A 40 foot diesel motorhome

/ A 40 foot diesel motorhome #1  

Patriotic Stabilist

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford-Old-was dad's
I'm thinking of buying a motorhome. I saw a really nice 40 ft Beaver Patriot 300 hp cummins engine, 1995 one for $35k. It only has 38,000 miles on it, looks to be in topnotch shape. It does not have a slideout, but has everything else including a washer dryer which I really like.

I haven't talked to them yet, but was wondering if you have to have a CDL license for it, hubby said if it has airbrakes you do in Texas. Also curious if anyone in Texas has an idea of ins costs. These are things I need to lookinto. I never envisioned this one but they have dropped the price a bunch and as hubby says it sounds to be really nice.

Also I've driven my Lincoln truck pulling a 20 ft trailer but never anything like that, how hard are they to get around. I'm itching to travel as it looks like hubby is going to work at least 3 more years or if up to him maybe 7. Well I'm 63 and in 7 more years don't think I will want to go much, he may. I like to fish and so does DD. She is our sweety, she is mentally challenged but my great companion, she loves to travel and see new places so I really think we would use it.

Also how about parks? I'm reading that many won't let one in older then 10 years, is that an issue?

/ A 40 foot diesel motorhome #2  
I would say probably NO on the CDL but I don't know your states specifically.

Air brakes doesn't dictate a CDL by themselves it would depend on other factors.

/ A 40 foot diesel motorhome #3  
The RV industry has great lobbyists and as far as I know a CDL is not required on any RV.

Many RV parks do not allow units over 10 years old. OTOH, if your RV is clean, well-maintained, and looks good they will not keep you out. The rule is to keep the rolling junkheaps out. Remember, they are in business to make money, not to turn away good customers. The "looks good" part is the most important.

In CA, insurance was about the same as on a car.

/ A 40 foot diesel motorhome
Hubby is also saying I couldn't tow our trucks as they are Fords and will mess up the transmissions. He said I would have to buy another vehicle to tow or put them up on a trailer to tow. Yikes we are getting up to 60 ft now! I'm not sure I can be a semi driver at age 63. So I'm thinking maybe a small car to tow, I've read you can tow the Smart Car with 4 wheels down. But that would eliminate the 3 of us ever going, so likely something a little bigger.

/ A 40 foot diesel motorhome #5  
A "Commercial" CDL may not be required but a Class "B" or "A" license may be. In many states you are required to have the appropriate license for the weight of the vehicle. The only real difference is the non CDL "A" and "B" licenses do not require a DOT physical card.

A quick check on the internet came up with this for Texas. "Above 26,000 lb GVWR or GCWR (while towing > 10,000 lb) requires non-commercial Class A or B" RV Driver's License Requirements

/ A 40 foot diesel motorhome #6  
IMO 35k for a 14 yr old 40 ft is way over priced better shop around.

/ A 40 foot diesel motorhome #7  
A 1995 Beaver according to NADA should be worth $27 to $33K. A Bearver in good shape should not have any problems getting into a RV park that has a 10 year limit. Just tell them it is a 2002.
You will get some good info on RV.net about all model RV's.

/ A 40 foot diesel motorhome #8  
In CA, insurance was about the same as on a car.

:DIn 1973, I bought the smallest new Winnebago class A motorhome made and I never forgot the salesman talking to another customer who asked about the cost of insurance. The salesman said it would be about the same as for a car. After the other customer left, I asked the salesman, "Aren't you ashamed of yourself for telling them that?" and he said, "Well, it's the truth. Of course, the motorhome costs about twice what a new car costs, and the insurance will be about twice the cost of insurance for a new car.":D Of course that was to insure the motorhome against loss or damage. Liability insurance is probably about the same.

I wondered about the price also, I was thinking of offering $30 or less, doubt they will take it but maybe they will for a cash offer. I never offer full price for anything, I like to dicker. It's a beauty doesn't look like the thing has been used, but just sitting around that many years can't be good for the components and engine I wouldn't think.

I can get all the stuff in the coach checked out, but I'm more concerned about the engine, tires, etc. Hubby said these things are prone to electrical issues and that can be a nightmare. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, I want something like that but my practical nature is saying no.

Just found out the same coverage I have on my truck would run me right at $200 every 6 months, so not bad. Hope they sell it before I look at it, that will solve my problem!