Does Anyone Have A Good Garlic Pickle Recipe?

/ Does Anyone Have A Good Garlic Pickle Recipe? #1  

Ductape

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
The past two years, I've tried garlic pickle recipes i found by googling........ and they were terrible. I haven't given up, and I'm growing pickling cukes again. I'm looking for a good recipe......... something like the big jar of pickles you might find on the counter of an old country store. I prefer a good tried and true recipe, and don't leave out any details. My last two attempts were no more than soggy cukes with a hint of garlic in the juice. Can any of you guys help me? :confused:

/ Does Anyone Have A Good Garlic Pickle Recipe? #2  
Here is one that my sons love. And they are big pickle eaters.

2 dozen medium cucumbers 2 tsp celery seed
12 cloves of garlic 1 quart vinegar
6 dry red chili peppers 1 cup sugar
1/3 cup salt
Slice cucumbers lengthwise. Pack into 6 pint jars. Place 2 cloves of garlic, 1 chili pepper and 1/2 tsp into each pint jar. Combine vinegar, sugar and salt in saucepan and bring to boil. Boil for 3 minutes. Pour over pickles and seal. The pickles will be ready to eat in 20 days.

These make a very tart and spicy pickle. Are you looking for something similar?

/ Does Anyone Have A Good Garlic Pickle Recipe? #4  
I have been very dissatisfied by the pickle recipes I've found on the web. I know there are two types: The natural fermentation type (which is what I think you want), and the acid-supplied-by-you-usually-vinegar type. The recipes on the web are either poorly written or turn out terrible. I really want some good pickles.

/ Does Anyone Have A Good Garlic Pickle Recipe? #5  
The past two years, I've tried garlic pickle recipes i found by googling........ and they were terrible. I haven't given up, and I'm growing pickling cukes again. I'm looking for a good recipe......... something like the big jar of pickles you might find on the counter of an old country store. I prefer a good tried and true recipe, and don't leave out any details. My last two attempts were no more than soggy cukes with a hint of garlic in the juice. Can any of you guys help me? :confused:

How are you processing your pickles? This is my first year for making dill pickles and I must say they've turned out very well. Nice flavor and pretty crisp. I pack mine in a jar, cover with hot brine and then run them in a hot water bath for 15 minutes. We've made both spears and hamburger slices (56 Qts so far). If this is the type your looking for, let me know and I'll give you the recipe I use.

Mark

/ Does Anyone Have A Good Garlic Pickle Recipe?
How are you processing your pickles? This is my first year for making dill pickles and I must say they've turned out very well. Nice flavor and pretty crisp. I pack mine in a jar, cover with hot brine and then run them in a hot water bath for 15 minutes. We've made both spears and hamburger slices (56 Qts so far). If this is the type your looking for, let me know and I'll give you the recipe I use.

Mark

Both internet recipes I tried in the past...... the pickles were boiled whole in the brine, then put in jars and refrigerated. Fresh garlic and dill used both times....... but the pickles ended up just soggy cucumbers with little garlic flavor. I'm thinking I want to do whole pickles, but if spears is the way to go.......i can live with that.

/ Does Anyone Have A Good Garlic Pickle Recipe? #7  
Both internet recipes I tried in the past...... the pickles were boiled whole in the brine, then put in jars and refrigerated. Fresh garlic and dill used both times....... but the pickles ended up just soggy cucumbers with little garlic flavor. I'm thinking I want to do whole pickles, but if spears is the way to go.......i can live with that.

We just got done canning another 21 qts last night. Here's how we do it.

- One batch of brine consists of: 4 cups white vinegar, 12 cups water, 2/3 cups pickling salt, and about a teaspoon or so of alum powder. That'll get you about 12 Qts.

Bring brine to a boil and then turn heat back to a slow simmer.

Into the sterilized jar you put fresh dill weed, fresh garlic, and a teaspoon each of mustard seed, dill seed, and pepper corns. If you like yours more garlicky, just add more garlic:D

Pack pickles tightly in jar, fill with simmering brine, put on lids and bands, and process in a (boiling) hot water bath for 15 minutes (If you don't have a pot for this, they can be purchased at Wally World or any such store. They come with a rack for the jars and instructions, about $23). Then remove from hot water bath and let cool. The lids will seal as they cool.

Then let them sit about a week before eating (Lets the flavor get into the pickles)

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, the trick to keeping them crispy is to make sure the pickles are ice cold before you pack them in the jar. I keep large batches of pickles in a cooler filled with ice water for four to eight hours before canning. When I am ready to can, I bring them in, slice them into spears and put them in a sink filled with ice water until they go in the jar. I think the alum powder in the brine is also supposed to help with crispness.

I've not tried whole pickles like this, but I'm sure it would work the same. Can't hurt to try. We are really enjoying ours so far, good flavor and nice and crispy.

If the pickles are too big they can come out a little mushy also, I try and manage picking them when they are the right size, but they grow so fast they are hard to keep up with and sometimes get too large.

Good luck with the gerkins:D

Post if you have any more questions.

Mark

Last edited: