Antique tractors

/ Antique tractors #1  

Solo

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer2030
I have been trying to remember the name of an old tractor my neighbor had when I was a boy. It had one front wheel, he had to crank start it, and it had a pulley on the side for belt driven attachments. I also remember there was no color except for rust. This is not much info but any suggestions would be helpful.
Solo

/ Antique tractors #2  
I know a lot of the old Cases had just one front wheel. They were also a tanish color, so would not take much to look like rust.

/ Antique tractors #3  
Need more information. Many of the old tractors such as John Deere, Farmall, Case, etc. were available with a variety of front wheel combinations--single wheel, two wheels close together, wide front end, and wide front end adjustable. Try looking for a tag someplace on the engine or on the back of the rear axle assembly. This might include the name of the tractor. If this doesn't work, try contacting local Chambers of Commerce or local or state historical societies and obtain the name, phone number, e-mail address, etc. of an antique tractor club. Members would be delighted (really!) to help you identify your antique tractor. You might also go to your public library and ask them to help you locate a near-by antique tractor club. If nothing else fails, submit another posting and I'll provide information about a national group that would have listings of members in your area.

/ Antique tractors
GlennT
I would be happy to give you more info but I haven't seen the tractor in over 20 years. I was just thinking about it, and this is all I can remember about it.
Solo

/ Antique tractors #5  
In rereading your posting, I realize I gave you a bum steer. Sorry. You apparently don't have access to the tractor anymore. However, you still could describe it to the member of an antique tractor club and they might be able to help you identify it. Also, there are some wonderful books available with pictures of antique tractors. If your public library doesn't have any, they could get some on interlibrary loan. A couple that are rather comprehensive are:
Wendel, C.H. Encyclopedia of American Farm Tractors. Motorbooks International, 1992.
Farm Tractors, 1926-1956 and a second volume entitled Farm Tractors, 1916-1925. Intertec Publishing, 1991 and 1992.
There are dozens and dozens of interesting tractor books available and you might have a blast doing a little research on this.

/ Antique tractors #6  
You might also try <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yesterdaystractors.com>Yesterday's Tractors</A> for some help in your search. Good luck with it. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Antique tractors #7  
International Farmalls came from the factory red. After a few years of sitting out in the sun, they took on a "rust" color from the faded red paint. Most of the older tractors had the tricycle front and the belt attachment. I have a 54 Super C Farmall that is the rust color you describe. It is not rusted, just faded. Yesterday's Tractors is a great source for parts and information. I have used them often.

/ Antique tractors #8  
Since you're just going from memory, it's hard to tell from your description because there's not enough detail. But, you might recognize one if you saw it. So, go to some county fairs and antique tractor shows (the Yesterday's Tractors site will provide a list of shows in their "Events Calendar" link, plus they have some picture of antique tractors in the links under "Gallery") and start looking at them. You might spot one just like the one you're talking about. If not, they're fun to go to anyway!