dealer to get a price on a Marithon.

Do any manufacturers make a electronic controled heater? One that you can set the temp back at night to save power? Edit: it looks like GE might :rolleyes:...opps , no they dont. It was a upcoming Hybrid model

I know i can add an external timer, but a built in system might be more efficient.

Last edited:
   / High Efficency Water Heater Recomendations #4  
"Do any manufacturers make a electronic controled heater? One that you can set the temp back at night to save power? Edit: it looks like GE might ...opps , no they dont. It was a upcoming Hybrid model"
i'm not sure something like that would help: i have an elcheapo gas water heater: when we go away for a couple days, i turn the gas to pilot: so it won't be kicking on while we are gone, plus i turn the water off: when we return, the water heater never kicks on, until we start running water: what i am saying, is even the cheapest water heater shouldn't be kicking on very often with out use. i have considered the on demand type heaters, but have been told by folks, they do not work if you want to run just a trickle of hot water: you have to open the faucet up wide to get them to kick on...so that put me back to the cheapo type: for electric, i don't think you can beat the marathon: seems like its made by rheem???
heehaw

/ High Efficency Water Heater Recomendations #5  
I don't know about effeciency, but I have a rheem tank and it and my house are going on 20 years old and it has never been changed other than the bottom element. I have hard water and it fills up with calcium to the point of burrying the bottom element which kills them. First time lasted 9 years, then six, now seems like every year or two, but I've been getting cheap generic replacement elements. So I would think the rheems are pretty good units to last that long.

/ High Efficency Water Heater Recomendations
Paystar: The Ruud/Rheem in the barn has been the same. Probably the best heater ive had.

I think the only Rheem bearler in town is contractor only. So that may rule one out.

A friend sells Giant, he says theyre pretty good, but theyre only 8 yr warranty. Good price though. Ill have to do a little more research.

heehaw: i was wanting the timer so i could turn down the tank over night. I understand that theres savings there, much like turning down the electric heat over night.Although a well insulated tank would reduce those savings i imagine.

/ High Efficency Water Heater Recomendations #7  
The high efficiency tank should not fire at all overnight if the hot water is not being used. So, whether the power is on or off makes no difference. Once upon a time tanks were not so efficient and stand by losses were actually high enough to make up for reheating the cool water in the morning.

/ High Efficency Water Heater Recomendations #8  
they use to put the water heater on a separate electric meter: that could be set to come on and kick off at certain times: i have a couple of the old meters: but as mentioned, water heaters nowdays, hold the heat of the water a lot longer, so should not come on at night with out the water flowing.
heehaw

/ High Efficency Water Heater Recomendations #9  
I vote for the marathon heater. They may be more expensive now, but likely to save you in the long haul. You never have to worry about the tank rusting away, and as mentioned, they are the most efficcient electric heater you can buy.

Mine is 13 years old and I have had zero problems. It's still running on the factory elements. As far as having trouble with warrenty, I wouldnt know, cause it's been flawless, but they do have a lifetime warrenty

/ High Efficency Water Heater Recomendations #10  
Water heaters are wasteful creatures, and as you stated, you could install an external timer, which doesn't cost much and will certainly do the job....
Additionally, all of us could get more life out of the water heaters if we'd remove the candy-azz hose bib with a 3/4-inch ball valve and drain the heater a couple of times a year... the ball valve allows for the removal of more of the sediment...