yellow jackets safe nest disposal?

/ yellow jackets safe nest disposal? #1  

RadarTech

Elite Member
Tractor
2007 Kubota L3400, YANMAR YT359C
hey folks,
well today marks a first for me..
I was clearing some brush and widening an old road and BAM BAM yellow jackets got me.. kinda funny, on the right forearm right by bucket control.. NAH they could not have known......
Since I am not allergic and it was only 2-- a little peroxide and I was all better...

Realized what was getting me and was able to get out of there on the tractor pretty quick..

Went back 10 min later and dumped a full bucket of dirt on the nest..
yeah, partially dumb, partially revenge, and partially helpful...

BUT the question at hand is: how best to get rid of them without burning them...
this nest is in the woods with lots of dry leaves etc..

So, as with everything else here, I am wondering how you would do it?

what do all of you do as a magic solution?

Looking forward to hearing your ideas!

thanks in advance....

J

/ yellow jackets safe nest disposal? #2  
Since I am not allergic and it was only 2-- a little peroxide and I was all better...

Two comments:

1. I'd speculate that many who've killed a nest (I've never done it) have simply poured gasoline into the hole, letting the fumes kill the nest. Don't ignight the fuel. I've never done this, don't "know" that it would work and have no idea if it does work, just how much gas you'd need (ounce? gallon?)

2. Be forewarned...just because you are not sting allergic to the little SOB's today, doesn't mean that TODAY'S sting won't convert you to allergic such that the NEXT time you get stung, you experience a reaction.

I was never allergic to any kinds of stings (though I'm always allergic to pain :eek: )

I've been stung any number of times.

Then... 3 years ago, November 11, I had a lowely wasp bust me on my calf in the late fall.

3 hours in the emergency room, maybe 5-7 viles of "stuff" pumped into an IV sticking into my arm and today, I'm taking allergy shots for these little SOB's.

Also... important note... it was a lowely wasp that put me in the emergency room with body hives, short of breath and near fainting...

When we did the allergy tests at the Dr.'s, we found that I'm the LEAST reactive to wasps, more reactive to bees and the MOST reactive to yellow jackets and hornets.

Had it been a yellow jacket or hornet that busted my chops instead of a lowely wasp, my story could have had a different ending. To repeat, I had never before, been sting allergic and acquired it at age 46.

Don't be complacient with those little SOB's. Kill a couple for me, please? :cool:

/ yellow jackets safe nest disposal? #3  
I hate yellow jackets but I'm not allergic to them like you are... I know a guy that is & he keeps a shot with him at all times.

I really hate to be running a bush-hog & run over a nest, and they will sting you very quick...I once got stung 22 times while mowing.

If i see a yellow jacket nest, I'll wait until about dark & pour gas in the hole.. And don't set fire to it, just let the fumes kill them.

Another thing i hate is wasp... I had several nest in my barns & i used some of that spray that the electric company use... It will spray about 30ft.

You really need to be careful.

Stay safe!

/ yellow jackets safe nest disposal? #4  
I love this stuff. It's my best weapon.
And it'll shoot about 15-20 feet.

imagerequest.aspx

/ yellow jackets safe nest disposal? #5  
I don't disturb the nest initially and return to it well after dark so they are all home and not flying around, locate the hole and pour a 2 litter bottle of gas down the hole. The next day not even one live yellowjacket can be seen. No fire and then I can retrieve my tractor and anything else I had to leave behind during the excitement of the previous day.

/ yellow jackets safe nest disposal? #6  
I don't disturb the nest initially and return to it well after dark so they are all home and not flying around, locate the hole and pour a 2 litter bottle of gas down the hole. The next day not even one live yellowjacket can be seen. No fire and then I can retrieve my tractor and anything else I had to leave behind during the excitement of the previous day.

Ditto , The same here . Just the gas alone is enough , without the danger of the fire IMHO . Of coarse You have to carefull as to not cause a spark of anykind . Bob

/ yellow jackets safe nest disposal? #7  
If you are going to use gas on them, you need to know if any of them are smokers.

/ yellow jackets safe nest disposal? #8  
I go for the nest in the evening, but use a whole can of RAID (not the foaming kind) instead of gas - but hear the gas works well

I was stung about 20 times in two different instances last year. Both times I reacted, jumping from the tractor and running. The third time i hit a nest -one stung me on this wrist after I swatted it - but I stopped and became completely still. Had to sit there for about 5 minutes while they swarmed around me, bumping into me a few times. Took every bit of self-control I had - but worked. As they settled down I slowly backed the tractor out of the area.

I hate those things......

/ yellow jackets safe nest disposal? #9  
Very effective. A cupful is plenty. Less environmentally unfriendly - - cheaper too.
larry

/ yellow jackets safe nest disposal? #10  
Very effective. A cupful is plenty. Less environmentally unfriendly - - cheaper too.

Do they prefer premix, regular or higher octane? :D