meat smoker

/ meat smoker #1  

randy41

Veteran Member
We're getting half a hog on Friday and I want to cure bacon and make sausage. So I will need a smoker. I've seen descriptions to make one out of a metal trash can and a flower pot using a hot plate for heat. I have an extra woodstove and plenty of firewood and would like to use it but I don't know how to do that. I've also seen ready made smokers.
Advice and recommendations please. Think cheap.

O...and recipes are encouraged. for both bacon and sausage.

/ meat smoker #3  
metal trash can

If this trash can is galvanized maybe it should not be used.:D

Back when I was younger and still living on the farm my dad smoked bacon and sausage. He had a small building about the same size as an outhouse which he used. The bacon and sausage hung up higher in the building and there was a very small willow fire on the floor. This fire would be just enough to maintain a very little flame with sometimes just smoldering. Worked for him. The cost was minimal.:D

What kind of pickle will you set your bacon in and for how long?:D

My Dad just used a salt pickle and left the bacon in that for about three weeks before smoking it. The bacon would keep without refrigeration.:D

/ meat smoker #4  
Egon that is the way I think of smoking bacon. A salt brine for several weeks and then cold smoking for several days. Sure is good stuff.

MarkV

/ meat smoker
I started to cure my bacon this morning. 1 part kosher salt to 1 part brown sugar.

/ meat smoker #6  
I started to cure my bacon this morning. 1 part kosher salt to 1 part brown sugar.

Good Afternoon Randy,
Youve got our curiousity, keep us posted ! :)