garage building advice

/ garage building advice #1  

PaulieD

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 35
Folks,

I'd like to replace some old storage sheds with a new garage workshop. I've spoken with a Morton Steel rep and have sought an estimate on a 30 X 40 steel pole barn. I will clear the sheds, contract with an excavator (for ground prep), electricians, and plumbers (if necessary). I'll section off the shop, insulate and do any finish work. Morton will come in and erect the building.

Does anyone have experience with Morton? If so, what has that experience been like?

Thanks,

Paul

/ garage building advice #2  
my only experience with them has been getting a quote and then choking.
they're proud of their work - which isn't bad, but there are others out there who will do as good a job for significantly less.
Talk to your closest truss manufacturer and see who they recommend.

/ garage building advice #3  
Yep Morton has a great reputation and builds a nice building but they do tend to be on the high end of the pricing scale.

MarkV

/ garage building advice #4  
Morton just completed a 26' x' 54' x 12' building for me last Dec. They are more expensive than some alternatives but the materials they use are high grade, heavier steel than most others, and the crews are full time Morton employees who do a quick and professional job. They've been around a long time, show up on time/finish on schedule, and stand behind their work. PM me if you have specific questions or would like more details.

Attachments

• Finished Barn.jpg
    Finished Barn.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 138
   / garage building advice #5  
I like the brown and green combination FrogLick. Different than most of the pole barns you see.

MarkV

/ garage building advice #6  
Any more pics there FrogLick? Very nice....

/ garage building advice
Guys,

Thanks for your insights regarding Morton. The Morton rep that I dealt with was professional and helpful. After discussing options with him, I asked him to quote on a 30X40X9 gable roofed garage/workshop. Two 12x 8 insulated overhead doors, one 6X8 overhead door, a insulated slab 9 lite entry door, and three of four windows. There will be a gable over the entry door to break up the snow that will fall off the roof. I'll clear out the old sheds and hire the excavator to do the ground prep.

The phone quote I received was $33800. Seems like a lot of money for a steel pole barn, but I'm really not in a good position to know. I have a buddy that is a remodeling contractor, and he think I could do a wooden structure pole building for a lot less. Problem is I don't know any contractors around here (my buddy live 120 miles south).

I guess I'm going to put out feelers for a reliable contractor and try to get a quote, but I will probably continue to entertain the Morton option, I did see a building they built for the local rescue squad and that is a nice looking structure.

Thanks again for all the help, if you have any other advice or thoughts on this subject, I'm willing to learn.

Thanks,

Paul

/ garage building advice #8  
Guys,

Thanks for your insights regarding Morton. The Morton rep that I dealt with was professional and helpful. After discussing options with him, I asked him to quote on a 30X40X9 gable roofed garage/workshop. Two 12x 8 insulated overhead doors, one 6X8 overhead door, a insulated slab 9 lite entry door, and three of four windows. There will be a gable over the entry door to break up the snow that will fall off the roof. I'll clear out the old sheds and hire the excavator to do the ground prep.

The phone quote I received was $33800. Seems like a lot of money for a steel pole barn, but I'm really not in a good position to know. I have a buddy that is a remodeling contractor, and he think I could do a wooden structure pole building for a lot less. Problem is I don't know any contractors around here (my buddy live 120 miles south).

I guess I'm going to put out feelers for a reliable contractor and try to get a quote, but I will probably continue to entertain the Morton option, I did see a building they built for the local rescue squad and that is a nice looking structure.

Thanks again for all the help, if you have any other advice or thoughts on this subject, I'm willing to learn.

Thanks,

Paul

I didn't know that Morton built steel frame buildings :confused:

/ garage building advice #9  
Guys,

Thanks,

Paul
I just had a 24X24X12 with attached 24X12 lean-to(40 year warrenty steel)4 inch full cement in barn and lean-to, insulated commerical 12X12 ft overhead door,3 sliding windows,commerical electric door opener,and a 36X10 cement approach,for $16,000 by a local contractor.Hope this helps.coobie

/ garage building advice
That price is an eye opener coobie. Thanks for giving me some price perspective.

Duffster, I'm not getting a steel frame building. It's a pole barn with pressure treated lumber for the poles with wood and metal straps tying the structure together. The walls and roof are steel panels.

Thanks,

Paul