log splitters

/ log splitters #1  

bhostasa

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2015 HST
I've been thinking about upgrading my splitter. I cut and split about 10-12 cords per year and have been using an older machine for the last five years. It does okay but seems to be wearing out a bit and I'm wondering how much quicker a new machine could split.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? I am figuring a 27 ton splitter would do. I split about anything I can get my hands on but seem to split a lot of Ash and Oak. I've read some threads on TBN discussing the preference of the Honda engine vs. the Briggs & Stratton. Is there a known issue with B&S that I don't know about? My current splitter has a 5.5 HP B&S and it's worked well.

If I do purchase something, I've pretty much decided to get a pull behind and not a 3 point splitter. Any feedback would be appreciated. As always, thanks all!:)

/ log splitters #2  
I have a splitter that is horizontal only. It has a clone of a honda engine on it. The engine is great, but once in a while I get some bigger logs and wish it would tilt up and be vertical also.

/ log splitters #3  
I bought a 27 ton Troy Bilt (MTD?) from Lowes last October. Has the Honda GC engine (160 cc, not sure what the HP rating is, approx 5). Honda engine is quiet and uses very little gas and very little oil. Don't have to fuss with the carb when the temp changes like my older BS powered splitter. Starts on the first pull everytime. I added a small gas filter for cheap insurance, surprised it didn't come with one.

Lowes had a 0% finance, no payments one year offer and I had a 10% off coupon so I took the thing home for less than $1200. Just make sure you pay it off at least one month early to make certain you don't get hit with the insane finance and interest charges if you go beyond one year.

Splits everything we throw at it and I have a lot of sweet gum on my property, which actually tears not splits, no problems. Split some very large pieces of maple and beech no problem.

The cycle time is a little slow and the "craddle" is really too small. Is splits both horiz and vert, easy to switch. It is towable, but the toy tires don't inspire confidence on the road. I normally tow it around my place on the back of the tractor. It is light enough to move around by hand. You can store it vert, doesn't take much space.

This thing wouldn't work out if you split wood for a living or split a lot of wood. I might split 8 to 10 cords per year, with a little maintainence and not abusing it too much this splitter should outlast me. The Honda engine is the best part of the splitter.

Dave

Last edited:
   / log splitters #4  
I bought a 3PH hydraulic splitter a few years ago from TSC. Last XMAS I made a bench out of PT 4x4s and 6x6s that holds the splitter. The splitter was already at waist height and I built the bench to wrap around and hold up the splitter so that I would not have too hook the splitter up to the tractor. When building the bench I had to make a decision to allow the splitter to move vertical as it was supposed to or have the bench be very stable/safe.

I picked stable/safe.

To get large rounds on the bench I take two 6 foot long T posts and lay then side by side with one in on the top of the bench and the other on the ground. This just forms a ramp and I can roll the rounds up to the top of the bench pretty easily. I might buy two 8 footers to decrease the angle.

Because the bench/splitter is waist high I am not bent over its pretty easy to run split for 5-6 hours. And since the splitter runs off hydraulics and is not attached to the 3PH it easy to take off the hoses and use the tractor for other work.

I looked at the Troy built splitter at Lowes but the idea of being bent over for hours and hours splitting wood was not making me happy. I spent a summer splittng wood over a similar splitter and I just did not want to revist that part of my life. :D The splitter from TSC was $800 and I guess I spent another couple hundred on PT wood for the bench. Well worth it.

Later,
Dan

/ log splitters #5  
I have a 26-ton vertical/horizontal pull behind with a Briggs & stratton engine.

It will split stumps up to 2 1/2ft. long and i have split some that were 5ft.round... The trees that i have a problem with are beech & sycamores, and the problem is that they splinter.. so instead of turning the stump around i just take a axe & cut that.

You really don't want one that would run the wedge down real fast, because you could lose a hand....Something that can make splitting a lot faster is a "4 way splitting wedge."

Like this. NorthStar Wedge Wings for Log Splitter | Log Splitter Accessories | Northern Tool + Equipment

It doesn't work well on large stumps like 5ft. round, because you can't get in the center of the stump..... I made my own and it works great.

/ log splitters #6  
Here is a picture of the log splitter that I built 30 years ago. It is also quite slow, but I am in no hurry. You might get a two stage pump to speed up the operating cycle of your splitter:
Log-splitter-2.jpg

/ log splitters #7  
Re Honda vs Briggs. I am a Honda fan (have 4 now). However, the briggs comercial duty engines have always treated me well. The one on my old hombuilt splitter was new in 86, went through at least 10 cord/yr and only had a couple quickie tune-ups. Got a new Troybilt splitter last winter and sold the old one to my nephew - he hasn't complained about it yet ;)

Harry K

/ log splitters #8  
I run a Timberwolf splitter with the Honda Engine...outstanding machine.

the 4 way splitter and table grate options were excellent investments.

i would not own a splitter without a table grate